The Motor Forum Forum Index The Motor Forum
"We are mature men in the highest cadres of our careers"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAR Mag

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Read All About It
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.






Posted:     Post subject:

Back to top
Tim
Nuclear

My Car: is multiplying

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 13134


Location: Over the rainbow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: CAR Mag  Reply with quote

Is CAR mag owned by a German company?

I only ask because their industry articles always appear to focus on Ze Cherman marques - there's a news article about BMW's future plan for the I range.

Can't recall seeing anything similar for Kia, Renault, Fiat, etc. but have seen it for VW, Merc, Audi, Porsche.

Another irritation, and common to all the car mags, is the attention given to on track performance.
I can understand it with something like the 911 GT3, etc but not the Alfa Stelvio (as covered in the cars of 2017 feature)  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Twelfth Monkey
Nuclear

My Car: B7 RS4 Saloon, A3 Sportback 2.0T

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 14462


Location: The Fortress of Ultimate Darkness; that or the pub.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't bought it for years.  Kacher always seemed to love everything German, does he still?  Assuming he hasn't left or had a heart attack...
_________________
"Accident Blackspot"? These aren't accidents. They're throwing themselves into the road gladly. Throwing themselves into the road to escape all this hideousness.'

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tim
Nuclear

My Car: is multiplying

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 13134


Location: Over the rainbow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, no and no.

Occasionally a story has his name against it but it comes across as having been written by someone much younger but he's regularly in the photos that go along with articles.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Racing Teatray
Nuclear

My Car: BMW 440i GC and Fiat 500

Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 12819


Location: Wrong side of the tracks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it makes up for the hyperbole on offer from Autocar whenever a "British" marque so much as rebadges one of their models...
_________________
'Bahnwafting...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Twelfth Monkey
Nuclear

My Car: B7 RS4 Saloon, A3 Sportback 2.0T

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 14462


Location: The Fortress of Ultimate Darkness; that or the pub.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you often point out in topics relating to more serious matter, two wrongs and all that.

And then there's evo, for real men who only over-rotate and travel sideways.  I don't think we're at a zenith as far as automotive journalism goes.
_________________
"Accident Blackspot"? These aren't accidents. They're throwing themselves into the road gladly. Throwing themselves into the road to escape all this hideousness.'

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tim
Nuclear

My Car: is multiplying

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 13134


Location: Over the rainbow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UK car mags have spent long enough criticising British cars that a bit of support is long overdue.

I'm not saying British cars didn't deserve criticism but they appeared to be getting it for issues or characteristics that other manufacturers products also had.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr. Hfuhruhurr
Propellorhead

My Car: Mini Countryman Cooper S All4

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 15518


Location: Europa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like any of the "XYZ's amazing new model plans" articles, because

- they're like all those tedious "20 xxx that will BLOW YOUR MIND" links on every web page

- they're pure guesswork, despite what Car (especially) would have you believe about their inside sources

As Tim says, though, it's interesting that they only speculate about European marques. Could it be that

- Japanese and American marques have no coherent future model strategy (as opposed to, say, Alfa Romeo ...)

- European mags can't be bothered to find journalists in those countries who'd know about such a strategy, if it existed (a bit like EU/US intelligence agencies being unable to find agent to infiltrate jihadi groups)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blarno
Cheapskate Know-it-all

My Car: The Flying Glacier Mint

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 17038


Location: The Shores of Hell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could tell you about XYZ's amazing plans (Substitute for 3 other letters), but I would be shot and then handed my P45.
_________________
Sphincteral Twitch: Debut EP "Disastrous Rectal Misfortune" work in progress.

Morbid Obesity: Debut album "Shallow Gravy" due...work in progress.

Spiderpuncher - A seedy trip into electro industrial madness.

Pathway - Punk. Loud. Probably crap.

Giant wrote:
Blarno is right
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr. Hfuhruhurr
Propellorhead

My Car: Mini Countryman Cooper S All4

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 15518


Location: Europa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blarno wrote:
I could tell you about XYZ's amazing plans (Substitute for 3 other letters), but I would be shot and then handed my P45.

No need, I can work it out for myself. SUV, then 2-million pound supercar that's already sold out
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nelson
Petrolhead

My Car: Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 1581


Location: Rugby

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't bought CAR for years now. I buy Modern Classics as my sole car mag read these days, really good read, relives memories too

(though unless there are some other features that appeal to me I won't be buying February's issue, due out on the 4th as it's main feature will be a comparison of the Subaru Impreza's and Mitsubishi EVOs over the years...neither interests me in anyway, I have no desire to own one, drive one or be part of the max-power lifestyle)...though saying that I'd rip your hand off if I was offered a MkII Focus RS - in blue in standard spec that is a dream car for me...one day, one day
_________________
I'm quite happy doing this if you'd like to sod off
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BeN
The Motor, Singapore branch.

My Car: Toyota Prius
View My Motor: .

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 11309


Location: Singapore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Hfuhruhurr wrote:

- European mags can't be bothered to find journalists in those countries who'd know about such a strategy, if it existed (a bit like EU/US intelligence agencies being unable to find agent to infiltrate jihadi groups)


It's not difficult. These folks attend plenty of events and meet plenty of industry people all the time. All they need to do is talk with the right people and do a little digging.

Whether they want to or not is a different matter of course.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Tim
Nuclear

My Car: is multiplying

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 13134


Location: Over the rainbow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone at CAR did talk to Sergio Marchionne of Fiat but they rarely seem to talk to anyone else despite, presumably, seeing them at car shows, launches. etc.
I assume it's because of the general desire of the populace and by association car journos to focus on 'premium' products?

When did they last speak to someone from Vauxhall/Opel or Ford?


Nelson wrote:
I buy Modern Classics as my sole car mag read these days, really good read, relives memories too

........due out on the 4th....


I was in WH Smith today and it's on their shelves
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blarno
Cheapskate Know-it-all

My Car: The Flying Glacier Mint

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 17038


Location: The Shores of Hell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Hfuhruhurr wrote:
Blarno wrote:
I could tell you about XYZ's amazing plans (Substitute for 3 other letters), but I would be shot and then handed my P45.

No need, I can work it out for myself. SUV, then 2-million pound supercar that's already sold out


A single seater SUV would be a world first...
_________________
Sphincteral Twitch: Debut EP "Disastrous Rectal Misfortune" work in progress.

Morbid Obesity: Debut album "Shallow Gravy" due...work in progress.

Spiderpuncher - A seedy trip into electro industrial madness.

Pathway - Punk. Loud. Probably crap.

Giant wrote:
Blarno is right
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thomas Magman
Petrolhead

My Car: Ford Sierra/BMW 325ti/A1 1.4T

Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 2043


Location: Shropshire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim wrote:


Nelson wrote:
I buy Modern Classics as my sole car mag read these days, really good read, relives memories too

........due out on the 4th....


I was in WH Smith today and it's on their shelves


Yes, new one is out - EVOs/Imprezas, 911 vs TVR from late 80s, Uno Turbo, 80s hatch convertibles etc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TreVoR
Nuclear

My Car: Probably Broken

Joined: 19 Feb 2008
Posts: 12589



PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They like TVRs in Modern Classics. It is a monthly now and I have it on subscription.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr. Hfuhruhurr
Propellorhead

My Car: Mini Countryman Cooper S All4

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 15518


Location: Europa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim wrote:
Someone at CAR did talk to Sergio Marchionne of Fiat but they rarely seem to talk to anyone else despite, presumably, seeing them at car shows, launches. etc. I assume it's because of the general desire of the populace and by association car journos to focus on 'premium' products?

That's a good point - when they talk to him, it's only ever about Alfa. They don't care about Fiat (or Chrysler), though there are some good reasons for that. Heard the (Giulietta-based) Dart is not long for this world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nelson
Petrolhead

My Car: Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 1581


Location: Rugby

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas Magman wrote:
Tim wrote:


Nelson wrote:
I buy Modern Classics as my sole car mag read these days, really good read, relives memories too

........due out on the 4th....


I was in WH Smith today and it's on their shelves


Yes, new one is out - EVOs/Imprezas, 911 vs TVR from late 80s, Uno Turbo, 80s hatch convertibles etc


Ahh yes, so it is, Tim, doth did confuse me as the January issue said the next issue was due out 4th Feb

Had a quick browse through, apart from a piece on the Uno Turbo and Avantime which appealed I found the rest of the content uninteresting (to me anyway). Forgot to have a look what is in the next issue to whet my appetite
_________________
I'm quite happy doing this if you'd like to sod off
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PG
Nuclear

My Car: Jaaaag XFR; Shogun "truck"; Peugeot horse "van"

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 10156


Location: Shropshire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim wrote:
The UK car mags have spent long enough criticising British cars that a bit of support is long overdue.

I'm not saying British cars didn't deserve criticism but they appeared to be getting it for issues or characteristics that other manufacturers products also had.


And even if Autocar do write positive stuff about a British marque, the comments below confirm all to often that people think ze Germans can walk on water by comparison. And if Mini (sorry, MINI) do anything, then the comment section almost goes into melt-down.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cbeaks1
Petrolhead

My Car: C-Max and ST-3

Joined: 18 Jul 2007
Posts: 2329


Location: Yorkshire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The comments sections are 90% troll in there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PhilD
Nuclear

My Car: Fiat Grande Punto Sporting

Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 15807



PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbeaks1 wrote:
The comments sections are 90% kids in there.


FYP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Martin
Nuclear

My Car: BMW 535d M Sport & Boxster 987.2

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 14425


Location: Higham Ferrers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at buying the latest Car magazine in Australia, but it didn't have anything interesting.

I bought Motor, which was very different.  The cover story celebrated the latest HSV Commodore with a naturally aspirated 550hp V8 and inside there was an article on 50 years of "V12 Lambo Lunacy", a group test of the new Alpina B7 vs S8 Plus vs XJR, Macan GTS vs SQ5 Plus, E63 road test, several pages on a stunning Singer etc.   Not a dull hatchback or supermini in sight, the least powerful car featured was the new Abarth Spider.   The language used isn't to my style, but you'd never mistake it as a mag from another country.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chris M Wanted a V-10
Supercharged

My Car: C-Max'D, CapturD and GOK the Wok

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 7160


Location: Captur'd by 1 5UMO near Camberley. Forum F1 champ 2011 and 2015

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always good, IMHO, to visit another English-speaking country and to buy a local car mag
_________________
Wanted a V-10 ; settled for half a V-6
October 2012:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
BeN
The Motor, Singapore branch.

My Car: Toyota Prius
View My Motor: .

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 11309


Location: Singapore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin wrote:
I looked at buying the latest Car magazine in Australia, but it didn't have anything interesting.

I bought Motor, which was very different.  The cover story celebrated the latest HSV Commodore with a naturally aspirated 550hp V8 and inside there was an article on 50 years of "V12 Lambo Lunacy", a group test of the new Alpina B7 vs S8 Plus vs XJR, Macan GTS vs SQ5 Plus, E63 road test, several pages on a stunning Singer etc.   Not a dull hatchback or supermini in sight, the least powerful car featured was the new Abarth Spider.   The language used isn't to my style, but you'd never mistake it as a mag from another country.


Motor is a bit like Australia's Evo I think. With a general focus on performance cars.

Wheels is the 'mainstream' title where all the regular stuff are.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Read All About It All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum