Archive for The Motor Forum "We are mature men in the highest cadres of our careers"
 


       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> General
Racing Teatray

Trump gags...

Time to keep ourselves sane through ridicule...

This by Stephen Colbert is unquestionably excellent:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ent...ae56981?ncid=engmodushpmg00000003

Also liked this spotted on Facebook:

"What's the difference between a lentil and a chickpea?

Trump wouldn't pay $1,000 to have a lentil on his face
"
Twelfth Monkey

Pity it's nothing illegal - might have stopped the baboon from occupying post.
JohnC

Twelfth Monkey wrote:
Pity it's nothing illegal - might have stopped the baboon from occupying post.


I think his tenure in the White House may be shorter than he is expecting. I just don't see something not being dug up from some sleezy corner by those who so obviously dislike and detest him.

Has any President Elect ever had so much negative press before he takes office? To use an Americanism it feels like a turkey shoot and whilst you can dodge most of the bullets most of the time, something is going to hit!
Tim

I saw a little bit of his press conference from a couple of nights ago.
Has there always been a shield/logo for the President-Elect of the US or has Trump just had that knocked up to pat his ego?
Boxer6

Tim wrote:
I saw a little bit of his press conference from a couple of nights ago.
Has there always been a shield/logo for the President-Elect of the US or has Trump just had that knocked up to pat his ego?


Don't know, but suspect the latter!
Twelfth Monkey

Trump gags?

Did he open his mouth at the wrong moment?
Big Blue

This is the man Elected by the population of the country that likes to call its President  "the leader of the free world" in what must therefore have been a free and fair election (unlike many African elections I've not heard of any planned UN investigation into the result) so whatever we think it's just commentary.

His win heralds the periodic refusal of the American populace to select the puppet the political parties want them to select and also acts as a reminder that anyone can become US President. Just because liberal Europeans don't like him don't imagine for one minute that the outgoing President was popular with as many voters as we'd like to imagine - more that the previous GOP contenders were abysmal.

Don't also imagine that four years of ranty, gaffe-prone lunacy is a bar on his continuing on for a second term: no matter how much you want them to be, no matter how much you think they are, Americans are NOTHING like Brits but in reality are more like the very right-wing Europeans that have long been the norm in the parts of Europe that make up the bulk of the historical population of middle America.

He's the President America wanted whether the ones that didn't vote for him would admit it or not. They're Americans and his main battle cry was America First. I hope career politicians around the world are shitting themselves.
Chris M Wanted a V-10

Big Blue wrote:
I hope career politicians around the world are shitting themselves.

... and I hope that he makes a damned good job of it too, to prove that career politicians really are a waste of space, and out of touch with (a) reality and (b) what a vast majoprity of the electorate really want
PhilD

Big Blue wrote:
so whatever we think it's just commentary.
s.


What is it that John likes to say, politics doesn't happen in a vacuum?

Why is what we think unimportant?
JohnC

PhilD wrote:
Big Blue wrote:
so whatever we think it's just commentary.
s.


What is it that John likes to say, politics doesn't happen in a vacuum?

Why is what we think unimportant?


Well remembered.

However we probably don't matter because we aren't American. This is going to be an "establishment" v the people fight with a lot of back stabbing.
Big Blue

PhilD wrote:
Big Blue wrote:
so whatever we think it's just commentary.
s.


What is it that John likes to say, politics doesn't happen in a vacuum?

Why is what we think unimportant?


I didn't say we were unimportant; merely that having had no say in the matter we can only commentate, which will have as much effect on the Presidency as any commentary on Saudi politics made by the Europeans has.
PG

JohnC wrote:
Has any President Elect ever had so much negative press before he takes office?


Probably not. But then it's the first time in living memory (since Reagan really) that the preferred candidate (preferred by the press, by the mainstream media, by the political establishment that is ) didn't win. Bush Jnr may have been a dickhead, but the press gave him as easy time. JFK was a known sex-addict and had affairs all over the place, but as the press liked him he got a free ride on that one.  Clinton was Mr Teflon over a huge range of stuff.

When Reagan won, the press went on and on about how he'd start WW3 and destroy us all. They hated him. Seems Trump has a lot of enemies!

Trump may well have done some pretty iffy things in his past and he may well turn out to be shit or good president, but as bb says, he won the election. In my view, it would be better if people concentrated on what his policies are going to be. That way at least we can decide how that might affect us.
Racing Teatray

Big Blue wrote:


He's the President America wanted whether the ones that didn't vote for him would admit it or not. They're Americans and his main battle cry was America First. I hope career politicians around the world are shitting themselves.


A case of be careful what you wish for.

It's interesting for me because I am a life-long conservative but the rise of the nationalist right across America and Europe repels me to my very core.

I know its fashionable right now to wring our hands and worry about being out of touch with the views of the masses. But frankly bollocks to that.
Frank Bullitt

Chris M Wanted a V-10 wrote:
Big Blue wrote:
I hope career politicians around the world are shitting themselves.

... and I hope that he makes a damned good job of it too, to prove that career politicians really are a waste of space, and out of touch with (a) reality and (b) what a vast majoprity of the electorate really want


Part of me supports this view, but the cold, hard reality is that you end up with a candidate who is popularist by the very nature and as such unable to make the big decisions (or does make them and thus the electorate become angry they have 'sold out').

The West is rapidly turning politics into a variation on the 'X-Factor' principles and whilst that's lovely for people who watch X-Factor, it's scary as shit for everyone else.

I'm afraid for all the benefits of his 'arse-kicking' to politicians we will all lose out in the end, a bit like shooting your left bollock off to stop the dog licking it.
Big Blue

Don't misunderstand my comments for being related to my political views. I am also what in my youth would have been termed "right of centre" but I am in no way like minded with those that have extremist views regarding my fellow Europeans. The same goes for religion: extremism has come to the fore in various areas alienating and indeed striking fear of moderation into many upstanding followers of various faith yet I find myself very Christian as opposed to feeling the urge to raise a cross and set it afire outside some local place of non-Christian worship.

In the same way the Labour Party have an issue with insane members voting an extremist leftie as leader, it is impossible to be comfortable as a moderate right-winger.
Tim

PG wrote:
In my view, it would be better if people concentrated on what his policies are going to be. That way at least we can decide how that might affect us.


Hard to do when he changes them via Twitter every night!
Racing Teatray

Big Blue wrote:
Don't misunderstand my comments for being related to my political views. .


I wasn't.  

I'm just in a long term fury about the whole thing and in favour of calling spades spades when it comes to what I see as the monumental and wilful folly of pandering to ignorant right-wing nationalism.

Some sections of the liberal commentariat seem to be so frit of being seen to be elitist that they treat ignorant right-wing nationalism with the same kid gloves they usually reserve for various ethnic and other minorities. Is this the new political correctness? If so, I despise it even more than the previous version.
Twelfth Monkey

Big Blue wrote:
acts as a reminder that anyone can become US President.


I don't believe that, in the literal sense.  It takes cash in spades even to get your hat in the ring.
PG

Tim wrote:
PG wrote:
In my view, it would be better if people concentrated on what his policies are going to be. That way at least we can decide how that might affect us.


Hard to do when he changes them via Twitter every night!


Quite! That is where he needs hounding - just what is he going to do?
Tim

PG wrote:
Tim wrote:
PG wrote:
In my view, it would be better if people concentrated on what his policies are going to be. That way at least we can decide how that might affect us.


Hard to do when he changes them via Twitter every night!


Quite! That is where he needs hounding - just what is he going to do?


Yup.
And also he needs to be made to use proper channels rather than the official 'I'm sitting having a crap and something's just popped into my head' option.
Resident Spanner

Twelfth Monkey wrote:
Big Blue wrote:
acts as a reminder that anyone can become US President.


I don't believe that, in the literal sense.  It takes cash in spades even to get your hat in the ring.


Yes, it's definately a 'buy your way to the top' system.
Big Blue

Resident Spanner wrote:
Twelfth Monkey wrote:
Big Blue wrote:
acts as a reminder that anyone can become US President.


I don't believe that, in the literal sense.  It takes cash in spades even to get your hat in the ring.


Yes, it's definately a 'buy your way to the top' system.


Ahh. That's why Trump is there: he funded himself.

That's why Trump is feared and hated by politicos: he funded himself. He doesn't owe them anything, unlike his predecessor and his Demmycrat (sic) rival.

You see "anyone" means anyone that's not a political arse licking shitebag. Yes they need to be wealthy but also they tend to need the backing of the political elite, who are all too revolting to be put up for POTUS - Trump is way below their scale of objectionableness! So he is "anyone" and has been voted as President. In years like this one wishes one were a journalist.
Frank Bullitt

Big Blue wrote:


That's why Trump is feared and hated by politicos: he funded himself. He doesn't owe them anything, unlike his predecessor and his Demmycrat (sic) rival.

You see "anyone" means anyone that's not a political arse licking shitebag. Yes they need to be wealthy but also they tend to need the backing of the political elite, who are all too revolting to be put up for POTUS - Trump is way below their scale of objectionableness! So he is "anyone" and has been voted as President. In years like this one wishes one were a journalist.


I don't agree - the political establishment accepted him as the joke entry and didn't take his bid seriously until it was too late.  In addition, he might have used his own money but not his own influence and he will be in the pockets of somebody be it the Russians or a 15 year old computer genius from Milwaukee who will have the ability to bring it all down (assuming the American public give a fuck, which so far they don't seem to).
Twelfth Monkey

Hasty word redefinition alert!
Big Blue

Twelfth Monkey wrote:
Hasty word redefinition alert!


Having described the need for cash "in spades", bearing in mind the outgoing president's ethnicity it's probably just as well that there are not fixed definitions for words.
Richard (ex-MB)

Big Blue wrote:
Ahh. That's why Trump is there: he funded himself.


Not really.

Trump claimed he was funding his campaign himself to the tune of tens of millions but the mandatory filings showed that he only contributed around $250k (the last ones I saw).

He loaned his campaign something like $20m but loans are not donations and he did it that way for a particular reason. Once he obtained the Republican nomination he had access to their funds and could pay the loans back.

He then used his own companies to supply everything to his campaign (office space, staff, catering etc.).

Back in 2000 Trump said he could be the first person the run for president and make a profit on it - he probably did.
Racing Teatray

Well as far as I'm concerned, he can just, ahem, piss off.
Big Blue

Richard (ex-MB) wrote:
Big Blue wrote:
Ahh. That's why Trump is there: he funded himself.




He loaned his campaign something like $20m but loans are not donations and he did it that way for a particular reason. Once he obtained the Republican nomination he had access to their funds and could pay the loans back.

He then used his own companies to supply everything to his campaign (office space, staff, catering etc.).


However he accounted for the funding it wasn't from an entity that he then owed a favour to. If he gets it all back from GOP funds then fair play to him: if he hadn't won the election he would have taken the costs off his tax return....
Twelfth Monkey

Just so we're clear, I'm no fan of career politics either.  Its 'disconnected from reality' nature is corrosive, and the reason for apathy among the electorate.
DetmoldDick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S65jqrHQi_c
JohnC

They're already lining up the ducks. Is he going to be as Teflon coated as Bill, or will the Democrats shoot themselves in the foot with a series of failed attacks?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38658622
PhilD

Twelfth Monkey wrote:
Just so we're clear, I'm no fan of career politics either.  Its 'disconnected from reality' nature is corrosive, and the reason for apathy among the electorate.


We need a more purposeful electorate!
Twelfth Monkey

Ah, but others conclude we need them to be more passionate!
DetmoldDick

JohnC wrote:
They're already lining up the ducks. Is he going to be as Teflon coated as Bill, or will the Democrats shoot themselves in the foot with a series of failed attacks?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38658622


Quote:
She was joined by her lawyer, Gloria Allred, a Democratic party activist


And there we have the real reason for this action.

The guy won, when will these miserable people just accept the fact and look at the reasons why the electorate did not want their candidate and act on it?
gooner

DetmoldDick wrote:
JohnC wrote:
They're already lining up the ducks. Is he going to be as Teflon coated as Bill, or will the Democrats shoot themselves in the foot with a series of failed attacks?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38658622


Quote:
She was joined by her lawyer, Gloria Allred, a Democratic party activist


And there we have the real reason for this action.

The guy won, when will these miserable people just accept the fact and look at the reasons why the electorate did not want their candidate and act on it?


You can probably say the same about Brexit. The result isn't going to change and the universal assumption that those who voted for Trump or Brexit were probably uneducated fools who were tricked by Nigel Farage is not going to help solve the problems that led the vote to go the way it did in the first place!
Grampa

DetmoldDick wrote:
JohnC wrote:
They're already lining up the ducks. Is he going to be as Teflon coated as Bill, or will the Democrats shoot themselves in the foot with a series of failed attacks?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38658622


Quote:
She was joined by her lawyer, Gloria Allred, a Democratic party activist


And there we have the real reason for this action.

The guy won, when will these miserable people just accept the fact and look at the reasons why the electorate did not want their candidate and act on it?


But on the other hand if this woman's allegations are true, it's appalling that he gets away with it because of who he is, or because it's brushed aside as an accusation that was brought about for political reasons.
Twelfth Monkey

Exactament.
DetmoldDick

Grampa wrote:


But on the other hand if this woman's allegations are true, it's appalling that he gets away with it because of who he is, or because it's brushed aside as an accusation that was brought about for political reasons.


True, but why wait 9 years to come out with these allegations?
DetmoldDick

Especially if you have been extolling his virtues for the last decade:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/a...e-claiming-wishes-reality-TV.html
PhilD

Big Blue wrote:
PhilD wrote:
Big Blue wrote:
so whatever we think it's just commentary.
s.


What is it that John likes to say, politics doesn't happen in a vacuum?

Why is what we think unimportant?


I didn't say we were unimportant; merely that having had no say in the matter we can only commentate, which will have as much effect on the Presidency as any commentary on Saudi politics made by the Europeans has.


OK, Ill re-phrase to avoid any (accidental) straw-manning .  Why is what we think just commentary? We live in a hugely connected world now so everyones voice can be heard and can have an impact. People in power like nothing more than the great unwashed to keep quiet.
Twelfth Monkey

DetmoldDick wrote:
Grampa wrote:


But on the other hand if this woman's allegations are true, it's appalling that he gets away with it because of who he is, or because it's brushed aside as an accusation that was brought about for political reasons.


True, but why wait 9 years to come out with these allegations?


I do know what you mean, but then if Yewtree teaches us anything it's that the truth doesn't always out swiftly.

       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> General
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum