Archive for The Motor Forum "We are mature men in the highest cadres of our careers"
 


       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Test Driven
Roadsterstu

Something a bit different

The V50 is in at the nearby Volvo specialist for timing and auxiliary belt replacements. There is always the option of a loan car, at no additional cost. The selection, mostly Volvo of course, can be a bit variable but that is part of the fun. Here is today's loaner:







It's the 163PS 2.0 turbo. Quick it most certainly is not. However, it is extremely comfy and quiet. The seats are spectacularly comfy (V50 seats, whilst good, are not a patch on those in the bigger, older Volvos).
It feels big, heavy and solid and whilst it turns into corners with a reasonable willingness, the steering is rather numb. It will be interesting to see what Evan thinks when I pick him up from school in a bit.
TreVoR

They were never that highly rated when released, but I have always liked them.

I wanted an orange T5 as seen in the remake of The Saint.
PG

I love the original C70. One of my guilty pleasures. I was lucky enough to drive one with the with the T5 engine and auto box. The perfect coupe cruiser.

Quite agree re the seats. Volvo seats of that era are just the best.

Gold metallic, 84k miles = barely run in. £995.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201406094883682
Roadsterstu

It would suit the auto better than the manual. Shame it isn't a T5. Well is is, technically, even if not in name or power! It has novelty value but it does show just how good earlier Volvos can be as comfy cruisers. This one has 170k on it...
Chris M Wanted a V-10

Re: Something a bit different

Roadsterstu wrote:
It will be interesting to see what Evan thinks when I pick him up from school in a bit.

"Dad, did the V50 shrink in the rain when it got wet?"
Alf McQueef

I'll whisper this, but: I used to like these...
Roadsterstu

Re: Something a bit different

Chris M Wanted a V-10 wrote:
Roadsterstu wrote:
It will be interesting to see what Evan thinks when I pick him up from school in a bit.

"Dad, did the V50 shrink in the rain when it got wet?"


"Can we keep this one?" is what he said. Er, noooooooo...
Blarno

These things are dirt cheap now. A bloke on Barryboys picked up an orange T5 for something like £600.
gonnabuildabuggy

TreVoR wrote:
They were never that highly rated when released, but I have always liked them.

I wanted an orange T5 as seen in the remake of The Saint.


Same.

Cracking car to look at and waft in. Rubbish handling.

Very cheap for what they are.
gonnabuildabuggy

PG wrote:
I love the original C70. One of my guilty pleasures. I was lucky enough to drive one with the with the T5 engine and auto box. The perfect coupe cruiser.

Quite agree re the seats. Volvo seats of that era are just the best.

Gold metallic, 84k miles = barely run in. £995.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201406094883682


One good thing about Volvo's is they attract older owners who tend to look after their cars.

After looking at that I'm pondering if I've got £7K of unnecessary expense sitting on the drive.
Roadsterstu

C70 gone back. It was nice to get back in the V50 and experience steering feel and a decent chassis.

I agree with some of the comments above about the C70. I rather liked it. A T5 auto would be ideal for effortless wafting.
Andy C

After reading your text I was expecting to see a focus st !

       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Test Driven
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum