Archive for The Motor Forum "We are mature men in the highest cadres of our careers"
 


       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Classified Information
gonnabuildabuggy

Thoughts please

Thoughts on this? I'm not one to worry about miles but a bit concerned it might put off future buyers. Immaculate condition other than usual slight scuff on drivers seat bolster. Short MOT and I'll want a new one put on which might be a deal breaker, I reckon the front discs are too pitted for a pass.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201503201922699
JohnC

That looks very clean. It's difficult to see the brakes in the photos so I can't comment.

A girl that works for me has a Cooper of the same age with c 45k miles and she had to get all the brakes replaced about 6 months ago along with some suspension bushes to pass the MOT, so brake work is quite likely.

I reckon the mileage would put many people off and I am sure that when the girl I know looked at a trade in, she was offered around £3K, so perhaps there can be a compensating price movement.
Martin

Nice enough, but the original new MINI starts rattling at less than half that mileage, so id be a bit concerned about how it would last.

Is the newer model in budget?  It's a much nicer car imo
Giant

Where did the new tyres get resent to?

The mileage would concern me, but is it priced accordingly compared to lower mileage ones?

I haven't paid attention, what is it that a Park Lane has that you want over other MINIs?
Roadrunner

Martin wrote:
Nice enough, but the original new MINI starts rattling at less than half that mileage, so id be a bit concerned about how it would last.

Is the newer model in budget?  It's a much nicer car imo


+1 to all of this. I would do all I could to seek out a later model.
Chris M Wanted a V-10

Re: Thoughts please

gonnabuildabuggy wrote:
Thoughts on this? I'm not one to worry about miles but a bit concerned it might put off future buyers.

It's 10 years old already so I recon its value will be next-to-nothing in a few more years, irrespective of mileage.
Alf McQueef

If it is in as good condition as it seems, it looks like a cheap way into one of these. Someone will always buy at the cheapest end of a popular model range. I certainly would avoid the diesel at this sort of mileage - my then-boss had one around 2003 - new - he did mega miles commuting from Wales to Bournemouth and the engine blew up at around 90k miles/2 years old IIRC.
PhilD

Blimey, that looks clean for the milage. Nice colour too. I prefer the Mk1 looks so the Mk 2 would have to a much better driver to tempt me.
gooner

I know they say that 100000 is nothing to worry about these days but I always feel that's more true of a big diesel saloon than a supermini. It does look good off its age but I'd want to do a thorough check as a decent valet can make a car look much better looked after than it actually is.
Alf McQueef

Given I'm on 120k and counting - fast - I may be finding out fairly soon whether the adage is true! I did look into it and most major components are supposed to last 200 or 250k miles, ish, or more these days. Apparently. And if there are no design flaws.

There is very little, if anything, I could point to on my car and honestly say feels different from 100k miles ago, when I got it. There is very slightly more trim wear. There are more stone chips. The suspension is very slightly baggier with the odd clonk over bad speed bumps. That's it! I swear the engine is more economical and powerful now, despite all the horror stories about direct injection engines coking up. Even the damping still feels great. Mileage is not necessarily an issue - very much depending on how it has been used, and looked after. And luck...
gonnabuildabuggy

Alf McQueef wrote:
Given I'm on 120k and counting - fast - I may be finding out fairly soon whether the adage is true! I did look into it and most major components are supposed to last 200 or 250k miles, ish, or more these days. Apparently. And if there are no design flaws.

There is very little, if anything, I could point to on my car and honestly say feels different from 100k miles ago, when I got it. There is very slightly more trim wear. There are more stone chips. The suspension is very slightly baggier with the odd clonk over bad speed bumps. That's it! I swear the engine is more economical and powerful now, despite all the horror stories about direct injection engines coking up. Even the damping still feels great. Mileage is not necessarily an issue - very much depending on how it has been used, and looked after. And luck...


I ran my 328 to 196K miles and it looked about half that mileage if that, I suspect the suspension bushes were past their best for the last 6 months I had it but other than that it was brilliant. The MINI feels engineered as well (I'd say it's a small big car in build terms), and this one's had what looks to be a solid service history.

Three things worry me:

1. An oil leak somewhere - I think I'd have to get underneath it to find out the source properly.

2. Brakes - I've concluded a 12 month MOT is more important than knocking the price down too much. Nothing wrong with them but a cost he should be paying if needed.

3. Mileage putting off future buyers, not a worry for me.

MINI prices are all over the place and many people seek them out, so I think prices will bottom off at a higher level than something like a KA. Cars with gearbox faults regularly sell for circa £800 on Ebay, and £1500 looks around the cheapest you'll find any MINI.

I need to look at a few more and let him stew for a week or so, if it sells then it sells, if it doesn't then he might become more negotiable.

The condition on it is phenomenal for the mileage and didn't feel baggy or sound rattly at all.

The Park Lane has climate and smart leather - for me to go for a normal Cooper it would need to be spec'd to the eyeballs (Xenon's, etc) I've decided. And a good colour scheme. In truth it's likely this will become Mrs. GBB's car if I get the right one.
Bob Sacamano

That brings back happy memories. For my money the 1st generation MINI was/is the best looking.
PG

Very clean and nice spec v miles.

Personally, I'd see what is around at lower miles to compare.
gonnabuildabuggy

PG wrote:
Very clean and nice spec v miles.

Personally, I'd see what is around at lower miles to compare.


That's the plan.

Seems to be a step up to £4K for lower miles ones. There's a nice looking one at £4500 in Poole but that's a long way to go to look!
Martin

I'd also have a drive in the newer model.  Or, if you're convinced a Mk1 is what you're going to get, don't!
scamper

How come all mini back boxes seem to rot?  Ours did, but it seemed to be just a cosmetic outer skin - my local mechanic just got out the silver spray and it looked good as new  
Andy C

Nothing wrong with the mk1 , just make sure it's not a really early one as they had niggling faults (as my mate found out)
gonnabuildabuggy

scamper wrote:
How come all mini back boxes seem to rot?  Ours did, but it seemed to be just a cosmetic outer skin - my local mechanic just got out the silver spray and it looked good as new  


For exactly that reason, two skins so moisture gets trapped and rots out the inside, common problem on them but at least not as big a problem as the same issue causes on MX5 MK2 and LR Discovery chassis.

Early MK1's full of niggles so an 05 is earliest I'll go for. Might have a look at a MK2 but all the ones within budget are horrible specs (hence they are within budget!)
scamper

Can't compare the cooper's but going on the MINI One, I'd go for the mark 1 - just so much more fun to drive.
gonnabuildabuggy

scamper wrote:
Can't compare the cooper's but going on the MINI One, I'd go for the mark 1 - just so much more fun to drive.


Thanks. No. 1 reason for buying one.....
PR

The R56 (Mk2) is still a decent drive but lacks the grainy steering and 'pivot about the centre' feeling of the original R50.

Make sure that the remote central locking works properly, the electric windows operate correctly, and the reverse light illuminates when it should. The bonnet release cable can stretch as well, so make sure the bonnet opens.
JohnC

Totally different thought but there are Fiat 500 1.2S's available on 2 year leases for £97/mth for 2 years with 3mths up front (Nationwide Vehicle Contracts but there are others)

Gives you a new, warranty covered car with no additional expenses and spreads the payments over 2 years - you could probably put the money for the Mini away in a savings A/C and meet some or all of the monthly cost out of income.

It might go against the grain to pay out for something you don't own at the end but that's nearly at monthly mobile phone contract prices for some people.
gonnabuildabuggy

JohnC wrote:
Totally different thought but there are Fiat 500 1.2S's available on 2 year leases for £97/mth for 2 years with 3mths up front (Nationwide Vehicle Contracts but there are others)

Gives you a new, warranty covered car with no additional expenses and spreads the payments over 2 years - you could probably put the money for the Mini away in a savings A/C and meet some or all of the monthly cost out of income.

It might go against the grain to pay out for something you don't own at the end but that's nearly at monthly mobile phone contract prices for some people.


Thanks.

I'd briefly considered leasing but as big little GBB will be driving it on occasion I want something I'm not worried about the odd bump in, which I still would be in a lease car.

Total cost on the lease car is still £2619, I reckon the Mini would cost me £1K depreciation tops, plus the odd bit of remedial work so should work out cheaper (My Merc cost me £120 a month in comparison for depreciation and servicing though that excludes the cost of capital).

Unfortunately with interest rates as they are I'd be luck to get £60 per year on £3,000 invested.

OOI you can lease a Nissan Leaf for £150 a month, not suitable for me, but self-funding (fuel saving) for some people I'm sure. If it wasn't for big little GBB I'd get one for Mrs. GBB.

The asking price on the MINI has dropped from £3250 to £3100 already, I'm pondering waiting for him to drop again then offer around £2,800 with a fresh MOT. That would be about right I reckon comparing to newer, lower mile cars.
JohnC

gonnabuildabuggy wrote:
The asking price on the MINI has dropped from £3250 to £3100 already, I'm pondering waiting for him to drop again then offer around £2,800 with a fresh MOT. That would be about right I reckon comparing to newer, lower mile cars.


If it's the car you want I would offer £2,750 and see what he says.
Martin

I bet a lot of people will be put off by the mileage, it won't be easy to sell.  I'd leave him with a cheeky offer and wait until he's ready to accept it, no need to wait until it drops again.
Andy C

The price is good and all that but a 17yr old lad driving round in a 500 ?!

Mini sounds good and not as girly
gonnabuildabuggy

JohnC wrote:
gonnabuildabuggy wrote:
The asking price on the MINI has dropped from £3250 to £3100 already, I'm pondering waiting for him to drop again then offer around £2,800 with a fresh MOT. That would be about right I reckon comparing to newer, lower mile cars.


If it's the car you want I would offer £2,750 and see what he says.


Pondering that approach, though I think another week might make him more malleable.

In truth I'd happily pay £4K for one with lower miles and a sunroof.

There is one just the spec I want at the price I want on AT. But it's in Aberdeen. If it hadn't had 5 owners I might have followed up on it but I suspect it might not be quite as good as the pics given the number of owners.

EDIT - also waiting to see if some of the £4.5K ones drop to £4K to bring them into my budget. One thing for sure, enough of these about to be picky.
Chocy Rocky

gonnabuildabuggy wrote:
JohnC wrote:
gonnabuildabuggy wrote:
The asking price on the MINI has dropped from £3250 to £3100 already, I'm pondering waiting for him to drop again then offer around £2,800 with a fresh MOT. That would be about right I reckon comparing to newer, lower mile cars.


If it's the car you want I would offer £2,750 and see what he says.


Pondering that approach, though I think another week might make him more malleable.

In truth I'd happily pay £4K for one with lower miles and a sunroof.

There is one just the spec I want at the price I want on AT. But it's in Aberdeen. If it hadn't had 5 owners I might have followed up on it but I suspect it might not be quite as good as the pics given the number of owners.

EDIT - also waiting to see if some of the £4.5K ones drop to £4K to bring them into my budget. One thing for sure, enough of these about to be picky.


Aberdeen is a great place to buy cars, there isn't a money shortage up there, so cars are normally very well looked after and tend to be a nice spec when they leave the showroom. I'm up in Aberdeen next week , let me know if you wan me to go for a look.

As for the local high mileage one. Stick it's reg number in WBAC, see how much they would offer, then make an offer £200 more than that.
gonnabuildabuggy

Chocy Rocky wrote:
gonnabuildabuggy wrote:
JohnC wrote:
gonnabuildabuggy wrote:
The asking price on the MINI has dropped from £3250 to £3100 already, I'm pondering waiting for him to drop again then offer around £2,800 with a fresh MOT. That would be about right I reckon comparing to newer, lower mile cars.


If it's the car you want I would offer £2,750 and see what he says.


Pondering that approach, though I think another week might make him more malleable.

In truth I'd happily pay £4K for one with lower miles and a sunroof.

There is one just the spec I want at the price I want on AT. But it's in Aberdeen. If it hadn't had 5 owners I might have followed up on it but I suspect it might not be quite as good as the pics given the number of owners.

EDIT - also waiting to see if some of the £4.5K ones drop to £4K to bring them into my budget. One thing for sure, enough of these about to be picky.


Aberdeen is a great place to buy cars, there isn't a money shortage up there, so cars are normally very well looked after and tend to be a nice spec when they leave the showroom. I'm up in Aberdeen next week , let me know if you wan me to go for a look.

As for the local high mileage one. Stick it's reg number in WBAC, see how much they would offer, then make an offer £200 more than that.


Thanks. I might ring the Aberdeen guy. When are you up there?

WBAC put it at £2K, I think he'd hit me if I offered £2,200 (and he'd be right too, its a lot nicer than that).

Gut feel at moment is wait for the right spec......we'll see how patient I am.
Chocy Rocky

I'll be free on Wednesday evening. Let me know if it sounds like a good one.
gonnabuildabuggy

Chocy Rocky wrote:
I'll be free on Wednesday evening. Let me know if it sounds like a good one.


Thanks. Just PM'd you. Car sounds good but some small scratches on body - difficult to check without viewing
Chocy Rocky

I went to see the car and it appears to be pretty straight, so was the seller. I took some pictures of the bodywork issues.
IMG


Click to see full size image





Chocy Rocky

And I can't get the two most important to upload.

It has a bad couple of scratches on the oaf quarter panel with a scuff on the plastic wheel arch.
Plus a small crease half way down the drivers door.
gonnabuildabuggy

Thanks. Hadn't noticed this post until I'd replied to the PM's.

Gut feel is that the marks will irk me too much as I like my cars to be straight.
Bob Sacamano

I would have thought Chipsaway or similar would sort those no problem.
Big Blue

gonnabuildabuggy wrote:
I like my cars to be straight.


Homophobe!

Martin

My thoughts....what happened to the plan to buy a new Mustang?!
gooner

Martin wrote:
My thoughts....what happened to the plan to buy a new Mustang?!


The insurance quote to add his son I imagine!
Martin

I might have this wrong, but I thought the original plan was Mustang + Car for his son, which has now been replaced by learner friendly car + car for his son + possibly a classic?

I like plan A much better!
gonnabuildabuggy

Martin wrote:
I might have this wrong, but I thought the original plan was Mustang + Car for his son, which has now been replaced by learner friendly car + car for his son + possibly a classic?

I like plan A much better!


Plan A will have to wait. common sense says buy used so that'll be another 3 to 4 yrs from now. Plus I rarely use the car at the moment and funds are being put towards a deposit on a BtL instead.
Nice Guy Eddie

I wouldn't expect to see V8 Mustangs depreciate much over 3 years given the long lead times on them already.
Martin

No, me neither and you only live once!
Bryan M

I understand why you would want a car without blemishes but providing the condition is reflected in the price, you could get a smart repair company to sort it out.

Plus I would expect your average 17yr old driver to add a fair bit of patina to the car anyway!
PhilD

Bryan M wrote:


Plus I would expect your average 17yr old driver to add a fair bit of patina to the car anyway!


Ha! They should change the advert; "Looking for a car for your 17 year old? Our's comes pre-dinted for that authentic look"
gonnabuildabuggy

Bryan M wrote:
I understand why you would want a car without blemishes but providing the condition is reflected in the price, you could get a smart repair company to sort it out.

Plus I would expect your average 17yr old driver to add a fair bit of patina to the car anyway!


The distance is also being factored in. This is a car that I'd need to fly to Aberdeen to collect and spend XX on fuel to bring it back and then get it sorted. That makes the net cost a lot higher than the asking unfortunately.
Chocy Rocky

PM replied.

       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Classified Information
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum