Archive for The Motor Forum "We are mature men in the highest cadres of our careers"
 


       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Your Motor
franki68

you win some ,you lose some

Its all very well having a car that  increased in value the day I bought it ,although the premiums are currently dropping and I think the introduction of a manual gt3 in feb and the next gt4 sometime later next year will have a big impact.At the moment I reckon the cars are fetching list or premiums of 5-10k based on dealer prices.


Here's the losing bit.....and I knew this was going to happen....have a look at the prices of manual DBS's..if you can find one.

I sold mine for 68k just over a year ago ,at that point you could have bought one from a dealer at 80k.

Ah well,the gt4 is a lot more fun .
gonnabuildabuggy

Do you think it's sustainable though?

We doing seem to be living in a bit of an asset bubble at the moment (too much QE and low interest rates), predictions are starting to emerge for a reverse.

Indeed Modern Classics this month mentions the fact that 911 values are now dropping.
PhilD

What was your mileage?

I can't see any, so how much do you think? Double?
Tim

gonnabuildabuggy wrote:

Indeed Modern Classics this month mentions the fact that 911 values are now dropping.


Does that mean we'll see less of them in the mags  
Frank Bullitt

Tim wrote:
gonnabuildabuggy wrote:

Indeed Modern Classics this month mentions the fact that 911 values are now dropping.


Does that mean we'll see less of them in the mags


Don't worry, Modern Classics were espousing the imminent rise to hero-dom of the 968CS so normal service will be resumed.

Just think franki, it could have cost you twice the depreciation in repairs over that time - I managed to get through the 'Vanquish' buyers guide in last months Modern Classics despite nearly choking to death every time I read a figure.
Racing Teatray

Don't.

When I sold the Z1 in March 2014, I was pleased to get 24k for it.

It's now a 40k car...
gonnabuildabuggy

Racing Teatray wrote:
Don't.

When I sold the Z1 in March 2014, I was pleased to get 24k for it.

It's now a 40k car...


It is the same with most stuff of that ilk. All my classics have gone up since I sold, but then you need space to store them and there will still be other costs too.

40K for a Z1 sounds like a lot to me, I think values at the moment are driven by "investor" sheep more than enthusiasts with deep pockets.

We'll see.
franki68

PhilD wrote:
What was your mileage?

I can't see any, so how much do you think? Double?


Mine was 18k,last one I saw a week or so ago had 26k and was 115000


Arrrghhhh
franki68

gonnabuildabuggy wrote:
Do you think it's sustainable though?

We doing seem to be living in a bit of an asset bubble at the moment (too much QE and low interest rates), predictions are starting to emerge for a reverse.

Indeed Modern Classics this month mentions the fact that 911 values are now dropping.


I don't think it is sustainable ,prices are insane.
JohnC

These over-inflated prices are surely the clearest sign that we are heading for some kind of crash (and not just in collector's car prices)
gonnabuildabuggy

JohnC wrote:
These over-inflated prices are surely the clearest sign that we are heading for some kind of crash (and not just in collector's car prices)


I think it's asset prices due for a crash more than the whole economy I reckon. A result of QE and low interest rates.

If/when interest rates start rising the "chase" of other forms of asset for capital appreciation will diminish I think (hope!).

One thing is for sure, the next two or three years will be a lot more volatile than the last 4.
Alf McQueef

JohnC wrote:
These over-inflated prices are surely the clearest sign that we are heading for some kind of crash (and not just in collector's car prices)


It seems highly possible. One reason I've remained here with almost no mortgage!

True rare desirable classic cars in perfect nick will stay expensive, but far too many normal cars have been dragged up by the top end. It must come down. Generations below ours wont view petrol cars in the same light we do anyway, people who lusted after them in their yoof buy a lot of them now they can afford them.
Dr. Hfuhruhurr

Yes indeed. After Miss July's unfortunate demise, the insurance company rang Porsche Swindon for a valuation, to which they quoted 68k. About five minutes later, Porsche Swindon rang me to say they had a GT3 with identical spec in stock for 68K. I think it would be worth more than that now ...

       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Your Motor
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum