Archive for The Motor Forum "We are mature men in the highest cadres of our careers"
 


       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Your Motor
TreVoR

Merely a matter of time........

......until the Mazda had a proper breakdown.  Something clutch related.  Biting point is on the floor and pedal needs considerable force to press so I suspect pressure plate failure or broken clutch fork rather than hydraulic problems.
Nice Guy Eddie

Bummer but what do you expect. I remember witnessing your full bore starts at Prescott!

Been a good car that, how long have you had it?
TreVoR

It's 10 years old, we've had it since January 2010 and it has never given us any issues besides regular maintenance. It has depreciated remarkably little in that time too.

It has only done 55k and it had 27k on it when we got it. I suspect sitting outside without moving for long periods has caused the issue.

It's going to get treated to a service as well.
gooner

TreVoR wrote:
It's 10 years old, we've had it since January 2010 and it has never given us any issues besides regular maintenance. It has depreciated remarkably little in that time too.

It has only done 55k and it had 27k on it when we got it. I suspect sitting outside without moving for long periods has caused the issue.

It's going to get treated to a service as well.


I doubt it's anywhere near as vulnerable to big bills as the other members of your fleet (even you can't be so unlucky as to require a replacement chassis for an MX5). Hopefully a good service will see it right.
PG

gooner wrote:
I doubt it's anywhere near as vulnerable to big bills as the other members of your fleet (even you can't be so unlucky as to require a replacement chassis for an MX5). Hopefully a good service will see it right.


That's jinxed it then.....  
Tim

Re: Merely a matter of time........

[quote="TreVoR:570874] Biting point is on the floor and pedal needs considerable force to press ........[/quote]

Those were the symptoms we had years ago when the clutch slave cylinder went on the Fiat.
Frank Bullitt

It's clearly a slow learner.

It's watched a succession of cars deficate themselves on your drive or be hauled home on the back of a low loader; smugly it has awaited the 'Elvis De Tomaso' moment to arrive, instead seeing them shipped off (it assumes to a scrap yard) only to return with a clean bill of overhaul, having had the thick end of £lots spent on them - even when they need taking away again (and again) they return and attention is lavished upon them.

'I want a piece of that' it thinks, but being a Mazda it doesn't collapse in a heap of rust or blow the crank out of the bottom of the engine, no, it does it politely with a perfectly serviceable part going 'pop'.

I bet it thinks there is a rebuild in the offing, or at very least a new paint job - I wouldn't like to be there when it sees that all it's getting is a new clutch and a dirty chamois run over it - it'll be so mad it might throw a squeaky lower-arm or a slightly rumbly rear bearing.
TreVoR

Garage reckon it's a partially seized master cylinder.  They don't reckon it's the slave as it isn't leaking. It's gone to a local MX-5 specialist.
PhilD

I'd be checking the chassis if I were you.
TreVoR

PhilD wrote:
I'd be checking the chassis if I were you.


Luckily it doesn't have one of those and I think Mazda fixed the rusty subframe issue by the NC.
Frank Bullitt

TreVoR wrote:
PhilD wrote:
I'd be checking the chassis if I were you.


Luckily it doesn't have one of those and I think Mazda fixed the rusty subframe issue by the NC.


They probably did but there is bound to be a Friday afternoon one and they usually end up on somebody's driveway
gonnabuildabuggy

TreVoR wrote:
Garage reckon it's a partially seized master cylinder.  They don't reckon it's the slave as it isn't leaking. It's gone to a local MX-5 specialist.


Clutch hydraulics was my first thought when I read your OP. Will be interested to see if that's the correct diagnosis.
Roadsterstu

This is merely a blip. You should be glad it isn't on the same scale as some of the other cars  
TreVoR

Car collected today.  Cost including a full service, second hand clutch master cylinder and fitting was £216.

The car has been given a general clean bill of health.  The subframes are quite corroded, but no more than any other 10 year old Mk3 that he sees.  It is easy to re-subframe in any case and not very costly.  Wait until it fails the MOT was the advice.
Tim

TreVoR wrote:
 It is easy to re-subframe in any case and not very costly.  


Does anyone apart from Mark believe this?  
PhilD

Tim wrote:
TreVoR wrote:
 It is easy to re-subframe in any case and not very costly.  


Does anyone apart from Mark believe this?  


Of course not, but until we hear otherwise from his therapist we just have to play along.
gonnabuildabuggy

TreVoR wrote:
Car collected today.  Cost including a full service, second hand clutch master cylinder and fitting was £216.

The car has been given a general clean bill of health.  The subframes are quite corroded, but no more than any other 10 year old Mk3 that he sees.  It is easy to re-subframe in any case and not very costly.  Wait until it fails the MOT was the advice.


That is quite scary, had thought MK3's escaped that problem.

Is it worth you waxoiling them? I waxoyled mine and the sills plus repaired the underseal as well a couple of years ago. Easy job once the car is in the air.
Frank Bullitt

Tim wrote:
TreVoR wrote:
 It is easy to re-subframe in any case and not very costly.  


Does anyone apart from Mark believe this?  


I think we've heard this before, and we all know where it ends  
TreVoR

gonnabuildabuggy wrote:
TreVoR wrote:
Car collected today.  Cost including a full service, second hand clutch master cylinder and fitting was £216.

The car has been given a general clean bill of health.  The subframes are quite corroded, but no more than any other 10 year old Mk3 that he sees.  It is easy to re-subframe in any case and not very costly.  Wait until it fails the MOT was the advice.


That is quite scary, had thought MK3's escaped that problem.

Is it worth you waxoiling them? I waxoyled mine and the sills plus repaired the underseal as well a couple of years ago. Easy job once the car is in the air.


I am tempted once the warmer weather appears.

       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Your Motor
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum