The Motor Forum Forum Index The Motor Forum
"We are mature men in the highest cadres of our careers"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It's a new taste sensation
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Motor Forum Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.






Posted:     Post subject:

Back to top
cbeaks1
Petrolhead

My Car: C-Max and ST-3

Joined: 18 Jul 2007
Posts: 2329


Location: Yorkshire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote

On the wine front Terre do Faiano Primitivo from Waitrose is bloody good. 25% off for another 10 days so £6.99 or so.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JohnC
Supercharged

My Car: 435D Coupe

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 5098


Location: Scotland

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing beats a burger from the butcher, cooked on a barbecue and served up with lots of relish on a proper McGhee's roll.

Or maybe it's just that I only manage to get the barbecue out once a year that the memory makes it taste better! I never have a burger when I am out because it always disappoints.
_________________
Every man is the architect of his own future.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PhilD
Nuclear

My Car: Fiat Grande Punto Sporting

Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 15807



PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnC wrote:
There's nothing beats a burger from the butcher, cooked on a barbecue and served up with lots of relish on a proper McGhee's roll.



Agreed, so when can we come over?!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
simonp
Supercharged

My Car: is silver again

Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 7061


Location: Wiltshire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought a sous vide gizmo. Hoping it's not one of those toasted sandwich maker type things that gets used a few times before gathering cobwebs in the back of a cupboard as it it was rather expensive!
_________________
Washed it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PhilD
Nuclear

My Car: Fiat Grande Punto Sporting

Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 15807



PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbeaks1 wrote:
On the wine front Terre do Faiano Primitivo from Waitrose is bloody good. 25% off for another 10 days so £6.99 or so.


Primitivo is one of my favourite grapes/wines, though I'm not sure if the tannins are good for me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Martin
Nuclear

My Car: BMW 535d M Sport & Boxster 987.2

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 14425


Location: Higham Ferrers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lindsay will be heading to the butcher in about an hour to pick up 2 of his finest burgers and some sausages, having a BBQ this evening.  That will be our 7th or 8th this year, so not too bad, but would have more if we could.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Humphrey The Pug
Nuclear

My Car: Depends on what has the most fuel!

Joined: 31 Dec 2006
Posts: 14646


Location: Here

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonp wrote:
I've just bought a sous vide gizmo. Hoping it's not one of those toasted sandwich maker type things that gets used a few times before gathering cobwebs in the back of a cupboard as it it was rather expensive!


One of those is getting me a bit interested; too much Master Chef.
_________________
Mummy, Daddy, Sissy, Sassy Baby.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Martin
Nuclear

My Car: BMW 535d M Sport & Boxster 987.2

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 14425


Location: Higham Ferrers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that just DIY boil in the bag?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bob Sacamano
Nuclear

My Car: BMW 320d M Sport Auto

Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Posts: 11884



PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aldi Wagu burgers in their Brioche Buns are immense but you have to be quick as they sell out so fast.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Martin
Nuclear

My Car: BMW 535d M Sport & Boxster 987.2

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 14425


Location: Higham Ferrers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waitrose Brioche buns are nice, as are their Aberdeen Angus Steak Burgers.  Their Brioche buns with the better burgers the butchers does is the best combo and what I'll be having later....I'm starting to feel really hungry.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
simonp
Supercharged

My Car: is silver again

Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 7061


Location: Wiltshire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humphrey The Pug wrote:
simonp wrote:
I've just bought a sous vide gizmo. Hoping it's not one of those toasted sandwich maker type things that gets used a few times before gathering cobwebs in the back of a cupboard as it it was rather expensive!


One of those is getting me a bit interested; too much Master Chef.


Search for Anova £40 off. That's the one I went for. Gets really good reviews on Serious Eats.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
simonp
Supercharged

My Car: is silver again

Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 7061


Location: Wiltshire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin wrote:
Waitrose Brioche buns are nice, as are their Aberdeen Angus Steak Burgers.


Buns yes, burgers no, too gristly. Best ready made supermarket burgers are the Asda ones. They were called rump steak burgers once, but I think they're called Butcher's Choice or something similar now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JohnC
Supercharged

My Car: 435D Coupe

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 5098


Location: Scotland

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilD wrote:
JohnC wrote:
There's nothing beats a burger from the butcher, cooked on a barbecue and served up with lots of relish on a proper McGhee's roll.



Agreed, so when can we come over?!


In my part of the world, a barbecue needs planning in conjunction with the weather forecast. Tonight looks good though!
_________________
Every man is the architect of his own future.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Martin
Nuclear

My Car: BMW 535d M Sport & Boxster 987.2

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 14425


Location: Higham Ferrers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonp wrote:
Martin wrote:
Waitrose Brioche buns are nice, as are their Aberdeen Angus Steak Burgers.


Buns yes, burgers no, too gristly. Best ready made supermarket burgers are the Asda ones. They were called rump steak burgers once, but I think they're called Butcher's Choice or something similar now.


Never thought that, not with those particular ones anyway.  Assuming I've got the name right.

I can't go to Asda.  Not that I really go to the Supermarket thankfully, we get a delivery once a month and Lindsay works next to Waitrose so pops in there as well as the local butchers.

Charcoal on, cold beer in hand, will be cooking soon  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Resident Spanner
Turbocharged

My Car: Peugeot 306

Joined: 26 Jan 2007
Posts: 3174


Location: Rotherham

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnC wrote:

In my part of the world, a barbecue needs planning in conjunction with the weather forecast. Tonight looks good though!


Wouldn't be the first BBQ I've had outside in a downpour, stood next to a big metal thing whilst holding a big metal gold umbrella in a storm - what could go wrong?  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
simonp
Supercharged

My Car: is silver again

Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 7061


Location: Wiltshire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin wrote:
simonp wrote:
Martin wrote:
Waitrose Brioche buns are nice, as are their Aberdeen Angus Steak Burgers.


Buns yes, burgers no, too gristly. Best ready made supermarket burgers are the Asda ones. They were called rump steak burgers once, but I think they're called Butcher's Choice or something similar now.


Never thought that, not with those particular ones anyway.  Assuming I've got the name right.

I can't go to Asda.  Not that I really go to the Supermarket thankfully, we get a delivery once a month and Lindsay works next to Waitrose so pops in there as well as the local butchers.

Charcoal on, cold beer in hand, will be cooking soon  


I'm a bit of a Jack Spratt and hate any chewy bits in me meat, so might just be me. I have made my own burgers for a while now, just so I'm sure of what is going into them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stuntman
Twin-charged

My Car: M3 Saloon, Cayman S and GT4

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 8046


Location: Cheltenham

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilD wrote:
cbeaks1 wrote:
On the wine front Terre do Faiano Primitivo from Waitrose is bloody good. 25% off for another 10 days so £6.99 or so.


Primitivo is one of my favourite grapes/wines, though I'm not sure if the tannins are good for me.


One of my favourite red grapes too.  Alongside Malbec and Shiraz.  I prefer the fuller-bodied reds although I do like a nice smooth claret as well, and a nice Tuscan Sangiovese.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stuntman
Twin-charged

My Car: M3 Saloon, Cayman S and GT4

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 8046


Location: Cheltenham

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Sacamano wrote:
The Aldi Wagu burgers in their Brioche Buns are immense but you have to be quick as they sell out so fast.


Totally agree on those Wagu burgers.  Really tasty.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Humphrey The Pug
Nuclear

My Car: Depends on what has the most fuel!

Joined: 31 Dec 2006
Posts: 14646


Location: Here

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuntman wrote:
Bob Sacamano wrote:
The Aldi Wagu burgers in their Brioche Buns are immense but you have to be quick as they sell out so fast.


Totally agree on those Wagu burgers.  Really tasty.


Another one here who loves the Wagyu burgers; a few weeks ago Aldi were also offering Wagyu steaks, unfortunately I missed out.
_________________
Mummy, Daddy, Sissy, Sassy Baby.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Andy C
Turbocharged

My Car: Ford Focus ST-2 Mountune

Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Posts: 2936


Location: Coventry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can't get to my local (well not really local, but it's so good it's worth the drive) butchers, we buy  our meat from Aldi. The steaks are great and cheaper than Tesco's, Morrisons etc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Resident Spanner
Turbocharged

My Car: Peugeot 306

Joined: 26 Jan 2007
Posts: 3174


Location: Rotherham

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the same, their steaks are superb compared to the rest of the supermarkets.l
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Humphrey The Pug
Nuclear

My Car: Depends on what has the most fuel!

Joined: 31 Dec 2006
Posts: 14646


Location: Here

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldi meat in general is far better than meat from the usual big names; cheaper too.
_________________
Mummy, Daddy, Sissy, Sassy Baby.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chris M Wanted a V-10
Supercharged

My Car: C-Max'D, CapturD and GOK the Wok

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 7160


Location: Captur'd by 1 5UMO near Camberley. Forum F1 champ 2011 and 2015

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnC wrote:
There's nothing beats a burger from the butcher, cooked on a barbecue and served up with lots of relish on a proper McGhee's roll.

I like to buy mid-price burgers and break them into bite-sized pieces then casserole them with plenty of sauce.  Yummy and IMHO far nicer than "just" burgers with sauce
_________________
Wanted a V-10 ; settled for half a V-6
October 2012:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Grampa
Turbocharged

My Car: 2006 Mini Cooper 2010 Scirocco 2.0 TSI GT 1962 Morris Minor

Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 4491



PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: It's a new taste sensation Reply with quote

simonp wrote:
Tried anything new recently that made you go 'wow'?


Llaeth yoghurt
_________________
Andrew L
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PhilD
Nuclear

My Car: Fiat Grande Punto Sporting

Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 15807



PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris M Wanted a V-10 wrote:
JohnC wrote:
There's nothing beats a burger from the butcher, cooked on a barbecue and served up with lots of relish on a proper McGhee's roll.

I like to buy mid-price burgers and break them into bite-sized pieces then casserole them with plenty of sauce.  Yummy and IMHO far nicer than "just" burgers with sauce


you could just buy some mince?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JohnC
Supercharged

My Car: 435D Coupe

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 5098


Location: Scotland

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilD wrote:
Chris M Wanted a V-10 wrote:

I like to buy mid-price burgers and break them into bite-sized pieces then casserole them with plenty of sauce.  Yummy and IMHO far nicer than "just" burgers with sauce


you could just buy some mince?


Or some meatballs!
_________________
Every man is the architect of his own future.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
simonp
Supercharged

My Car: is silver again

Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 7061


Location: Wiltshire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a new taste sensation Reply with quote

Grampa wrote:
simonp wrote:
Tried anything new recently that made you go 'wow'?


Llaeth yoghurt


Never seen those. What is special? Current yogurt faves are Stapleton's lemon curd and Rachel's coconut, the latter of which is superb on a high quality granola...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
simonp
Supercharged

My Car: is silver again

Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 7061


Location: Wiltshire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had some home made beef and onion meatballs in a sauce bought in Waitrose. It was a new one, harissa and sour cherry. Very rich and fruity. Liked it a lot.
_________________
Washed it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PhilD
Nuclear

My Car: Fiat Grande Punto Sporting

Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 15807



PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonp wrote:
Just had some home made beef and onion meatballs in a sauce bought in Waitrose. It was a new one, harissa and sour cherry. Very rich and fruity. Liked it a lot.


That sounds very good!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
simonp
Supercharged

My Car: is silver again

Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 7061


Location: Wiltshire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked it, but she wasn't so keen. That means I'll probably not have it again. Nice while it lasted!
_________________
Washed it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Clunes
Motoring On

My Car: Jaguar XF SV8 & Westfield SEiW

Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 961



PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonp wrote:
Humphrey The Pug wrote:
simonp wrote:
I've just bought a sous vide gizmo. Hoping it's not one of those toasted sandwich maker type things that gets used a few times before gathering cobwebs in the back of a cupboard as it it was rather expensive!


One of those is getting me a bit interested; too much Master Chef.


Search for Anova £40 off. That's the one I went for. Gets really good reviews on Serious Eats.


I have one on order as well. Delivery in the next couple of days :)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
simonp
Supercharged

My Car: is silver again

Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 7061


Location: Wiltshire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you gone for a vacuum sealer, too, or just using zip lock bags? I'm doing the latter, as I can't seem to find a vac sealer that gets good reviews and isn't huge. They all seem rather temperamental!
_________________
Washed it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Clunes
Motoring On

My Car: Jaguar XF SV8 & Westfield SEiW

Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 961



PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonp wrote:
Have you gone for a vacuum sealer, too, or just using zip lock bags? I'm doing the latter, as I can't seem to find a vac sealer that gets good reviews and isn't huge. They all seem rather temperamental!


Just going to try zip lock for starters - pretty easy to get the vast majority of the air out and from the reviews they appear to work well.

Looking forward to trying it out before hols - that's if it arrives this week!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eff One
Turbocharged

My Car: Ford Fiesta ST

Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 2954


Location: Winchester

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of weekends ago I sampled a 2011 Louis Latour Corton-Charlemagne. I love my wine but am certainly no connoisseur, and this (a £70ish bottle of white Burgundy) was well out of my usual territory in both price and geography. It was lovely - beautiful balance of fruit and acidity, rich and honeyed yet fresh and zesty. I'm not sure I'd have paid that sort of money for it, but then again, we probably drank it several years too soon.
_________________
Blog: The Karting Odyssey
Twitter: @ajrduff
Novels: www.andrewduffbooks.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
simonp
Supercharged

My Car: is silver again

Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 7061


Location: Wiltshire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clunes wrote:
simonp wrote:
Have you gone for a vacuum sealer, too, or just using zip lock bags? I'm doing the latter, as I can't seem to find a vac sealer that gets good reviews and isn't huge. They all seem rather temperamental!


Just going to try zip lock for starters - pretty easy to get the vast majority of the air out and from the reviews they appear to work well.

Looking forward to trying it out before hols - that's if it arrives this week!


I think they're all sent direct from the manufacturer (in Canada??), so they probably take a few days to ship.

ETA, mine just arrived.


Last edited by simonp on Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
simonp
Supercharged

My Car: is silver again

Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 7061


Location: Wiltshire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuvver fing I tried for the first time this week, well Saturday, so technically last week, is Fever Tree Mediterranean Tonic. Tried the normal one plenty o' times, but this one has a few more botanicals in it and has the uncanny knack of making a VAT taste quite like a G&T. Does with Stolichnaya anyway...
_________________
Washed it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nice Guy Eddie
Supercharged

My Car: Porsche 993 C2 & Mercedes C220 Cdi

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 5440


Location: Farnham, Surrey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

English Mojito -  Fresh cucumber, lime juice, mint, apple juice, gin and apple liqueur
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bob Sacamano
Nuclear

My Car: BMW 320d M Sport Auto

Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Posts: 11884



PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Guy Eddie wrote:
English Mojito -  Fresh cucumber, lime juice, mint, apple juice, gin and apple liqueur


I don't do health drinks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PhilD
Nuclear

My Car: Fiat Grande Punto Sporting

Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 15807



PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Sacamano wrote:
Nice Guy Eddie wrote:
Bob Mojito -  gin


I don't do health drinks.


Better?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
simonp
Supercharged

My Car: is silver again

Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 7061


Location: Wiltshire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of gin, anyone tried and liked Plymouth Gin. I've read that it's much nicer than most of its trendier London cousins.
_________________
Washed it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JohnC
Supercharged

My Car: 435D Coupe

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 5098


Location: Scotland

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never tried or heard of Plymouth Gin but you might want to try Makar Gin. Very nice!

http://www.ginfoundry.com/
_________________
Every man is the architect of his own future.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gooner
Twin-charged

My Car: Insignia low tax special and Fiat Panda Eleganza

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 8923


Location: here, there and every bloody where!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Guy Eddie wrote:
English Mojito -  Fresh cucumber, lime juice, mint, apple juice, gin and apple liqueur


Does that count as one of your 5-a-day?
_________________


- Insert clever and/or amusing quote here -
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nice Guy Eddie
Supercharged

My Car: Porsche 993 C2 & Mercedes C220 Cdi

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 5440


Location: Farnham, Surrey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, I've had Plymouth gin and it's very nice however my gin of choice currently is Gin Mare
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stuntman
Twin-charged

My Car: M3 Saloon, Cayman S and GT4

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 8046


Location: Cheltenham

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanqueray, Sipsmith or Williams Chase for me please.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Humphrey The Pug
Nuclear

My Car: Depends on what has the most fuel!

Joined: 31 Dec 2006
Posts: 14646


Location: Here

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't get on with gin.
_________________
Mummy, Daddy, Sissy, Sassy Baby.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Martin
Nuclear

My Car: BMW 535d M Sport & Boxster 987.2

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 14425


Location: Higham Ferrers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lindsay started drinking gin because of the low calories and has started to really enjoy it now, but I don't like it, even the more expensive stuff she's moved on to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nice Guy Eddie
Supercharged

My Car: Porsche 993 C2 & Mercedes C220 Cdi

Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 5440


Location: Farnham, Surrey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gins amazing but you just need to get a bit creative over and above just chucking a lime and schweppes in it.

Try it with less tonic and with herbs like rosemary, coriander or spices like cardamom pods or chilli. Next time your at a really good bar or hotel get them to knock you up a G&T and it'll blow your mind just how different the tastes can be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PhilD
Nuclear

My Car: Fiat Grande Punto Sporting

Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 15807



PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Guy Eddie wrote:
Gins amazing but you just need to get a bit creative over and above just chucking a lime and schweppes in it.

Try it with less tonic and with herbs like rosemary, coriander or spices like cardamom pods or chilli. Next time your at a really good bar or hotel get them to knock you up a G&T and it'll blow your mind just how different the tastes can be.


Is it as easy as wine to tell the different types? A friend went on a gin tasting afternoon and he said after the first couple it was hopeless as he was pissed!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stuntman
Twin-charged

My Car: M3 Saloon, Cayman S and GT4

Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 8046


Location: Cheltenham

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's quite easy to tell which style(s) you prefer, very much in the same way as wine.  For instance, if you tasted Bombay Sapphire, Hendrick's and Gordon's back to back you would definitely think they occupied different areas on the taste spectrum and would almost certainly have a clear preference.

From there, I would move onto other gins that had similar or more intriguing ingredients to the one of the above that you prefer.  I prefer Gordon's of the three above, and (for me) Tanqueray is similar flavourwise, but cleaner and fresher.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
simonp
Supercharged

My Car: is silver again

Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 7061


Location: Wiltshire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tesco cranberry and cashew bread. I think it may have crack as one of its ingredients it's so addictive!


_________________
Washed it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Motor Forum Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum