Archive for The Motor Forum "We are mature men in the highest cadres of our careers"
 


       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Your Motor
TreVoR

Next project

Spotted on eBay yesterday. In the absence of having a horse lorry and no idea as to when I will get a payout, I have no way of getting any hay for the horses over the winter.

The local farmer will have some and can deliver, but if it is bad, I am snookered so I was looking for a large trailer for not too much money - the big Ifors are upwards of £1500. This was £500.

It is an old Richardson. It is going need some tidying up of the wiring which will be peanuts and brakes which could either be peanuts or a couple of hundred but I will do it myself. Coat of paint on the frame and mudguards and job done.

The wheels Land Rover ones which appeal.






Martin

Have you checked underneath?  

I can see you pulling away and leaving most of it behind, like a Top Gear caravan sketch!

Seriously.... Looks suitably agricultural and you can't really go wrong at that price.
Chris M Wanted a V-10

What happened to the horse lorry?

Are you sure that the trailer isn't going to need a new chassis once you start rubbing the paint down to get a closer look???
TreVoR



There is a topic running.

I have the trailer in bits. As I suspected, he brakes are shot. The drums will clean up but I need to order four new back plate assemblies so that is a £200 cost. It also appears that the hitch tube is seized. This may just be the shock absorber.

Plan of action is to cut off old welded back plates and bolt the new ones on along with a new set of brake cables, compensators etc; free off the hitch tube and it should be ready to go.
Martin

I love that you make it sound as simple as all you need to do is pop a new taillight bulb in!
TreVoR

After some research, it isn't that simple. The back plates have to be welded as there isn't a flange to bolt them to. That's marginally irritating, but there is a friendly welding engineer up the road.
Frank Bullitt

When your profile is the originator of a 'purchase' thread, the Steptoe and Son music starts playing in my mind.  I am not disappointed!
Bob Sacamano

TreVoR wrote:
After some research, it isn't that simple. The back plates have to be welded as there isn't a flange to bolt them to. That's marginally irritating, but there is a friendly welding engineer up the road.


And so it begins...




Bob Sacamano

On another note it's amazing how little trailer you get for your £500 compared to a car.
Big Blue

Bob Sacamano wrote:
On another note it's amazing how little trailer you get for your £500 compared to a car.


Good point. You could get an MoTd car for that.
TreVoR

Yes, big braked trailers are bloody dear. As I mentioned, an Ifor or Bateson would start at £1200-1500 and there is no guarantee that they aren't shagged either.
Roadsterstu

TreVoR wrote:
Yes, big braked trailers are bloody dear. As I mentioned, an Ifor or Bateson would start at £1200-1500 and there is no guarantee that they aren't stolen either.

FYP
TreVoR

Agreed - I have to say that's one of the reasons I steered clear of them on eBay.
Tim

Big Blue wrote:
Bob Sacamano wrote:
On another note it's amazing how little trailer you get for your £500 compared to a car.


Good point. You could get an MoTd car for that.


2005 BMW 320d estate with leather, climate and working satnav/TV.  
Mind you that trailer is, bodily, in better condition than the BMW.
TreVoR

Good day at it today.

Hubs put back together so I can drive it to the welder. I have also dismantled the coupling and have ordered some new bits for that as well as the brakes. The coupling tube had seized. It's pretty badly pitted so I have ordered a new one.
TreVoR

Picked it up from the welder/fabricator today. New brake back plates installed.  I've ordered too short Bowden cables so ordered some longer ones for the rear axle.

Just got them to fit, the new electrics to sort, refit the mudguards and it is ready for work.
TreVoR

Used properly for the first time yesterday to pick up two big round bales of hay. The farmer placed both bales on he trailer using his loader, I strapped them down and I was away.

New brakes work fine and even hold the defender going down steep hills.

Beats half an hour manually loading small bakes into the back of a lorry and the same to unload at home.  Unloading was as simple as rolling them off the trailer into the hay store. Definitely a good investment.
Big Blue

Ooo-ar. I'm always amazed at the activities that accompany living in the countryside. Not sure what would have had to have happened for me to roll a bale of hay into my garage.

Sounds like a good buy though.
TreVoR

If you had rabbits and saw the cost of the pet shop hay compared to that straight from a farmer!
Tim

Big Blue wrote:
Not sure what would have had to have happened for me to roll a bale of hay into my garage.


It would involve the ownership of horses unless you wanted to set up a country 'damsel in distress' scenario  
PhilD

Big Blue wrote:
Ooo-ar. I'm always amazed at the activities that accompany living in the countryside. Not sure what would have had to have happened for me to roll a bale of hay into my garage.



Off the top off my head:

- Rabbit
- Country Show themed garden party
- Sheep
- Insulation
- Guy / "person" to stab with a bayonet
PG

TreVoR wrote:
Beats half an hour manually loading small bakes into the back of a lorry and the same to unload at home.  Unloading was as simple as rolling them off the trailer into the hay store. Definitely a good investment.


Having made and moved about 600 bales of small bale hay for a couple of years we vowed "never again". Big bales all the way now.
Big Blue

PhilD wrote:
Big Blue wrote:
Ooo-ar. I'm always amazed at the activities that accompany living in the countryside. Not sure what would have had to have happened for me to roll a bale of hay into my garage.



Off the top off my head:

- Rabbit - they are for eating not feeding
- Country Show themed garden party no chance
- Sheep - as a Freeman of The City of London I can drive sheep across Blackfriars Bridge but the opportunity has never arisen
- Insulation - fully Kingspanned up
- Guy / "person" to stab with a bayonet - W2.0 threatens me with this so I don't want to offer her a chance to keep her eye in


See my comments above.
Chris M Wanted a V-10

Big Blue wrote:

- Sheep - as a Freeman of The City of London I can drive sheep across Blackfriars Bridge but the opportunity has never arisen


If a sheep has passed its driving test, it could drive you across the bridge !

I'll get my (sheepskin) coat.....

       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Your Motor
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum