Archive for The Motor Forum "We are mature men in the highest cadres of our careers"
 


       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Your Motor
Humphrey The Pug

New car time

Well new to us!

Tina's C3 is knocking on the door for 14 years old now, we have had it 6 years and it has not really missed a beat.

The MOT is due end of the month and I know it needs at least 2 lower arms to get it through, lately it has been cutting out but it re-starts straightaway, it is shed and Tina stuffed it into a fence a couple of weeks ago when the roads were icy, it was fine but the rear quarter and door could look better!

So as she needs it for work (Tina is a nanny) and it is getting to the age where a big problem is likely just around the corner and rather than spending money on it on known problems to get it through its MOT we have decided to get shot of it, it's only worth scrap now and with an MOT and 200 spend to get it through; probably 150-200.

Tina isn't after anything extravagant and we have decided 4k as a top budget (thanks mum for the interest free loan), this is where the conflict starts.

She wants a city car; fine as 99% of its use will be local driving, she loves the look of the C1/107; fine, I quite like them too in a cute way and there are plenty out there for that money, however I can get a Mii at trade money as we have a SEAT branch, so we are looking at a 2/3 year old 20,000 miles, far better built Mii for similar money to a 4/5 year old 107/C1 with many more miles; "I don't like the Mii, it's boxy".

i10 is a good shout but she doesn't like that and I can see her point as they are deathly dull, however many are ultra low miles as they have only been owned by oldies and they are likely to still have a bit of manufacturers warranty on them due to the 5 year warranty they come with from new.

Car hunting on Sunday and I hate looking for cars and I can see it being very stressfull!!
Michael

Would leasing something be an option?
Humphrey The Pug

Michael wrote:
Would leasing something be an option?


I don't want to go that route.
Martin

My parents went from a 107 to an Up and it's a much, much better car in every way.  The Up is a higher spec which helps, but get her to drive both and she'll soon change her mind.
PG

Martin wrote:
...but get her to drive both and she'll soon change her mind.


And is she doesn't, just do the sensible "peace at home" thing and get a 107/C1.
Martin

Wimp!  

Making sure the one car I knew would be best is driven has worked for me several times.
Andy C

Dacia sandero?

I think they're great value for money
Humphrey The Pug

Andy C wrote:
Dacia sandero?

I think they're great value for money


If she won't have a Mii I don't think I can see her agreeing to a Sandero somehow, anyway the 1.2 is a bit pants and you are looking at 110 rfl, whereas a Mii/Up!, C1/107 are 0/20 rfl and far better on fuel too, the Sandero is also bigger aswell.

I can also get an Up! (she likes the Up!, it is a better looking car than the Mii)at trade money and she appears to be softening on having to have a 5dr, most Up!'s in the VAG system are 3dr, however they are also all red or white; she doesn't like either!!

Shame that the current Twingo is unloved as there are none about and I'm sure an early one will be 4k already.
cbeaks1

No idea in prices but how about a Fiat 500 ?
Racing Teatray

What about a Panda?
Michael

By the sounds of it you\d be better off washing your hands of anything to do with the decision and letting her make her own bed.
Giant

At that price are you looking at the current 107/C1 or previous model? Only other cars in that field I can think of would be Argo and Citigo, which are the same as others anyhow.

I know you said you don't want to lease, but I keep seeing ads for all the above cars for 99 pcm, which would mean your 4K would get her a brand new car for 3.5 years. Think I'd do this if the budget isn't getting her into current model 107/C1s.

However, given women's logic and biases are involved (Mii being too boxy but Up! is ok?!), as others suggest, let her decide then just find the best one available in budget!
Humphrey The Pug

Michael wrote:
By the sounds of it you\d be better off washing your hands of anything to do with the decision and letting her make her own bed.


Story of my life when it comes to cars; I work in the trade, I get asked advice by friends and acquaintances and without fail it is always ignored, and now even my own bloody wife won't listen to me, what do I know!!

I am still going to get her to have a look at and a drive of a Mii though, it frustrates me as the quality and build is head and shoulders above the C1/107; they aren't bad cars at all, the Mii is just that little bit bitter IMO, especially at the money I can get one for.
Chris M Wanted a V-10

Humphrey The Pug wrote:
the Mii is just that little bit bitter IMO

Bright yellow one?

Does it have to have 5 doors or would 3 be OK ?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/class...3500&price-to=4500&page=1

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/class...=30000&radius=1500&page=1

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/class...012&sort=price-asc&page=9

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/class...rg&sort=price-asc&page=14
Humphrey The Pug

Chris M Wanted a V-10 wrote:
Humphrey The Pug wrote:
the Mii is just that little bit bitter IMO

Bright yellow one?

Does it have to have 5 doors or would 3 be OK ?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/class...3500&price-to=4500&page=1


A 112000 mile diesel Fiesta; errrr no thanks!!
Chris M Wanted a V-10

25k Modus added to above links ?

3k miles Micra:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/class...nnual-tax-cars=TO_100&page=21
DetmoldDick

Have you tried visiting your local Renault dealership?  
Roadsterstu

Michael wrote:
By the sounds of it you\d be better off washing your hands of anything to do with the decision and letting her make her own bed.


But then it will be his fault for not helping, of course.
Giant

Chris M Wanted a V-10 wrote:
25k Modus added to above links ?

3k miles Micra:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/class...nnual-tax-cars=TO_100&page=21


He's shopping for his wife, not his 90year old grandmother!! I can't imagine if a Mii doesn't cut it how a Modus or Micra would be considered, rightly so IMO!
Humphrey The Pug

DetmoldDick wrote:
Have you tried visiting your local Renault dealership?


You say that, however we have nothing and there is nothing centrally that is suitable, an early current shape Twingo should be 4k trade, however it is an unloved car so there are none anywhere; central Renault used stock or finance returns.

It is the same with the previous shape Twingo, (she is softening on the need for a 5dr)  there is absolutely nothing, anyway the previous Twingo isn't all that and I believe a 107/C1 is a better car.
Giant

A (theoretical ) current twingo for 4k sounds very cheap, that'd be my choice, for novelty value if nothing else!
Racing Teatray

I take it Fiats are a no-no, since both suggestions appear to have been roundly ignored?
Humphrey The Pug

Racing Teatray wrote:
I take it Fiats are a no-no, since both suggestions appear to have been roundly ignored?


Well actually as she may be softening on the "need" for a 5dr, or at least realising that options within that sector are limited so is questioning the "need" when it comes to a 5dr, she may re-think a 500; she has always liked them, what woman hasn't.

She is a nanny, and uses her car for work, the kids have car seats but they are old enough to get themselves in and out and buckle themselves in, Tina has our grandson once a week, he needs help getting in and out of his seat, however once a week isn't exactly going to be a hardship.

The boot is small, but then it is small on all of these cars and her boot is only used to collect crap, our dogs are small so a small boot isn't an issue.

There are plenty of 500's out there too, my only reservation is, they seem to be a bit fragile.

The Panda will be a no no.
JohnC

What about a slightly older Mini. 4K would probably get you a modest mile 57/58 plate Cooper.
DetmoldDick

Not a "City Car" but how about an Ibiza?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/class...00&postcode=gu12rg&page=7

Or a Mazda 2?
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/class...sc&postcode=gu12rg&page=8
Roadsterstu

Mazda 2 well worthy of consideration. The 1.3 will run with almost no oil at all, too, as Mrs R could attest.
Racing Teatray

Are 500s particularly fragile?

My wife has commuted in her one daily for the past three years and counting, without anything more serious than a single puncture so far (touch wood). And given we'd struggle to get 6k privately for her 14k mile 2013/63 Twinair Lounge in London, I'd expect 4k to buy quite a lot of tidy low-mileage 500 privately outside London.

I think if you service them regularly, they should be fine. We service my wife's one regularly once a year under Fiat's low-mileage service regime. The 1.2 is really rather slow but makes up for that by being more economical than the Twinair. It's not so much that the Twinair is not economical if you drive normally, it's fine - it's just that it's an engine that begs to be thrashed in the finest tradition of small Italian cars, and if you thrash it, economy plummets.

And they are more practical than you think. The boot isn't actually as tiny as some, and the rear seats split fold. The front doors are huge and you can get four normal-sized adults in one. A Lounge has pretty much all you'd want spec-wise. The only option ours has is the built-in dock for the Blue&Me TomTom, which is handy but not essential. The only option I think my wife would like it to have that it lacks is heated seats.
Humphrey The Pug

Mazda 3 is a good shout.

MINI unfortunately is going away from cheap to run, insure, tax etc.

She has said she will look at a Mii; half way there!!

Personally I think she is mad if she doesn't go for a Mii, half the problem is all the Mii's on the VAG site are red or white, I reckon if a lairy colour with alloys came up she would be all over it.
Chris M Wanted a V-10

500's and the Ka are frequently praised for being robust, based on the Panda's chassis.  I had no fragility issues with the Ka, just an engine management sensor that failed prematurely (and tyres prone to punctures, but that's not relevant here!)
Humphrey The Pug

Every 500 that we have had here for sale has always seemed to be a bit fragile and not worn particularly well, that's all I'm basing my findings on.
Racing Teatray

Perhaps that's because, at the risk of sounding deeply sexist, they tend to attract the type of young female driver who treats their car like a mobile dustbin and never washes it?
Chris M Wanted a V-10

Racing Teatray wrote:
..... who treats their car like a mobile dustbin and never washes it?

Tee hee !
Humphrey The Pug

What is interesting and also has been mentioned on other forums; is the lack of private ads out thre for cars, the vast majority being trade and and the few private ones are up at retail money (something else that has been noted on forums too).

I guess with the hassle of selling privately and the rise of online sales sites such as WBAC, people just want rid in an easy and no hassle way.
BeN

I never knew there was such a thing as a Grand Modus.

DD's Mazda 2 suggestion looks pretty neat.
Martin

Humphrey The Pug wrote:
What is interesting and also has been mentioned on other forums; is the lack of private ads out thre for cars, the vast majority being trade and and the few private ones are up at retail money (something else that has been noted on forums too).

I guess with the hassle of selling privately and the rise of online sales sites such as WBAC, people just want rid in an easy and no hassle way.


Maybe more to do with the increase in PCPs and cheap lease deals, meaning cars just get handed back or traded?
Chris M Wanted a V-10

For a little over budget, from a main dealer where you may be able to haggle a good interest rate:
http://www.thinkford.co.uk/used-c...00-ford-fiesta-1.25-zetec-5dr-82/

... and that's just a first-of quick look. I'm sure you can find better offers if you spend a few minutes browsing

edit:
http://www.usedcars.citroen.co.uk...0132-214781.aspx?srcmdc=se_na_re_
Racing Teatray

I think it's the ease and depends on your valuation. My mother is part-exing her A3 with the Mini dealer. They offered above book and there wasn't much in it between that and what I thought I might get for it privately, plus it avoids the need to temporarily either be without a car (impossible if you live in the sticks) or have to insure two.

By contrast I did not part-ex the M135i because there was a wide gulf between the part-ex/WBAC price and market value.
Humphrey The Pug

Well after spending a good few (painful) hours this afternoon looking at cars, this is how far we have got and also the conclusion as to what my good lady wants:

1. Mii: agrees that it is better put together, has a bigger and better shaped boot and is more refined than the C1/107, however she says it is boring to look at (can't disagree) and categorically doesn't want one.

2. C1: likes the styling as it's cute and bulbous (can't disagree; it isn't unattractive), said she liked the drive however she didn't sound too convincing but agreed it was tinny and a bit buzzy, we looked at a base model as that was all that was available, she asked if we could see a higher spec as "it might be nicer inside and less cheap and tinny", I confirmed that they were all the same. Tina said that the boot was big enough (I'm not so sure that the size would be frustrating at some point plus the lip is very high and the apature isn't the best shape, the dogs will fit but it'll be tight and they would have to be lifted in). C1/107 is (or was!) still on the list.

Then she wanted to go to see a Fiat 500.

3. Fiat 500: Tina looked around a locked one and loved it, sat in one and fell in love (I'm not surprised!), what I was surprised with was the boot; I'd looked in 500 boots before, however at the time it wasn't really of interest, but seeing inside one straight after a C1 and Mii boot and being interested in the boot; it's a bloody good shape and size with a much lower lip than the other two cars, plus the dogs will fit in easily with space to spare

4. Up!: Had a look online at them, however they are relatively strong money for something quite dull, there is definately a premium for the VW badge, the fact that I can get an almost identical Mii for much less grates me, Tina likes them and they do look better than the Mii but I think they are a no go.

So it looks like it is a Fiat 500 that we are after.

Prices for 500's are all over the show and after originaly setting a max budget of 4k, it appears that another 500 or so can get you quite a bit more, so it looks as though the budget may be stretched a tad, I've found a couple of reasonably priced Twin Airs that appeal; 12/13 plates for 4000/4500, there aren't many Twin Airs out there however they appear cheaper than NA 1.2 or 1.4 engines of a similar spec, I like the 0 tax and that they are different plus after doing a bit of research they appear reliable, appearing to take high miles in their stride, although no more economical than a 1.2.

Looks like my day off on Tuesday is going to be a busy one.
Chris M Wanted a V-10

Do you (still) have the Fiat franchise in Aldershot or is that another garage group?  I hope the twin air engine has a bit more poke than the 1.2 fitted to the Ka; should make a great drive if you can find what she wants !

(Just don't get a white one if you want it to look clean !)
Racing Teatray

Ya see! I've always been thoroughly impressed with us. They just don't feel like budget choices either.

The Twinair is night and day better than a 1.2 - much sprightlier and just fun. Also make sure you get a Lounge or S at least. Lounges get natty alloys, Bluetooth, leccy mirrors and windows, a fixed glass roof and other  bits and bobs.  In addition, Twinair Lounges get standard digital climate control (Lounges with other engines make do with standard a/c).

Personally I think it's worth seeking out one with the Ivory interior ambience which gives you a cream-coloured steering wheel and dash plastics that shouldn't work but actually really do - they add a lot to the upmarket ambience compared to the black alternative.
gooner

Do you want me to chat with my brother and see if he can do a fellow car salesman a deal? He works for Fiat dealer near Swanwick. Can't promise anything of course but I can PM you his details.
Chris M Wanted a V-10

Racing Teatray wrote:

Personally I think it's worth seeking out one with the Ivory interior ambience which gives you a cream-coloured steering wheel and dash plastics that shouldn't work but actually really do


With a bit on neglect, I foresee a uniform grey 500 in a few months time....
Racing Teatray

Mrs RT's 500 looks like this inside:



She only washes (correction - I only wash it) at best once a month and it still looks clean and fresh inside. The trick is simply to use leather wipes on the steering wheel from time to time.

The red "Pop" cloth seats are a nice touch - they were a no-cost option and look (to our eyes) much fresher than the grey tweedy jobs that were standard on the Lounge.
Bob Sacamano

We had three 500s - a 1.2 Lounge in white with Ivory (definitely best colour combo), a 1.2 cabrio in silver grey with ivory interior and red roof, and a 1.2 cabrio in dark grey with red roof, black interior and red leather. I wasn't sure about the black interior at first but it grey on me. The ivory just looks more retro.
The 1.2s we had were fine and if you worked them like you should with an Italian car they felt quite nippy. I understand later models have been re-tuned to reduce emissions further and that has led to complaints about lack of oomph. I wasn't struck on the Twin-airs as they sounded rough and noisy to my ear, maybe I'd have got used to it.
Racing Teatray

The Twinair is definitely a bit of a buzzbox but it's such an endearing noise and enthusiastic engine that you quickly forgive it. Particularly because, if you have ever had any exposure to the old classic Nuova 500, it sounds remarkably, nostalgically similar.

My wife's comment when she first fired it up was (translated from Italian) "oh my god, it's like a tractor!"...but now having experienced the 1.2 as a courtesy car, she wouldn't swap in a month of Sundays. She said the 1.2 doesn't move by comparison. That's not surprising because a 1.2 has 69bhp and ambles to 60 in 12.6 secs whereas even the lower-powered Twinair has 85bhp and knocks 2 seconds off the 0-60 figure of the 1.2.

The other thing about the Twinair is that the VMAX is something like 108mph, which just makes it a more capable and relaxing motorway/dual carriageway companion than the 1.2, which is all done at 99mph. I know as I have tried both out on motorways at, ahem, "making progress" speed and whilst the 1.2 was better than you'd expect, the Twinair just has more high-speed flexibility and is less afflicted by the need to try and preserve your painstakingly accumulated speed.

There is also a higher-power Twinair with 105bhp, the stats for which are respectively 9.7 secs to 60 and 117mph VMAX, but I'd expect those to be out of budget.
Racing Teatray

Clarkson on the Twinair:

https://www.driving.co.uk/car-rev...review-fiat-500-twinair-2011/143/
Humphrey The Pug

gooner wrote:
Do you want me to chat with my brother and see if he can do a fellow car salesman a deal? He works for Fiat dealer near Swanwick. Can't promise anything of course but I can PM you his details.


Cheers Alex, it may be an idea; 4500 max, 1.2 or Twinair in a decent spec.

Had a look at a couple today, both were Twinair's, however they were an odd spec; no Blue&Me and a plastic steering wheel but both had sports seats in a faux leather; Tina is really after Bluetooth in her next car too.

The private one had 65k, was a really odd dark blue but it really worked well with the black alloys and externally looked great, however it was 6m past its last service (I did know it was overdue), the spare wheel well was wet and the boot carpet had mould underneath, the oil filler cap/dip stick I just couldn't undo, it is on a ratchet so not to overtighten, however it was also ratcheting to undo it and it would just spin round clicking, only 1 key and no parcel shelf

Already I felt it was overpriced slightly but with out the issues I found out about once there, I wasn't interested.

The second one ticked all the boxes initially, it was a trader however some thing just didn't stack up and it was top budget so it's a no for that one too.

Looking again tonight the prices are all over the place, it's really doing my head in.

I'm trying to steer her back towards a C1.
Racing Teatray

How is it possible that our immaculate 63-plate 14k mile Twinair Lounge is worth 6k tops in a private sale and a scant 1.5k less apparently lands you in something leggy and grotty? They've been making these since 2008 - surely there are some older well-loved examples around?

Maybe worth looking in london? Masses of the bloody things here, most low mileage and probably never seen real dirt in their lives.
Chris M Wanted a V-10

Try:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/class...ew&onesearchad=New&page=1

... or even:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/class...ew&onesearchad=New&page=1
If you scroll through the photos you can see one of the damage that allegedly wrote it off, and it appears to be very superficial so maybe worth a punt if you plan to keep it for a good few years

or:
http://usedcars.fiat.co.uk/fiat-5...ansmission%3Dmanual%26minPrice%3D
gonnabuildabuggy

Racing Teatray wrote:
How is it possible that our immaculate 63-plate 14k mile Twinair Lounge is worth 6k tops in a private sale and a scant 1.5k less apparently lands you in something leggy and grotty? They've been making these since 2008 - surely there are some older well-loved examples around?

Maybe worth looking in london? Masses of the bloody things here, most low mileage and probably never seen real dirt in their lives.


Finding a good car takes time, simple as that. I'm sure plenty of good examples around.

Did you talk to the sellers much before viewing? I've found that generally gives 90% of the picture so when you view you're mainly corroborating what they've told you.

I find something like PH has better quality Private Sellers, then AT before Ebay and Gumtree.

As you don't need a car until the MOT for your current one then I'd just take your time.

EDIT - number of previous owners and FSH (actually stamped on time, though not necessarily main dealer) is always the best indication of a cared for car I find. Not always but generally.
Roadrunner

Stretch the budget a bit? This is as mint as a very minty thing:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/class...e-to=5500&model=A2&page=1
TreVoR

The colour combination and interior screams OAP to me.
PG

TreVoR wrote:
The colour combination and interior screams OAP to me.


The colour and interior combo is probably why it has such a low mileage - nobody could be near it or in it without feeling sick.
Bryan M

Have you tried available car they have quite a few

http://www.availablecar.com/used-fiat/500_0.9-twinair-plus-3dr/409263
Humphrey The Pug

Roadrunner wrote:
Stretch the budgjet a bit? This is as mint as a very minty thing:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/class...e-to=5500&model=A2&page=1


Our neighbours carer has a black A2, Tina is always commenting on it, however as good as they apparently are, I've never got them or understood why they have such a cult following and why they command such strong money.

Anyway I've bought something now and all thanks to:

Chris M Wanted a V-10 wrote:
Try:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/class...ert/201702062044759?atmobcid=soc3


I've been up at Bruntingthorpe today so rang them, they are Gosport; 40 miles from home and 150 miles from Bruntingthorpe, I thought sod it nothing to lose, it's low miles, good spec and seemed to stack up, so I went after my course (took 3 hours to get there).

Got there at 19:00 (pitch black), however they had a good space and outside lights, all looked good, a couple of marks and a few scuffs on the alloys but nothing that you wouldn't expect to find and nothing that isn't easily sorted for a small amount; if we can be bothered!

Couple in their 60's, had had the car since new, came across as genuine and had replaced it recently with a new Yaris, 6 stamps in the service book (last one in Jan this year), short MOT but nothing obvious that would see it fail and no advisories from the last MOT (apart from a tyre).

Interior is spotless and everything works, offered 4100, with a view to pay 4200; he came back with 4200.

Hope to collect on Sunday, thanks Chris, I owe you one.

And the best thing; zero tax.
Big Blue

Nice. Enjoy it.
Racing Teatray

Great stuff! Welcome to the white Twinair club!
PhilD

Nice!

Second-best go faster stripes after Alpinas  
PhilD

and

Humphrey The Pug wrote:


Anyway I've bought something now and all thanks to:

Chris M Wanted a V-10 wrote:
Try:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/class...ert/201702062044759?atmobcid=soc3




Another white car Chris, wtf?!
Chris M Wanted a V-10

Humphrey The Pug wrote:

Chris M Wanted a V-10 wrote:
Try:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/class...ert/201702062044759?atmobcid=soc3

Hope to collect on Sunday, thanks Chris, I owe you one.
And the best thing; zero tax.


Wow ! I hope it turns out to be a "good 'un", and it's got a local (to Guildford) reg plate on it too.

Zero road tax is great, just had the renewal through for the Fiesta, no option to pay monthly or 6-monthly. I can pay the zero pounds by debit or credit card, but the latter will incur a charge of 2.50 IIRC ! I wonder if you have to give your bank details to pay 0 ?
gooner

That does look good and certainly well cared for by the sounds of it. Hope she likes it.
Chris M Wanted a V-10

PhilD wrote:

Another white car Chris, wtf?!


Bring it round to mum's house when I'm there and I'll give it a wash !
Humphrey The Pug

It's amazing how few Twinairs there are out there, I get the 1.2, however the Twinair it is a better engine than the 1.4, also the Twinairs out there don't seem to command any more money than 1.2's.

I wonder if people are scared of them as they are a bit different or it is the usual hang up about the engine size "0.9 oh no I couldn't possible have a car with an engine that small", we get it here with the 900cc TCe Clio.

The great benefit with the Twinair is zero road tax and no cambelt to worry about.
TreVoR

That looks great. Love the stripes.
Michael

What a result! Very nice indeed.
Giant

Very chic. No one has asked the critical question: is Mrs Humphrey happy with the choice, and that you've bought her car without her seeing it?
Humphrey The Pug

Giant wrote:
Very chic. No one has asked the critical question: is Mrs Humphrey happy with the choice, and that you've bought her car without her seeing it?


Yes she is very happy and trusts me to find the right car, she was flexible on colour as long as it wasn't silver, yellow or pink, or had a red cloth interior, she wasn't that fussed on spec or engine, she just wanted a Fiat 500 she kept sending me ads for Pop models with no A/C and plastic wheel trims, ok I'm not going to be driving it, however I want our money to go into a decent spec one, the Twinair was always at the top of my list, though I would have settled for a 1.2.

Anyway even though she was flexible on colour, what she really, really, really wanted was, white with an Italian flag stripe and Bluetooth; all bases covered!!
PG

Great result.

Are you going to keep it clean inside and out for her or allow it to become "used"?
Bob Sacamano

Lovely spec, they are surprisingly roomy compared to a MINI and as you say the boot is decent. We also bought the Italian flag badges for ours, although with the stripes that might be a bit overkill.
Humphrey The Pug

PG wrote:
Great result.

Are you going to keep it clean inside and out for her or allow it to become "used"?


Boot liner for the dogs has already been ordered, she has said it will be kept clean, I think it will be; the current car was a work horse and a tool and wasn't kept clean, this one will still be used for work, however it is a stylish car and one that I'm sure she will want to keep looking good and tidy.
Racing Teatray

Oddly enough, although my wife is Italian, she has resisted the temptation to add any national stripes or badges to her 500.

The Lounge is well worth having over the Pop and not just for the aircon/Bluetooth etc. I also particularly like the glass roof as a feature - makes the car nice and airy.
Humphrey The Pug

The only criticism I have with the Lounge is the standard check seats, experience from having a few used ones at work, has shown me that they are a bugger to clean and it is a struggle to see whether they are either clean or grubby and if you look at them long enough you get a bit of a headache!
Racing Teatray

That's why we have one with the optional Pop interior which my wife chose because she didn't like the checked seats and did want the red seats.
Giant

Very chic. No one has asked the critical question: is Mrs Humphrey happy with the choice, and that you've bought her car without her seeing it?
Roadrunner

You've done very there. Mrs Humph will be very pleased with that.
Boxer6

Giant wrote:
Very chic. No one has asked the critical question: is Mrs Humphrey happy with the choice, and that you've bought her car without her seeing it?


Is your phone/device of choice playing silly buggers? You posted this a few hours previously too!

I'm daft enough y'know, without stuff like this happening!    
JohnC

I like that and it covers all the bases being trendy, economical and in the right colour.
gonnabuildabuggy

That looks really nice and sounds like my kind of seller and car.

Glad the trip proved worthwhile.

There is probably money to made sourcing cars from Gosport, Eastbourne etc and selling them in Guildford?

I've been suprised by how many private cars a trader acquintance buys.
Humphrey The Pug

gonnabuildabuggy wrote:
That looks really nice and sounds like my kind of seller and car.

Glad the trip proved worthwhile.

There is probably money to made sourcing cars from Gosport, Eastbourne etc and selling them in Guildford?

I've been suprised by how many private cars a trader acquintance buys.


We were on the verge of dropping the 500 idea and going back to the C1 as there were no 500's out there at reasonable money/spec/mileage etc, then this one cropped up; thanks to Chris.

The guy was surprised that I came from Guildford to see it, but I explained the comedy pricing vs spec vs condition and mileage my end and he did agree that pricing in general was all over the show for 500's and it was difficult to gauge a fair asking price.

Given the crap that Tina was sending me on a daily basis and the ridiculous money being asked, I can imagine there are a fair few girls/women who see a cute 500 and will just buy it based on it being a 500 and nothing else, ending up with some over priced, basic tat, Tina did admit that she didn't have a clue what she was looking for apart from it being a nice car and colour.
Racing Teatray

Humphrey The Pug wrote:


Anyway even though she was flexible on colour, what she really, really, really wanted was, white with an Italian flag stripe and Bluetooth; all bases covered!!


It's always pleasing, when asked to find a used car for someone, to be able to find exactly what they want.

About 5 yrs ago, one of my elderly aunts rang me for help as she needed a new car after her Copen (I know) got written off by a bin lorry. She decided she wanted a 500C and her only requirements were that it be an automatic and have red leather seats.

Knock me down if, upon searching Autotrader, I didn't almost immediately find, within 40 mins drive of her house and in budget, a 1-owner 11k mile 59-plate 500C Lounge 1.4 automatic in red with red leather seats and the ivory ambience (a particularly girly and retro combination). She fell in love with it immediately and has been continuously thrilled with it ever since.
Roadsterstu

Great result, hope Tina is happy with it for many miles!
Dr. Hfuhruhurr

Nice work, Humphrey and Chris
Humphrey The Pug

Just got back from collecting it, I don't think I've ever seen Tina with such a large grin.

She loves the noise of the engine too, I did warn her that it is a bit more vocal to what she is used to and it has a thrum to it, which is all perfectly normal.

She is outside with the Blue&Me instructions trying to pair up her phone.
Racing Teatray

Congrats and pleased she likes it. I love the thrum - adds bags of character. Does her's have the built-in TomTom dock on top of the dash?

If it does, and you buy the B&M TomTom, you can do all the phoning via the nav, although to be fair the standard set-up works fine.
Giant

Brilliant, lots of good husband points for you then! And to think you were trying to push towards a Mii or C1!
Chris M Wanted a V-10

Giant wrote:
Brilliant, lots of good husband points for you then! And to think you were trying to push towards a Mii or C1!

+1, reading about the C1 made me try hard to find a suitable 500 for you !
Humphrey The Pug

Racing Teatray wrote:
Congrats and pleased she likes it. I love the thrum - adds bags of character. Does her's have the built-in TomTom dock on top of the dash?

If it does, and you buy the B&M TomTom, you can do all the phoning via the nav, although to be fair the standard set-up works fine.


No dock on the dash.

Bit of a first world issue, however it appears that the Bluetooth doesn't let you stream music from ones phone, not a major issue that a 2 AUX cable can't fix though.
Chris M Wanted a V-10

Humphrey The Pug wrote:

Bit of a first world issue, however it appears that the Bluetooth doesn't let you stream music from ones phone, not a major issue that a 2 AUX cable can't fix though.


A bit like a Captur with MediaNav, then !
Bob Sacamano

Humphrey The Pug wrote:
Racing Teatray wrote:
Congrats and pleased she likes it. I love the thrum - adds bags of character. Does her's have the built-in TomTom dock on top of the dash?

If it does, and you buy the B&M TomTom, you can do all the phoning via the nav, although to be fair the standard set-up works fine.


No dock on the dash.

Bit of a first world issue, however it appears that the Bluetooth doesn't let you stream music from ones phone, not a major issue that a 2 AUX cable can't fix though.


Yes, it won't stream from your phone.

IIRC the Blue & Me was developed by Microsoft and initially wouldn't play Apple files from iphones, only MP3s. That was sorted on later models.

We used to just transfer music onto a memory stick and plug it straight into the USB port.
PG

Is bluetooth music streaming really such a great thing?  

In the Jag I've got four methods of music transfer available - USB stick (never tried it); iPod dock via USB; AUX in; Bluetooth streaming and I'd say that the sound quality diminishes noticeably as you go to each of those last three. AUX in gives way better volume and depth than bluetooth streaming for example.
Racing Teatray

It works with an Apple cable into the USB dock just fine in ours.
Humphrey The Pug

The advantage with streaming via Bluetooth is, it's tidier, no cables getting in the way and to my untrained ear the sound is fine.
Martin

Bluetooth streaming isn't quite as good as connecting via a cable, but the diffeeenc end vey small (as long as volume is turned up on the phone) so for short journeys it's fine and still gives you album artwork. Plus I dont forget that my phone is in the storage bin when I leave the car...

The best way for me to connect and listen to music is via USB, using the Spotify BMW app.  There are apps for other music services, which I assume work in a similar way.

I downloaded music onto the built in HDD in the 520d, but haven't bothered in this car.
Racing Teatray

Must be different on mine. I really find the quality distinctly lower with streaming.
Martin

Mine has got Enhanced Bluetooth, maybe that makes a difference?

it used to be the only way to get Bluetooth streaming, but it was added to the standard system around the time I ordered my car. Despite it being 450,I left the option on the order because it gives you the option of a snap in adaptor in the armrest, full voice control (which I do use), allows you to connect 2 phones at the same time (really useful as I have a work and personal phone) and has an additional microphone for the passenger. I think it was the only way of getting album artwork as well, but that might not be the case now.

Edit: Thinking about it some more, im sure it was the only way of getting all the office functionality e.g. It reads out my text messages / emails.
Bob Sacamano

Racing Teatray wrote:
Must be different on mine. I really find the quality distinctly lower with streaming.


The quality is very good in mine but I do have my Spotify streaming quality set to the highest level.
Racing Teatray

Martin wrote:
Mine has got Enhanced Bluetooth, maybe that makes a difference?

it used to be the only way to get Bluetooth streaming, but it was added to the standard system around the time I ordered my car. Despite it being 450,I left the option on the order because it gives you the option of a snap in adaptor in the armrest, full voice control (which I do use), allows you to connect 2 phones at the same time (really useful as I have a work and personal phone) and has an additional microphone for the passenger. I think it was the only way of getting album artwork as well, but that might not be the case now.

Edit: Thinking about it some more, im sure it was the only way of getting all the office functionality e.g. It reads out my text messages / emails.


I don't have enhanced. I'd never use it, apart from the two phones thing and it's a very rare day that I need to make calls with my work phone from the car.

Bob Sacamano wrote:

The quality is very good in mine but I do have my Spotify streaming quality set to the highest level.


I don't have Spotify. Only Apple Music on trial because we bought a Sonos and frankly I am unlikely to keep it as I just never use it.
Humphrey The Pug

3.5mm AUX cable bought and being used, she is moaning about the car being dirty; well she did want white!!

Car goes in to Fiat Friday week for a new turbo, it was missed when a re-call went out for turbos going pop.

It is giving good fuel consumption, we don't know the figures but we do know they are better than her previous car, oh and I absolutely loved taxing it for a year; cost nil!!
BeN

Nice one Humph.

Do post pics!
Racing Teatray

When was that recall? I've not heard anything about new turbos? Is it only certain model years?

       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Your Motor Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum