The Motor Forum Forum Index The Motor Forum
"We are mature men in the highest cadres of our careers"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RDQ 3/9: Minor irritants.
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Motor Forum Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.






Posted:     Post subject:

Back to top
Twelfth Monkey
Nuclear

My Car: B7 RS4 Saloon, A3 Sportback 2.0T

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 14462


Location: The Fortress of Ultimate Darkness; that or the pub.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: RDQ 3/9: Minor irritants.  Reply with quote

Anything presently irritating you in a minor, probably irrational way?  Not the sort of stuff that prompts a 'rant', but which grinds your gears anyway.

Mine is people who can't help themselves but begin sentences with the word 'so'.  This is a link between two things, and not a start in its own right.  Seems to be endemic in TV science programmes, and one of the team captains on Only Connect a few weeks ago couldn't help himself.

I don't know why, but it raises my hackles.

As does Only Connect, come to think about it.  A good idea, but Coren-Mitchell I find about as endearing as a mouthful of rotten food.
_________________
"Accident Blackspot"? These aren't accidents. They're throwing themselves into the road gladly. Throwing themselves into the road to escape all this hideousness.'

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TreVoR
Nuclear

My Car: Probably Broken

Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Posts: 12589



PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm learning how to play golf at the moment. I was invited out for a round yesterday and my companion spent the entire time telling what I was doing wrong and how to correct it.  It got marginally annoying, to say the least.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Humphrey The Pug
Nuclear

My Car: Depends on what has the most fuel!

Joined: 31 Dec 2006
Posts: 14646


Location: Here

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate it when people finish off a post or comment with "just saying".

You see it on forums or comments sections on websites, someone will post something and finish it off with "just saying", err yeahh we know as you wrote it down, it really annoys me.

Just saying!
_________________
Mummy, Daddy, Sissy, Sassy Baby.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PhilD
Nuclear

My Car: Fiat Grande Punto Sporting

Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 15807



PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would though wouldn't you 12th?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stuntman
Twin-charged

My Car: M3 Saloon, Cayman S and GT4

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 8046


Location: Cheltenham

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly would...  I like Only Connect, especially the missing vowels questions.  I'd be a valued team member in that round!

I find the 'So' thing mildly irritating but language always moves with the times, whether some of us like it or not.  In the same way, I also find 'Can I get' mildly irritating.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blarno
Cheapskate Know-it-all

My Car: The Flying Glacier Mint

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 17038


Location: The Shores of Hell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humans.

Humans irritate me.

And cats.
_________________
Sphincteral Twitch: Debut EP "Disastrous Rectal Misfortune" work in progress.

Morbid Obesity: Debut album "Shallow Gravy" due...work in progress.

Spiderpuncher - A seedy trip into electro industrial madness.

Pathway - Punk. Loud. Probably crap.

Giant wrote:
Blarno is right
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gooner
Twin-charged

My Car: Insignia low tax special and Fiat Panda Eleganza

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 8923


Location: here, there and every bloody where!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People beginning a sentence with "And I was like:" It seems to be happening a lot these days and the more I think of it the more wrong it seems.

Also glitter. It took forever to get it off the boot floor this afternoon. I had to resort to popping to the office and using the cleaners Henry to get it all out 😡
_________________


- Insert clever and/or amusing quote here -
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Twelfth Monkey
Nuclear

My Car: B7 RS4 Saloon, A3 Sportback 2.0T

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 14462


Location: The Fortress of Ultimate Darkness; that or the pub.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilD wrote:
You would though wouldn't you 12th?


Oh, and posts without commas.



Oh god, I've only just twigged what you mean! No, nay, never, I feel a bit sick!

It's the predictability of her banter that gets me:

VCM: 'So, how have you been preparing since your defeat by the Rancid Cow-Fuckers?'

Captain: 'We've been reading up on medieval folk dance, and investigating Cardiff's hostelries.'

VCM: 'Everybody sing along - 1, 2, 3...'

The teams: 'I've got a brand new combine harvester...'


It feels like the home for all those bright but socially inept and painfully dull people you remember from A-levels and beyond...
_________________
"Accident Blackspot"? These aren't accidents. They're throwing themselves into the road gladly. Throwing themselves into the road to escape all this hideousness.'



Last edited by Twelfth Monkey on Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Twelfth Monkey
Nuclear

My Car: B7 RS4 Saloon, A3 Sportback 2.0T

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 14462


Location: The Fortress of Ultimate Darkness; that or the pub.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuntman wrote:
I certainly would... I like Only Connect, especially the missing vowels questions. I'd be a valued team member in that round!

I find the 'So' thing mildly irritating but language always moves with the times, whether some of us like it or not. In the same way, I also find 'Can I get' mildly irritating.


That's the only round we're good at, and like you tend to do better than most of the teams. Tend to be rubbish at much of the rest, particularly the music rounds.

Agree about 'can I get?' Heard it in America years ago, which is why I think it's caught on. Baaaah!
_________________
"Accident Blackspot"? These aren't accidents. They're throwing themselves into the road gladly. Throwing themselves into the road to escape all this hideousness.'

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Frank Bullitt
Nuclear

My Car: .
View My Motor: .

Joined: 29 Feb 2008
Posts: 12848



PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always think language and vocabulary evolve, be it for the better or worse so there isn't much that upsets me in that respect, perhaps if only put short-lived fashions into the category, such as the current need to add 'really' (raised towards the end) when referring to something blindingly obvious.

I suppose people who clearly seem to be able to get themselves out of bed yet unable to make simple decisions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chris M Wanted a V-10
Supercharged

My Car: C-Max'D, CapturD and GOK the Wok

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 7160


Location: Captur'd by 1 5UMO near Camberley. Forum F1 champ 2011 and 2015

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People driving who are too lazy (or whatever) to use their indicators when they are about to turn (and countless other minor irritations - not all motoring related too)
_________________
Wanted a V-10 ; settled for half a V-6
October 2012:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
simonp
Supercharged

My Car: is silver again

Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 7063


Location: Wiltshire

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twelfth Monkey wrote:
It feels like the home for all those bright but socially inept and painfully dull people you remember from A-levels and beyond...


I wouldn't know, I happily left school at 16 into my life of mediocrity. Best year of one's life? Nope, I fucking hated it. I was in an awful no man's land of being clever enough to converse with the nerds, but having absolutely no desire to because the thickos I preferred the company of were having more fun. My school despaired because I had an IQ of 140+, but also held their detention record!

I also can't stand Only Connect, mostly because of the hostess.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PG
Nuclear

My Car: Jaaaag XFR; Shogun "truck"; Peugeot horse "van"

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 10156


Location: Shropshire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonp wrote:
I also can't stand Only Connect, mostly because of the hostess.


It is one of those shows that the commissioning editors, creators and participants obviously think is very good and very funny. And which I don't.

So back to the OP really
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Michael
Nuclear

My Car: is vast.

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 10367


Location: On the hill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blarno wrote:
Humans.

Humans irritate me.

And cats.


It's difficult to argue with any of this.
_________________
For office use only.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DetmoldDick
Turbocharged

My Car: cooking on gas

Joined: 26 Dec 2006
Posts: 2578


Location: Detmold, Germany

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: RDQ 3/9: Minor irritants. Reply with quote

Twelfth Monkey wrote:
A people who can't help themselves but begin sentences with the word 'so'.

I find about as endearing as a mouthful of rotten food.


These two things made me think of a recent post in Facebook (sorry but bare with me)
https://www.facebook.com/hemley/p...9993776389540/?type=3&theater

#9 had me in tears
_________________
A thing of beauty is a joy forever; Keats.

However loud it may be, in space, no one can hear your shirt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Twelfth Monkey
Nuclear

My Car: B7 RS4 Saloon, A3 Sportback 2.0T

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 14462


Location: The Fortress of Ultimate Darkness; that or the pub.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris M Wanted a V-10 wrote:
People driving who are too lazy (or whatever) to use their indicators when they are about to turn (and countless other minor irritations - not all motoring related too)


Especially when you sit there waiting for them to pass, and realise you've missed an opportunity to pull out because they were too lazy/thick/ignorant to have bothered with the Herculean task of moving a stalk an inch or so...
_________________
"Accident Blackspot"? These aren't accidents. They're throwing themselves into the road gladly. Throwing themselves into the road to escape all this hideousness.'

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
PhilD
Nuclear

My Car: Fiat Grande Punto Sporting

Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 15807



PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twelfth Monkey wrote:


It feels like the home for all those bright but socially inept and painfully dull people you remember from A-levels and beyond...


If only they had crossed the 6th Form common room floor to hang out with the cool kids and talk about new cars they had spotted or digital watches  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bob Sacamano
Nuclear

My Car: BMW 320d M Sport Auto

Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Posts: 11884



PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spending a productive evening preparing some healthy meals to take to work for lunch, and then forgetting about them and leaving them in the fridge.

I really don't know why I bother, I do it all the time.  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DetmoldDick
Turbocharged

My Car: cooking on gas

Joined: 26 Dec 2006
Posts: 2578


Location: Detmold, Germany

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Sacamano wrote:
forgetting about them and leaving them in the fridge.



I do the same but with evening-meal leftovers
_________________
A thing of beauty is a joy forever; Keats.

However loud it may be, in space, no one can hear your shirt.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Twelfth Monkey
Nuclear

My Car: B7 RS4 Saloon, A3 Sportback 2.0T

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 14462


Location: The Fortress of Ultimate Darkness; that or the pub.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilD wrote:
Twelfth Monkey wrote:


It feels like the home for all those bright but socially inept and painfully dull people you remember from A-levels and beyond...


If only they had crossed the 6th Form common room floor to hang out with the cool kids and talk about new cars they had spotted or digital watches


There's really no response to that, is there?
_________________
"Accident Blackspot"? These aren't accidents. They're throwing themselves into the road gladly. Throwing themselves into the road to escape all this hideousness.'

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Racing Teatray
Nuclear

My Car: BMW 440i GC and Fiat 500

Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 12819


Location: Wrong side of the tracks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inability of the roses in my garden to cope with any form of mildly heavy rain.

It's dry for weeks, the effing things finally bloom, and lo and behold it rains and the next morning is a scene of snapped stem devastation.

Ok, I am new to this gardening malarkey but this does seem stupid.
_________________
'Bahnwafting...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Michael
Nuclear

My Car: is vast.

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 10367


Location: On the hill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have this habit of planting roses on their own but as plants they tend to grow wild amongst other things, particularly in hedges that would afford them greater protection.
_________________
For office use only.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PhilD
Nuclear

My Car: Fiat Grande Punto Sporting

Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 15807



PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twelfth Monkey wrote:
PhilD wrote:
Twelfth Monkey wrote:


It feels like the home for all those bright but socially inept and painfully dull people you remember from A-levels and beyond...


If only they had crossed the 6th Form common room floor to hang out with the cool kids and talk about new cars they had spotted or digital watches


There's really no response to that, is there?


Sorry    (and I do know what you mean!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JohnC
Supercharged

My Car: 435D Coupe

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 5098


Location: Scotland

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racing Teatray wrote:
The inability of the roses in my garden to cope with any form of mildly heavy rain.

It's dry for weeks, the effing things finally bloom, and lo and behold it rains and the next morning is a scene of snapped stem devastation.

Ok, I am new to this gardening malarkey but this does seem stupid.


Roses planted on their own tend to need to have sticks/canes to which they are attached by a small piece of wire or twine.

A common Glasgow phrase is By The Way...."I'm just going home, by the way" or "Where did you go on holiday by the way" or "By the way what's the best way to get to the pub"

Does my head in!
_________________
Every man is the architect of his own future.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tim
Nuclear

My Car: is multiplying

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 13134


Location: Over the rainbow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weegies also like to slip the word 'but' in at the end of sentences.

The 'so' thing annoys me and our CEO here still does it. He's a nice guy apart from that (well, that and his love of Dundee Football Club   ).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grampa
Turbocharged

My Car: 2006 Mini Cooper 2010 Scirocco 2.0 TSI GT 1962 Morris Minor

Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 4491



PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The so thing annoys me slightly too - what I find more annoying is people saying 'Yeah?' after a suggestion/instruction and people who when in agreement with you say, 'yeah, yeah, yeah'.
_________________
Andrew L


Last edited by Grampa on Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Michael
Nuclear

My Car: is vast.

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 10367


Location: On the hill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim wrote:
Weegies also like to slip the word 'but' in at the end of sentences.


Reminds me of the opinion pieces in The National I keep seeing on twitter written in 'Scots' - or more likely by an infant. Quite annoying.


_________________
For office use only.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Twelfth Monkey
Nuclear

My Car: B7 RS4 Saloon, A3 Sportback 2.0T

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 14462


Location: The Fortress of Ultimate Darkness; that or the pub.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racing Teatray wrote:
The inability of the roses in my garden to cope with any form of mildly heavy rain.

It's dry for weeks, the effing things finally bloom, and lo and behold it rains and the next morning is a scene of snapped stem devastation.

Ok, I am new to this gardening malarkey but this does seem stupid.


I reckon that any plant requiring more than water and sunshine is taking the piss, personally...
_________________
"Accident Blackspot"? These aren't accidents. They're throwing themselves into the road gladly. Throwing themselves into the road to escape all this hideousness.'

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
PhilD
Nuclear

My Car: Fiat Grande Punto Sporting

Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 15807



PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twelfth Monkey wrote:
Racing Teatray wrote:
The inability of the roses in my garden to cope with any form of mildly heavy rain.

It's dry for weeks, the effing things finally bloom, and lo and behold it rains and the next morning is a scene of snapped stem devastation.

Ok, I am new to this gardening malarkey but this does seem stupid.


I reckon that any plant requiring more than water and sunshine is taking the piss, personally...


Does that work? happy to give it a try.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PG
Nuclear

My Car: Jaaaag XFR; Shogun "truck"; Peugeot horse "van"

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 10156


Location: Shropshire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilD wrote:
Twelfth Monkey wrote:
Racing Teatray wrote:
The inability of the roses in my garden to cope with any form of mildly heavy rain.

It's dry for weeks, the effing things finally bloom, and lo and behold it rains and the next morning is a scene of snapped stem devastation.

Ok, I am new to this gardening malarkey but this does seem stupid.


I reckon that any plant requiring more than water and sunshine is taking the piss, personally...


Does that work? happy to give it a try.


Urea is a great source of nitrogen, so yes it does work.  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PG
Nuclear

My Car: Jaaaag XFR; Shogun "truck"; Peugeot horse "van"

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 10156


Location: Shropshire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
Blarno wrote:
Humans.

Humans irritate me.

And cats.


It's difficult to argue with any of this.


I don't know. Cats are not that annoying.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Twelfth Monkey
Nuclear

My Car: B7 RS4 Saloon, A3 Sportback 2.0T

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 14462


Location: The Fortress of Ultimate Darkness; that or the pub.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

75% of the cats we had were. That's nearly 8 out of 10...
_________________
"Accident Blackspot"? These aren't accidents. They're throwing themselves into the road gladly. Throwing themselves into the road to escape all this hideousness.'

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
PhilD
Nuclear

My Car: Fiat Grande Punto Sporting

Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 15807



PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PG wrote:
PhilD wrote:
Twelfth Monkey wrote:
Racing Teatray wrote:
The inability of the roses in my garden to cope with any form of mildly heavy rain.

It's dry for weeks, the effing things finally bloom, and lo and behold it rains and the next morning is a scene of snapped stem devastation.

Ok, I am new to this gardening malarkey but this does seem stupid.


I reckon that any plant requiring more than water and sunshine is taking the piss, personally...


Does that work? happy to give it a try.


Urea is a great source of nitrogen, so yes it does work.


Might start with those in the back garden rather than the hanging baskets out front.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Boxer6
Twin-charged

My Car: Subaru Legacy Spec B.

Joined: 03 Jan 2007
Posts: 9172


Location: The dark recesses of my mind......

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim wrote:
Weegies also like to slip the word 'but' in at the end of sentences.


A particular 'favourite' round here is "know?". I think it's short for "you know" and it is incredibly annoying, especially when you've heard it for the 83rd time that day then start saying it yourself.

Know?
_________________
I'll wait up in the dark

For you to speak to me . . .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Scouse
Turbocharged

My Car: Volvo XC60/Ford Fiesta/Jaguar XJ

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 3591


Location: Ormskirk, Lancashire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'But it's Cash' as an excuse for offering approximately 50% of what a house is on the market for.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Roadsterstu
Nuclear

My Car: threelitreturbosixallwheeldrive

Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 12728


Location: Over there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is so much that irritates me that I don't know where to start!
_________________
T6
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Twelfth Monkey
Nuclear

My Car: B7 RS4 Saloon, A3 Sportback 2.0T

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 14462


Location: The Fortress of Ultimate Darkness; that or the pub.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twelfth Monkey wrote:
It's the predictability of her banter that gets me:

VCM: 'So, how have you been preparing since your defeat by the Rancid Cow-Fuckers?'

Captain: 'We've been reading up on medieval folk dance, and investigating Cardiff's hostelries.'

VCM: 'Everybody sing along - 1, 2, 3...'

The teams: 'I've got a brand new combine harvester...'


Anyone else see it last night? I rest my fucking case...


Also, the music is almost deliberately 'aren't we cultured and clever' in its horribleness. And my, they can be pedantic when they want but fudge it when it either suits them or they just get something wrong. A gorilla is an ape, not a monkey, so the team answering the 'Chinese year of the...' question got it wrong.


Oh, and while I'm at it, the lines 'Your bill has changed', from the likes of Virgin Media. You mean it's gone up, so say so, you cunts. And under it saying 'The good stuff just keeps on coming', where you list some crap about getting awards and the like means jack shit to me. It just rubs in that unlike pretty much anything else on the planet, you can (and do) just charge what you feel like. My initial contract with them was 'changed' (see the pattern here?) within 3-4 months.

I'm erring on the rant, here...
_________________
"Accident Blackspot"? These aren't accidents. They're throwing themselves into the road gladly. Throwing themselves into the road to escape all this hideousness.'



Last edited by Twelfth Monkey on Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
PG
Nuclear

My Car: Jaaaag XFR; Shogun "truck"; Peugeot horse "van"

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 10156


Location: Shropshire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twelfth Monkey wrote:
Oh, and while I'm at it, the lines 'Your bill has changed', from the likes of Virgin Media. .....


Generally annoying is all bills for utilities, phones etc seem to be needlessly complicated. Our Scottish Electric bill is a great case in point.  

If you pay monthly on dd, what you want to know is  -
How much you paid
The electric you used
The net balance owed / owing
plus your average monthly spend on power v what you pay.

So let's spread that over three pages of figures shall we?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JohnC
Supercharged

My Car: 435D Coupe

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 5098


Location: Scotland

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who wait until the lights have changed to green before putting their phones down........then selecting a gear and slowly engaging the clutch and oh that's a shame, they have changed back to red.....now back to that text!
_________________
Every man is the architect of his own future.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Humphrey The Pug
Nuclear

My Car: Depends on what has the most fuel!

Joined: 31 Dec 2006
Posts: 14646


Location: Here

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PG wrote:
Twelfth Monkey wrote:
Oh, and while I'm at it, the lines 'Your bill has changed', from the likes of Virgin Media. .....


Generally annoying is all bills for utilities, phones etc seem to be needlessly complicated. Our Scottish Electric bill is a great case in point.

If you pay monthly on dd, what you want to know is -
How much you paid
The electric you used
The net balance owed / owing
plus your average monthly spend on power v what you pay.

So let's spread that over three pages of figures shall we?


I wouldn't be surprised if they were as complicated as they are due to whatever watchdog that monitors them, instructing them to do so to make it "more transparent for consumers".

I deal with car finance, the paperwork is needlessly complicated in an effort to make things "clearer for consumers".
_________________
Mummy, Daddy, Sissy, Sassy Baby.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JohnC
Supercharged

My Car: 435D Coupe

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 5098


Location: Scotland

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that every year I have to watch the renewal date for my phone contract and phone them up to get another deal.
I am actually very happy with the deal and every year I manage to get even more.....but why do I need to go through the hassle.

I was very happily on 600 minutes, unlimited texts and 2.5GB of data on a 12 mth sim only for 10.50 a month. If I hadn't done anything it would have reverted to 500 minutes, 500MB of data, unlimited texts and 14/mth which I would not be happy with.

So after a give me my PAC code phone call I have unlimited minutes, unlimited texts and 6GB of data for 10.80 which I am delighted with.
_________________
Every man is the architect of his own future.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PG
Nuclear

My Car: Jaaaag XFR; Shogun "truck"; Peugeot horse "van"

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 10156


Location: Shropshire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only life was that simple....


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frank Bullitt
Nuclear

My Car: .
View My Motor: .

Joined: 29 Feb 2008
Posts: 12848



PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humphrey The Pug wrote:
PG wrote:
Twelfth Monkey wrote:
Oh, and while I'm at it, the lines 'Your bill has changed', from the likes of Virgin Media. .....


Generally annoying is all bills for utilities, phones etc seem to be needlessly complicated. Our Scottish Electric bill is a great case in point.

If you pay monthly on dd, what you want to know is -
How much you paid
The electric you used
The net balance owed / owing
plus your average monthly spend on power v what you pay.

So let's spread that over three pages of figures shall we?


I wouldn't be surprised if they were as complicated as they are due to whatever watchdog that monitors them, instructing them to do so to make it "more transparent for consumers".

I deal with car finance, the paperwork is needlessly complicated in an effort to make things "clearer for consumers".


I can only imagine how painful it is - we bought the new DS4 with cash and I had to sign about 15 documents.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bob Sacamano
Nuclear

My Car: BMW 320d M Sport Auto

Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Posts: 11884



PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Bullitt wrote:
Humphrey The Pug wrote:
PG wrote:
Twelfth Monkey wrote:
Oh, and while I'm at it, the lines 'Your bill has changed', from the likes of Virgin Media. .....


Generally annoying is all bills for utilities, phones etc seem to be needlessly complicated. Our Scottish Electric bill is a great case in point.

If you pay monthly on dd, what you want to know is -
How much you paid
The electric you used
The net balance owed / owing
plus your average monthly spend on power v what you pay.

So let's spread that over three pages of figures shall we?


I wouldn't be surprised if they were as complicated as they are due to whatever watchdog that monitors them, instructing them to do so to make it "more transparent for consumers".

I deal with car finance, the paperwork is needlessly complicated in an effort to make things "clearer for consumers".


I can only imagine how painful it is - we bought the new DS4 with cash and I had to sign about 15 documents.


Yeah that opens the whole "money laundering" can of worms.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PhilD
Nuclear

My Car: Fiat Grande Punto Sporting

Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 15807



PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PG wrote:
If only life was that simple....




Memes irritate me  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tim
Nuclear

My Car: is multiplying

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 13134


Location: Over the rainbow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Sacamano wrote:

Yeah that opens the whole "money laundering" can of worms.


Money laundering makes me laugh, it's so haphazard.

We're re-doing our whole client base because they came across to us 2 years ago when the company was split off from the original parent.

Nobody in compliance, either internal or external, is prepared to give a definitive answer on how detailed the check should be for long-established clients who we're in regular contact with.
Thank god for 192!  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Scouse
Turbocharged

My Car: Volvo XC60/Ford Fiesta/Jaguar XJ

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 3591


Location: Ormskirk, Lancashire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another irritant:
'Can I see a house please?'
Certainly, when would you like to go? Morning or Afternoon?
'Oh anytime'
Tomorrow at 11am?
'No, can't do then.'
Thursday at 4.30?
'No, can't do then'
Friday at 2pm?
'No, can't do then'
Saturday lunchtime?
'No, can't do then'
So when can you do?
'Like I said, anytime.......'
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Humphrey The Pug
Nuclear

My Car: Depends on what has the most fuel!

Joined: 31 Dec 2006
Posts: 14646


Location: Here

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scouse wrote:
Another irritant:
'Can I see a house please?'
Certainly, when would you like to go? Morning or Afternoon?
'Oh anytime'
Tomorrow at 11am?
'No, can't do then.'
Thursday at 4.30?
'No, can't do then'
Friday at 2pm?
'No, can't do then'
Saturday lunchtime?
'No, can't do then'
So when can you do?
'Like I said, anytime.......'


Lol, I get this quite often:

me: "hi there can I help?"
them: "I'm looking for a car"
me: "you've come to the right place, what are you looking for?"
them: "err not sure"
me: "ok, 3 or 5 door?"
them: "it doesn't matter"
me: "what size car?"
them: "doesn't matter"
me: "manual or automatic?"
them: "doesn't matter"
me: "diesel or petrol?"
them: "doesn't matter"
me: "what do you need the car to do for you?"
them: "errr this and that, you know"
me: "what sort of budget do you have?"
them: "depends on the car"

arghhhhhh!!

Another irritant is people who try and play a game; just tell me what you want to achieve and I'll see if I can do it, you be upfront with me and I'll be upfront with you, none of this "best price" bullshit, tell me straight out that you want the car for 5500 or you want the monthlies to be 250, it saves a whole heap of time and aggro for the both of us.
_________________
Mummy, Daddy, Sissy, Sassy Baby.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PhilD
Nuclear

My Car: Fiat Grande Punto Sporting

Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 15807



PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humphrey The Pug wrote:


Lol, I get this quite often:

me: "hi there can I help?"
them: "I'm looking for a car"
me: "you've come to the right place, what are you looking for?"
them: "err not sure"
me: "ok, 3 or 5 door?"
them: "it doesn't matter"
me: "what size car?"
them: "doesn't matter"
me: "manual or automatic?"
them: "doesn't matter"
me: "diesel or petrol?"
them: "doesn't matter"
me: "what do you need the car to do for you?"
them: "errr this and that, you know"
me: "what sort of budget do you have?"
them: "depends on the car"


Does that end with;

them: "Oh, you only have Renaults, I wanted an Audi"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Michael
Nuclear

My Car: is vast.

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 10367


Location: On the hill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humphrey The Pug wrote:

Another irritant is people who try and play a game; just tell me what you want to achieve and I'll see if I can do it, you be upfront with me and I'll be upfront with you, none of this "best price" bullshit, tell me straight out that you want the car for 5500 or you want the monthlies to be 250, it saves a whole heap of time and aggro for the both of us.


Likewise you could just be upfront with them and say honestly this is the best I can do before any negotiations. The reason the game is played is because if cars were sold like that we wouldn't need salesmen.


_________________
For office use only.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Motor Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum