Archive for The Motor Forum "We are mature men in the highest cadres of our careers"
 


       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> General
Michael

Trigger Warning

I'm a big fan of Father Ted and regularly catch it on More 4. The episode 'Competition Time' was on last night so tuned in and heard the announcer introducing the show adding, "including scenes some viewers might find offensive".
I've never heard this in relation to this show before, had the Catholic Church finally had enough and demanded the warning?
It dawned on me during the show what the issue was. The set up is a stars in their eyes talent show for priests, Ted goes as Elvis, his rivals go as Diana Ross and the Supremes. The warning was because those priests had 'blacked up' and this is, apparently, one of the most offensive things in the world.
Students can't wear sombreros these days as it's deemed cultural misappropriation, or to put it another way, everything and everyone is racist.
Bob Sacamano

You can't say "arse" these days without someone complaining.

Let alone "feck".
Michael

Bob Sacamano wrote:
You can't say "arse" these days without someone complaining.


I'm off to buy shares in cotton wool.
Frank Bullitt

Bob Sacamano wrote:
You can't say "arse" these days without someone complaining.


Depends on the anticipated audience.
Big Blue

I'm now compelled to YouTube episodes of The Black and White Minstrel Show just because.....

In Live and Let Die the wizard whites-up. I've never seen a warning about this highly offensive scene!
Roadsterstu

Re: Trigger Warning

Michael wrote:
or to put it another way, everything and everyone is so easily offended.


Fixed
Chris M Wanted a V-10

Where is Roy Rogers?
gooner

Bob Sacamano wrote:
You can't say "arse" these days without someone complaining.

Let alone "feck".


Can one of the moderators please remove Bobs post and bar him for a month?

Thanks in advance,
Angry from W.Sussex.
JohnC

We were out for dinner on Saturday night with a group who are all doctors and consultants and they were complaining about the PC attitude in the NHS. Apparently they aren't allowed to call someone mad because that could be insulting (to the lunatic trying to carve someone up with a machete because the aliens have taken over people's bodies!).

Apparently "Security" in a hospital should, as one of the consultants put it, be called the Concierge. They are no longer allowed to touch anyone or remove them from the premises - they have to call the Police to do that even if the doctor is having the shit kicked out of him or her by someone who is obviously in need of some professional help (in the old days that was called a smack in the face)

In some parts of America it is seriously frowned upon to ask for a black or a white coffee. Given that my wife has hers black and I have mine white I think we are quite balanced in our views.

I'd happily vote for the Common Sense party, advocating that PCism should be illegal.
Bob Sacamano

There are people now who spend their entire time watching TV looking for things to be offended by. Last week it was a complaint to the BBC about "rape"scenes in Life on Earth where a female Snow Leopard was resisting the advances of two males, and then recently there was the female character on Coronation Street who looked in the mirror and said "Blimey, I've got more roots than Kunte Kinte.." Cue outrage at racist remark.

It's completely counter productive and just leads to real instances of racism not being taken seriously and lumped in with the PC gone mad mantra.
Twelfth Monkey

Re: Trigger Warning

Roadsterstu wrote:
Michael wrote:
or to put it another way, everything and everyone is so easily offended.


Fixed


I think this is my view.  I see no harm in consciously trying to avoid giving offence, or even seeing that some notions of having fun might make others think you are an arse.  But there's a very hardline undertone from a lot of quarters that basically we're all evil and need to be made to feel guilty about any issue where we're not always the epitome of pious.
Roadsterstu

https://youtu.be/kiT8MtrAsxM
Roadsterstu

JohnC wrote:

Apparently "Security" in a hospital should, as one of the consultants put it, be called the Concierge. They are no longer allowed to touch anyone or remove them from the premises - they have to call the Police to do that even if the doctor is having the shit kicked out of him or her by someone who is obviously in need of some professional help (in the old days that was called a smack in the face)


S3, Criminal Law Act, 1967. Use of "reasonable force" by any person. That includes security staff. I suspect someone, somewhere, has got a little confused over it.
Boxer6

Roadsterstu wrote:
JohnC wrote:

Apparently "Security" in a hospital should, as one of the consultants put it, be called the Concierge. They are no longer allowed to touch anyone or remove them from the premises - they have to call the Police to do that even if the doctor is having the shit kicked out of him or her by someone who is obviously in need of some professional help (in the old days that was called a smack in the face)


S3, Criminal Law Act, 1967. Use of "reasonable force" by any person. That includes security staff. I suspect someone, somewhere, has got a little confused over it.


Up here we also have the Common Law obligation to protect others. Not many people know about it right enough, though it was part of my nurse training nearly 30 years ago!
Big Blue

Bob Sacamano wrote:


It's completely counter productive and just leads to real instances of racism not being taken seriously and lumped in with the PC gone mad mantra.


This. In spades (am I allowed to use that word?)

The most un-PC person I know is black. He was on the West Ham youth books in the early-mid 80s and knows a thing or two about racist abuse. His view is you know when someone is joshing or when they're a serial KKK-wannabe and acts accordingly.
PG

How did we get to this stupid position where common sense has gone out of the window on so many things and in so many ways? Is it that good intentions - like avoiding genuine offence to people - are take over by stupidity?
Frank Bullitt

Roadsterstu wrote:
JohnC wrote:

Apparently "Security" in a hospital should, as one of the consultants put it, be called the Concierge. They are no longer allowed to touch anyone or remove them from the premises - they have to call the Police to do that even if the doctor is having the shit kicked out of him or her by someone who is obviously in need of some professional help (in the old days that was called a smack in the face)


S3, Criminal Law Act, 1967. Use of "reasonable force" by any person. That includes security staff. I suspect someone, somewhere, has got a little confused over it.


Indeed, our security staff are trained to restrain and all front line staff (which includes my trade staff for example, as they are often in public areas) receive training in dealing with difficult clients.

Sounds like a local issue.
JohnC

Probably the same local issue which has drug dealers and prostitutes on the premises in known areas of the building. The conversation then proceeded into the area of whether the prostitutes were there for the staff or the patients and then it got into potentially libellous territory.
Scouse

I think it was compounded by the government changing the law to allow other people to be offended about something that wasn't even aimed at them.



Chris M Wanted a V-10

Big Blue wrote:
In spades (am I allowed to use that word?)

You didn't mention the colour of the spade so I think you're OK

Why can't teachers call a blackboard a blackboard any more, even though it is black? They have to call it a chalkboard.

However a whiteboard can still be called a white board.
Work that one out !
Bob Sacamano

Big Blue wrote:
Bob Sacamano wrote:


It's completely counter productive and just leads to real instances of racism not being taken seriously and lumped in with the PC gone mad mantra.


This. In spades (am I allowed to use that word?)



Yes. You just can't call a spade a spade (manually operated earth moving implement).
PhilD

Bob Sacamano wrote:
Big Blue wrote:
Bob Sacamano wrote:


It's completely counter productive and just leads to real instances of racism not being taken seriously and lumped in with the PC gone mad mantra.


This. In spades (am I allowed to use that word?)



Yes. You just can't call a spade a spade (manually operated earth moving implement).


What about hoes?
Big Blue

Swan neck or Dutch?
PhilD

Heard good things about the Dutch ones.
Bob Sacamano

I don't think you can beat Dutch. Long legs trump long neck all day long.
Twelfth Monkey

Please!  No more pictures of Pricky Gervais!
gooner

Chris M Wanted a V-10 wrote:
Big Blue wrote:
In spades (am I allowed to use that word?)

You didn't mention the colour of the spade so I think you're OK

Why can't teachers call a blackboard a blackboard any more, even though it is black? They have to call it a chalkboard.

However a whiteboard can still be called a white board.
Work that one out !


To be fair they actually call them Smartboards now, which a bit too white supremacist for my liking.
Scouse

Twelfth Monkey wrote:
Please!  No more pictures of Pricky Gervais!


I apologise. I can't stand him myself, I just happen to agree with him on this point.
Bob Sacamano

gooner wrote:
Chris M Wanted a V-10 wrote:
Big Blue wrote:
In spades (am I allowed to use that word?)

You didn't mention the colour of the spade so I think you're OK

Why can't teachers call a blackboard a blackboard any more, even though it is black? They have to call it a chalkboard.

However a whiteboard can still be called a white board.
Work that one out !


To be fair they actually call them Smartboards now, which a bit too white supremacist for my liking.


A smartboard is £4k, a blackboard is £20 and £1 for the chalk.
Roadsterstu

JohnC wrote:
Probably the same local issue which has drug dealers and prostitutes on the premises in known areas of the building. The conversation then proceeded into the area of whether the prostitutes were there for the staff or the patients and then it got into potentially libellous territory.


If it really is like that (and not a staff impression of how it is) then the head of security or whoever is in charge of it needs to sort their shit out. Urgently.
PhilD

JohnC wrote:


Apparently "Security" in a hospital should, as one of the consultants put it, be called the Concierge. I]


Good to know. I'm in hospital in a couple of weeks and so I'll ask them to book me a table at a nice restaurant and some theatre tickets.
Dr. Hfuhruhurr

Twelfth Monkey wrote:
Please!  No more pictures of Pricky Gervais!

+1. I am offended

       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> General
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum