Archive for The Motor Forum "We are mature men in the highest cadres of our careers"
 


       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Your Motor
gonnabuildabuggy

Thoughts from a weekend of drives/sits

As well as Telly hunting I did a bit of car shopping. That was less productive.

Quick thoughts:

1. Used cars need to be well looked after and well prepped - I looked at a used Q5 which whilst OK, needed to be cleaner in the back and the small dint's in the aluminium trim around the centre console would bug me.

2. I drove a Lexus RX450h and felt underwhelmed. Very fast and very quiet but underwhelmed. The silver colour and all black interior may not have helped.

3. Test sat a new but old model Q5. Very nice interior quality but needs the pano roof. But.....too small in the back for big teenage boys. It's shorter than an A5 now and you can tell. A great car in 1 -3 yrs time but not yet unfortunately.

4. See above - Concert seating helps people on the back feel a lot less claustrophobic too.

5. Volvo interiors are some of the best around. I sat in XC60 and XC90 and was very impressed. An XC60 was far bigger in the rear than the Q5, unfortunately a naff range of engines though or I'd be more tempted.

6. XC90 interior out does the RR I reckon. Only say in one but I can see why there are so many about. Lack of decent engine range might be an issue though.

7. VW Tiguan bigger in back than current Q5, does this imply the new Q5 will be bigger? I liked the Tiguan size but the interior quality was a league or two  below Audi/Volvo/Lexus.

8. I'm still stumped on potential replacements, will ring about CX7 today if I get time. As ever I'm tempted just to sit it all out though as the FRV has many failing but it "just works" as a family car (to quote the old Honda advert)
Nice Guy Eddie

Interesting, what about a Touareg? Cheap cars when compared like for like with a Q5
gooner

What was it you didn't like about the Volvo's engines. I appreciate they don't do a pokey V6 diesel like Audi do, but their 4cyl petrol and Diesel engines are pretty refined these days and will be quicker and more efficient than the Honda's unit.
Michael

I'm glad you're over the Lexus, it seemed a bit of a bland want for you.
The XC60, which is an very nice looking car, can be had with the 5 cylinder engine so slightly interesting. The XC90 decent engine is the T8 but those cost megabucks and I'd rather have a Range Rover. The interior of the XC90 is very nice but it doesn't take long to see where corners were cut after you've spent a couple of hours in one. I don't think the quality is Range Rover leave, it's not even Discovery.
I'll be lambasted for suggesting this but have you looked at the recent Jeep Grand Cherokee?
Frank Bullitt

A few weeks ago I was having a mooch around and walked from a Volvo dealership where I had been nosying around an XC60 R-Design (nice) then went to the Kia dealership next door and looked at the new Spottage - it was the launch version they do so the whole kitchen sink was thrown at it but the interior was fantastic, the quality a cut above the Volvo and very nicely designed - they both passed the 'me behind me' test but the Kia gave me more legroom in the back where as the XC60 was simply good enough.
PG

Michael wrote:
I'll be lambasted for suggesting this but have you looked at the recent Jeep Grand Cherokee?


The previous model was dire, but the latest Grand Cherokee has actually had quite good reviews. Can be had with pretty big discounts and even at the lowest Limited spec come with just about everything.
gooner

The latest Kia Sportage is a good looking car even if there's a bit too much of a hint of Porsche Cayenne at the front. You might still have the issue of it not having an engine of more interest.
PG

I'm surprised the Q5 isn't big enough for two teenagers in the back. OK, it's not a limo, but just how much room do they need?
gonnabuildabuggy

Nice Guy Eddie wrote:
Interesting, what about a Touareg? Cheap cars when compared like for like with a Q5


Too big really unfortunately. I did look at one on Saturday as well.

Michael wrote:
The XC60, which is an very nice looking car, can be had with the 5 cylinder engine so slightly interesting.
I'll be lambasted for suggesting this but have you looked at the recent Jeep Grand Cherokee?


Had assumed they were all 4 Pots, which engines are 5 pots?

Grand Cherokee is theoretically too big too but I do like them a lot. Just not sure if as big inside as out? Worth considering if cheap as maybe good temp option as I fancy one at some point.

Kia wortha look too.
Michael

The D5 XC60 is a 5 pot, possible the 4WD D4 as well, which was a detuned version of the D5 - so you might as well got the D5.
PhilD

Frank Bullitt wrote:
A few weeks ago I was having a mooch around and walked from a Volvo dealership where I had been nosying around an XC60 R-Design (nice) then went to the Kia dealership next door and looked at the new Spottage - it was the launch version they do so the whole kitchen sink was thrown at it but the interior was fantastic, the quality a cut above the Volvo and very nicely designed


Bit unfair on the Volvo as the xc60 interior is at least 10 years old with design language probably nearer 20.

However... go Kia. However you look at it they are knocking out some seriously impressive stuff these days.
gooner

Michael wrote:
The D5 XC60 is a 5 pot, possible the 4WD D4 as well, which was a detuned version of the D5 - so you might as well got the D5.


I thought it was being phased out in favour of 4 pots? Maybe the XC60 is the last model to still have it, I was fairly sure the V60 stopped being offered with the 5 pot a year or so ago, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong as I know you've had recent experience of being a Volvo customer.
Michael

You can still order an XC60 with the 5 cyclinder D5 engine.
JohnC

A V90 passed the office today (in black) and I thought it looked really smart. Apart from that I know little about Volvos other than many moons ago my brother's T5 was very rapid and the stereo was stonking!
Boxer6

JohnC wrote:
A V90 passed the office today (in black) and I thought it looked really smart. Apart from that I know little about Volvos other than many moons ago my brother's T5 was very rapid and the stereo was stonking!


My dad's V50 version too! Sometimes I sort of wish I'd kept it, but it'd be 10/11 years old now and hitting 150K miles!!

Still, my mum couldn't have handled being in it without my dad I don't think and the dogs wouldn't fit in it comfortably. Subjectively, though, it was a LOT quicker than the Legacy and even slightly more frugal.
Dr. Hfuhruhurr

I saw a V90 today and thought it looked stunning - could this be an option, rather than an SUV? I wouldn't put new car money into any Volvo other than that or an XC90, though, unless offered a staggering discount - as PhilD said, the rest of their range is getting on a bit.

Kia is a good call though, as is their alter ego Hyundai - the Tuscon is huge, though does lack interesting engines.

Is the F-Pace in budget? If so, that would seem to make a compelling argument for itself ...

Also worth bearing in mind, BMW are offering five-figure discounts on the 5-series Touring.
Michael

I'm not sure I'd bother looking at an F-Pace. You're not going to see a discount and I think they're over priced for what they are and the interior is not good enough. Obviously Jaguar will give zero fucks what I think given they can't make them quick enough.
Roadsterstu

Michael wrote:
The D5 XC60 is a 5 pot, possible the 4WD D4 as well, which was a detuned version of the D5 - so you might as well got the D5.


There was a T6 petrol - 300bhp. Top petrol engine now is called T5 but is a 2 litre 4 with 245bhp.
gonnabuildabuggy

Dr. Hfuhruhurr wrote:
I saw a V90 today and thought it looked stunning - could this be an option, rather than an SUV? I wouldn't put new car money into any Volvo other than that or an XC90, though, unless offered a staggering discount - as PhilD said, the rest of their range is getting on a bit.

Kia is a good call though, as is their alter ego Hyundai - the Tuscon is huge, though does lack interesting engines.

Is the F-Pace in budget? If so, that would seem to make a compelling argument for itself ...

Also worth bearing in mind, BMW are offering five-figure discounts on the 5-series Touring.


This kind of sums up my thoughts.

1. Plenty of estates would do the job but the Mrs likes the high seating position of MPV/SUV, something like an S6 has attraction to me but doesn't tick all the boxes.

2. I've never considered buying new as depreciation is the main cost of running a car but the discounts around on BMW's and some other brands are tempting me and are what's prompted the recent looking around. I haven't yet talked to BMW but Q5 deals were interesting but unfortunately only 2.0TDi's/SQ5's are readily available.

3. F Pace interests me but none starter without a hefty discount.

4. I can't really get excited about a Kia/Hyundai, the desire to change is a mix of boredom (mainly) and reflection that the FRV has been reliable so far but I think it's about to enter the period where it does get some bills. I've never owned a car I didn't like to drive for one reason or another (though I've had some company cars that were not my first choice).

5. The other question is whether it will be my car or the wife's. We share both in theory but I seem to have the FRV most often at the moment as I do least miles and it's oldest.

I am tempted to leave it and if I see something which appeals but isn't ideal just run it for a year or so until the kids start leaving. A Jeep GC or RR might fall into this category.
gonnabuildabuggy

Roadsterstu wrote:
Michael wrote:
The D5 XC60 is a 5 pot, possible the 4WD D4 as well, which was a detuned version of the D5 - so you might as well got the D5.


There was a T6 petrol - 300bhp. Top petrol engine now is called T5 but is a 2 litre 4 with 245bhp.


T6's are rare unfortunately, just 5 on AT right now. Generally 20K plus but some cheaper ones around this week.

Cheap for 3.0 - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611179861838

Nice but unrealistic price -http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201609278169898

PS - did you realise you can tell the listing date from the advert number? first one is 17/11/16, latter is 27/09/16 so has been up for nearly two months.
Roadsterstu

Ah, I didn't realise that from the listing number.
Roadsterstu

That 2nd advert. Just had their second baby so need a 7 seater?  
Chip Butty

How about a lightly used 7 series and a cushion ?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/class...from=2014&make=BMW&page=2
JohnC

The XC60 T6 looks like a really nice car with only 20,000 miles. I bet they have ordered a new XC90 and have a trade in of no more than 14K or 15K.

I reckon that 16K/16,500 would be enough to get that if the timing was right and the new car is nearly here. There aren't too many extras left off that and if the comparison is a RR for the same money, I'd take the Volvo every time instead of risking the 5K for a new gearbox or the 2K for the sticking electronic handbrake or the 4K for the suspension etc etc
Bob Sacamano

JohnC wrote:
The XC60 T6 looks like a really nice car with only 20,000 miles. I bet they have ordered a new XC90 and have a trade in of no more than 14K or 15K.

I reckon that 16K/16,500 would be enough to get that if the timing was right and the new car is nearly here. There aren't too many extras left off that and if the comparison is a RR for the same money, I'd take the Volvo every time instead of risking the 5K for a new gearbox or the 2K for the sticking electronic handbrake or the 4K for the suspension etc etc


Agreed. 20k is to strong for a 5 year old car.
JohnC

Chip Butty wrote:
How about a lightly used 7 series and a cushion ?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/class...from=2014&make=BMW&page=2


In anybody's book that is a lot of car for the money.
gonnabuildabuggy

JohnC wrote:
The XC60 T6 looks like a really nice car with only 20,000 miles. I bet they have ordered a new XC90 and have a trade in of no more than 14K or 15K.

I reckon that 16K/16,500 would be enough to get that if the timing was right and the new car is nearly here. There aren't too many extras left off that and if the comparison is a RR for the same money, I'd take the Volvo every time instead of risking the 5K for a new gearbox or the 2K for the sticking electronic handbrake or the 4K for the suspension etc etc


My thought too to some extent.

Not as fuel efficient but a T6 comes across as a cut price but bigger SQ5.

Needs the pano roof though I think.
JohnC

gonnabuildabuggy wrote:
JohnC wrote:
The XC60 T6 looks like a really nice car with only 20,000 miles. I bet they have ordered a new XC90 and have a trade in of no more than 14K or 15K.

I reckon that 16K/16,500 would be enough to get that if the timing was right and the new car is nearly here. There aren't too many extras left off that and if the comparison is a RR for the same money, I'd take the Volvo every time instead of risking the 5K for a new gearbox or the 2K for the sticking electronic handbrake or the 4K for the suspension etc etc


My thought too to some extent.

Not as fuel efficient but a T6 comes across as a cut price but bigger SQ5.

Needs the pano roof though I think.


The Volvo has a light coloured headlining so I don't think the panoramic roof is as essential as it is in the Q5.

A T6 is already a hen's tooth and I think finding one with a panoramic roof and the right spec would be like finding the diamond tipped version - we'll still be discussing it when the XC60 has reached classic status!
Chip Butty

Peak VFM

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/class...ising-location=at_cars&page=3

6,000 miles
JohnC

These are probably the equivalent, if not more expensive Q5 alternatives to the XC60:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/class...ising-location=at_cars&page=1

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/class...e=cv346xn&model=Q5&page=1
Grampa

Roadsterstu wrote:
That 2nd advert. Just had their second baby so need a 7 seater?


50 years ago a Mini was all that was needed for a family of four, or if you really needed space, you got a Cortina like my dad did (Mk1) when we became 5 - later swapped for a Capri.

Probably where my attitude as to how much space is required for two kids came from.
PhilD

You must have all been tiny 50 years ago  
cbeaks1

50 years ago you could store your newborn on the parcel shelf.
PhilD

cbeaks1 wrote:
50 years ago you could store your newborn on the parcel shelf.


I've always wondered what the lip was for.
Alf McQueef

I agree about the new XC90 interior - when I was mountain biking in Wales a month ago, a friend had one there, it was very very nice inside!

F-Pace not on the list    ?

I quite like Q5's, but they are incredibly common at times, if that bothers you. I had the misfortune of having to do some long drives in rush hour last week (usually my drives are in the daytime or late evenings) and was frequently stuck behind 3 Q5's in a row... There must be good deals on them on lease right now![/b]
gonnabuildabuggy

JohnC wrote:
These are probably the equivalent, if not more expensive Q5 alternatives to the XC60:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/class...ising-location=at_cars&page=1

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/class...e=cv346xn&model=Q5&page=1


Thanks. The former looks quite good.

F Pace nowhere near the list as my initial budget was 10K which is moving slowly north but isn't at 20K yet, let alone 50K.

But......if there was a stupid, stupid deal on something new I'd consider it.

Given the loan/payments ratio on student loans right now then I think it's more likely that the little GBB's will benefit and I'll drive something cheap.
gooner

Reading this weeks road test in Autocar made me wonder if the new Skoda Kodiac is worth looking at. There might not be many silly deals as it's new and I suspect will be in demand.

       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Your Motor
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum