Archive for The Motor Forum "We are mature men in the highest cadres of our careers"
 


       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Test Driven
Boxer6

Range Rover Vogue SE

Full-fat Rangey's are cars I have long held a bit of a candle for, right from seeing Edward Woodward as 'Callan' wringing the neck of one over town & dale at a frankly ridiculous rate of knots. Riddled with problems as they are, I've always thought of a Range Rover as one of my lottery garage inhabitants.

Well, based on a couple of short, on-road drives of this 3.0l-diesel variant Im no longer so sure. Decent enough grunt for what it is, but not exactly stellar in performance either accelerating or handling - a somewhat disconcerting amount of body-roll and, on occasion, a slightly nauseous feeling as it traversed some of the ropier roads round our way.

Interior - well, that was a bit of a let-down too. I don't know why, but I expected a definite and noticeable enhancement over the Discovery's hide, stitching and overall quality, but it just isn't there. This is maybe not helped by the fact it's a rental (from Enterprise, who I have to say have been excellent) with cream interior and has only been off the road for its' first service in the year and 5 days since 1st registration - I'll tell you what else too; there are some really manky bastards driving these cars, judging by the state of the carpets and door trims. The number of buttons are few and far between, leaving most of the controls accessible only through the main satnav screen - not keen, even though it seems most makers are going down this route.

So, all in all, a big disappointment to me. Obviously a back-to-back off-road comparison with a Disco would be a bit more informing vis a vis its original raison d'etre, but that isn't likely to happen any time soon!
Martin

Is it the current model?  It sounds like the old one, but I thought that was replaced towards the end of 2012?
PG

If it is a late model (only just over 12 months old) previous generation, then it must be a V8 diesel. I thought that was the only diesel engine available latterly. Unless it is some sort of rent-a-car special lash up? The 3.0 straight 6 diesel Rangie was a terrible engined car - slow, glacially slow. But that passed away quite a few years ago.

I like Range Rovers, but I think you have to adjust your mental approach and driving style to suit them. They never really were a cross country tool and for the first mile or so, you alwasy think "what the fuck" but then they seem to grow on you (well me..).
Boxer6

Definitely the 3-litre 6, PG - Enterprise fella confirmed it last night when he was dropping off a trailer plate.
Frank Bullitt

PG wrote:
If it is a late model (only just over 12 months old) previous generation, then it must be a V8 diesel. I thought that was the only diesel engine available latterly. Unless it is some sort of rent-a-car special lash up? The 3.0 straight 6 diesel Rangie was a terrible engined car - slow, glacially slow. But that passed away quite a few years ago.


You can still get the full-fat current RR with a 3.0 6- it's the same basic engine that various Jaguar's, Citroen's and Peugeot's use (itself an update of the 2.7 unit).  I drove a new FFRR off road at Solihull in March 2013, it was a fantastic experience but apart from 25mph on the roads around the factory I never got to drive it on Tarmac and this one was a V8 oiler.
PG

Boxer6 wrote:
Definitely the 3-litre 6, PG - Enterprise fella confirmed it last night when he was dropping off a trailer plate.


There was no 3 litre at the run out of the old generation RR. Engine history is -



If it is a 3 litre diesel then it must either be ancient - about 2005 registered - or a new generation model.
Chip Butty

If it was a 3.0 L405 - then they use a 258 bhp (440 lbs ft) tune, which will give better performance than a current Disco 4 and the earlier 245ps Disco 4.

If it was an L322 - then that car never received the 3.0 V6 diesel - they were launched with BMW's 3.0 straight six and then that was replaced with a 3.6 V8 which then was upgraded to a 4.4 in 2010.

Posting a pic/reg number would help
Roadsterstu

Open the bonnet and take a pic!
Martin

I still don't know whether it's a current model or not, I'm even more confused now!
Boxer6

Chip Butty wrote:
If it was a 3.0 L405 - then they use a 258 bhp (440 lbs ft) tune, which will give better performance than a current Disco 4 and the earlier 245ps Disco 4.

If it was an L322 - then that car never received the 3.0 V6 diesel - they were launched with BMW's 3.0 straight six and then that was replaced with a 3.6 V8 which then was upgraded to a 4.4 in 2010.

Posting a pic/reg number would help


It's an L405. No pics I'm afraid, but the reg number is OY63OAD if anything further can be gleaned form that.
Racing Teatray

Isn't light leather just a recipe for disaster in any car? I was in a fairly new Evoque recently with a cream leather interior and even although the owner seemed pretty neat and tidy, the cream leather was definitely grubby in places. Likewise the beige leather in my father's year old A7 I noticed the other day.

Dark shades are surely more practical, especially in an SUV, however "luxury".
Martin

It's not easy to keep clean, but it is possible.  After 5 years I couldn't face it again though, however nice it looks.
PG

I've driven an L405 3.0 diesel. It was really good - as a luxury SUV.Yes, it is no sports car and you have to learn how to drive it satisfyingly, but if it was really that disappointing, what was it that you expected that is did not deliver?
Boxer6

PG wrote:
I've driven an L405 3.0 diesel. It was really good - as a luxury SUV.Yes, it is no sports car and you have to learn how to drive it satisfyingly, but if it was really that disappointing, what was it that you expected that is did not deliver?


I think it's that simply that I've built up in my mind what it would be like, and it just wasn't! Which mostly comes down to not feeling as "special" as I thought it would, not helped by Herself's oft-voiced desire that "I want my car back, now!" I suppose I should add that, in the event of that elusive lottery win, I would still have one - just not a diesel and definitely NOT a light-coloured interior!

       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Test Driven
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum