Archive for The Motor Forum "We are mature men in the highest cadres of our careers"
 


       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Read All About It
Michael

Porsche Boxster 718



http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news...2016-porsche-718-boxster-revealed
Twelfth Monkey

I'm sure it'll be better to drive, more efficient etc, but to me that just says 'new model slightly pointier than old one.'  I know that the TT is no comparison as a drivers' car, but it does show that you can do more than glacially evolve a shape whilst keeping it recognisable.  1/10 for effort - see me after class.
Bob Sacamano

Twelfth Monkey wrote:
I'm sure it'll be better to drive, more efficient etc, but to me that just says 'new model slightly pointier than old one.'  I know that the TT is no comparison as a drivers' car, but it does show that you can do more than glacially evolve a shape whilst keeping it recognisable.  1/10 for effort - see me after class.


+1 Colour me underwhelmed.
Martin

It's only a facelift, not a new model.  Based on the mixed reviews of the 991.2 engine, it's the engine change that concerns me.
Giant

Despite the name change this is only a facelift, and visually a rather successful one IMO
Twelfth Monkey

Martin wrote:
It's only a facelift, not a new model.  Based on the mixed reviews of the 991.2 engine, it's the engine change that concerns me.


I understand what you mean, but I think facelift is a term that's rarely appropriate.  To me it means something largely cosmetic, whereas this involves changes to the oily bits proper.
Roadsterstu

I don't mind a gentle evolution of a design. It's suited Porsche, VW etc well over the years. This, however, has fallen into the over styling trap. It's far too fussy in some of the details and verges on an aftermarket tuner look.

Plus, would they really badge it 718?
Michael

I think it's a nice improvement - I particularly like the back. I'm of the view that a Porsche would evolve gradually, it's doing that well.
PhilD

Roadsterstu wrote:
This, however, has fallen into the over styling trap. It's far too fussy in some of the details and verges on an aftermarket tuner look.



Looks simpler/cleaner to me. Apart from the overly long name! Martin, would you go with a simple "718" ?
Frank Bullitt

Michael wrote:
I think it's a nice improvement - I particularly like the back. I'm of the view that a Porsche would evolve gradually, it's doing that well.


+1, I'm no Porsche fan-boy but that's got some very tidy tweaks on it.
Martin

No, I'd remove the whole badge.  

It's the same with a 911, you have to leave 'Porsche' on there, but it looks much better when you remove Carrera S (or whatever the model is) on a new car, as it moves the Porsche script down so it sits in the centre of the panel.  You can also have the badge painted, either in the body colour which might work on some colours, or a contrasting colour.
JohnC

I'd have absolutely no problem in saying thank you very much to that. I like the slightly sharper front end/lights treatment, a bit less keen on the stick up piece at the rear with Porsche on it. However none of that detracts from its attractiveness for me. The engine and how it goes will be the main issue.
PG

I like the front. Not sure about the black lines across the back - is that spoiler moveable or fixed? It looks fixed to me (which is a backward step) whereas wasn't the old one an up and down one?
PhilD

Roadsterstu wrote:
some of the details and verges on an aftermarket tuner look.



Thinking more about this, I said recently that I thog=ught the recent 911 facelift had taken cues from the Singer stuff so maybe the same can be said here? If the aftermarket boys are doing such a good job why not copy!
Martin

PG wrote:
I like the front. Not sure about the black lines across the back - is that spoiler moveable or fixed? It looks fixed to me (which is a backward step) whereas wasn't the old one an up and down one?


I don't know for sure, but it looks like it's the same as the current car (so movable) just with a logo where the secondary high level brake light was.
Tim

Another 'over-named' car!

When I looked at the front photo Michael posted I had to double check to make sure this wasn't an old thread as I can't see any difference.

Not sure about the black bit at the rear but if they put a scrolling red LED band in there you could buy a black car and reverse everywhere to live out your Knightrider fantasies  
Racing Teatray

Do I therefore understand that all Boxsters/Caymans are henceforth powered by kitchen appliances...sorry I mean 4 cylinder engines...?

I thought they were just adding a 4-cylinder base model.
Twelfth Monkey

The back really is a bit OTT, isn't it?
PhilD

Tim wrote:


Not sure about the black bit at the rear but if they put a scrolling red LED band in there you could buy a black car and reverse everywhere to live out your Knightrider fantasies  


I think I'd have the Porsche letters light up, either as the brake light or scroll through KITT style.
Tim

PhilD wrote:
Tim wrote:


Not sure about the black bit at the rear but if they put a scrolling red LED band in there you could buy a black car and reverse everywhere to live out your Knightrider fantasies  


I think I'd have the Porsche letters light up, either as the brake light or scroll through KITT style.


Actually on a more serious note that would be a much better idea and would tidy the back of the car up a bit more.
I presume though that where the badge is is too low for the brake light?
PhilD

Tim wrote:
PhilD wrote:
Tim wrote:


Not sure about the black bit at the rear but if they put a scrolling red LED band in there you could buy a black car and reverse everywhere to live out your Knightrider fantasies  


I think I'd have the Porsche letters light up, either as the brake light or scroll through KITT style.


Actually on a more serious note that would be a much better idea and would tidy the back of the car up a bit more.
I presume though that where the badge is is too low for the brake light?


We have seen badges lit up on concepts but not on a production model (as far as I'm aware) and as DRLs and LEDs are popping up everywhere this is a bit odd. Can only assume legislation prevents it?
Michael

The original Viper GTS had emblem on the back as a third brake light. I would guess it's a legislative thing that prevents much of this. I know the third brake light has to be higher than the outer two which it wouldn't be on this.
Big Blue

Sorry: the rear of that is MINGING.

Inside it looks off the scale of nice though.
Nelson

just about perfect, just not sure about the darkened front lights, but I guess they are the optional ones but I could easily overlook this.

I've already seen the promotional pic of a grey one with a red roof and that looks fabulous, the pick of colour combos for me
Nelson

Big Blue wrote:
Sorry: the rear of that is MINGING.

Inside it looks off the scale of nice though.


I don't think the promotional Friday night pavement sick orange helps to make to darkened rear lenses look good in this instance, in a darker body colour or even a white they look great imo
JohnC

Nelson wrote:

I've already seen the promotional pic of a grey one with a red roof and that looks fabulous, the pick of colour combos for me


I would never have chosen that colour combination but there is a current series Boxster in that colour which passes the office most days, and it really stands out as different and attractive.

       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Read All About It
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum