Archive for The Motor Forum "We are mature men in the highest cadres of our careers"
 


       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Classified Information
JohnC

Is this Good Value?

I got a phone call from a 530D owning client who no longer does big miles and wants something with a sense of occasion when he does drive.

He is currently looking at this and wanted to know if I thought it was good value:

http://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/M/4.4/N...238-3497049.aspx?srcmdc=se_na_re_

He is also contemplating an M4 or an E or C63 but I am finding few reasons to be negative about what is obviously his first choice, except for the fact that he could probably get a C63 or M4 which was about a year younger, for the same money.

Any thoughts?
Boxer6

All those cars are way out of my league, but - I'm not keen on the M4 looks or sound (to me, it sounds like a current F1 car, ie. like a bag of spanners in a washing machine) and E/C63's are, dare I say, a bit common now.

If he likes the GC, then why not? If that's the car, it's in probably the best colour and I do like those wheels. Can't really comment on value as it's not really a car I'd ever consider.

Is the 5er a Touring, because if he wants to give it away . . . .
JohnC

Boxer6 wrote:

Is the 5er a Touring, because if he wants to give it away . . . .


The 5 is a saloon but I think his newly married son might be getting it as his new family wagon!
Nice Guy Eddie

Looks rather spectacular. What can you get into one new for, 75kish?

I'd push to get the price to start with a 4, but might be a bit unrealistic.
JohnC

Nice Guy Eddie wrote:
Looks rather spectacular. What can you get into one new for, 75kish?

I'd push to get the price to start with a 4, but might be a bit unrealistic.


Probably 75K at a push for a new one.

I reckon from the exterior photos that the car probably came through a BMW UK dealer auction which usually means they have 5K across it at least, so some discount might be possible. The more I look at it the more I think it looks, as you said, spectacular.
Martin

That does look fantastic, I love the M6 GC.

I thinks the price is a bit too high, especially as it's the pre-facelift model.

There aren't any major styling changes (headlights look better) but the facelift model comes with Full Merino leather as standard, which makes quite a difference inside (5,650 option on a 2014 car!). My local dealer has one 12 months newer and with half the mileage for another 10k. I know that's a lot but it's the facelift model so has the full leather, but perhaps even more interesting, it has the competition pack (more power, sports exhaust etc) and a few other options.
PhilD

Martin wrote:
That does look fantastic, I love the M6 GC.


+1
gooner

Does look good value. If he can knock them down to below 50k then all the better.
JohnC

Martin wrote:
That does look fantastic, I love the M6 GC.

I thinks the price is a bit too high, especially as it's the pre-facelift model.

There aren't any major styling changes (headlights look better) but the facelift model comes with Full Merino leather as standard, which makes quite a difference inside (5,650 option on a 2014 car!). My local dealer has one 12 months newer and with half the mileage for another 10k. I know that's a lot but it's the facelift model so has the full leather, but perhaps even more interesting, it has the competition pack (more power, sports exhaust etc) and a few other options.


I do like the full leather option but I think my client is looking at closer to 50K than 60K. I think at the 60K+ he might start to question the sense of making such a purchase.

He also liked the colour of this one:

http://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/M/4.4/L...921-3497124.aspx?srcmdc=se_na_re_

but he thought it a bit pricey and was suspicious of such a shiny steering wheel at only 20,000 miles.
Andy C

I love these too, and this one is in my favourite colour

http://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/M/4.4/O...927-3497216.aspx?srcmdc=se_na_re_
Chris M Wanted a V-10

Much as car #1 (the GC) looks great, surely for a true "sense of occasion" when he travels he should be looking at something like a Bentley
Martin

There may be some around with full leather, but understand the budget problem.  The M6 gets leather on the dashboard anyway, the problem is that it's Dakota leather which looks very cheap next to the Merino on the seats, which is especially noticeable on the centre console.  It would bother me, but not enough to stop BMW buying one!

I suspect the competition pack is well worthwhile for the exhaust alone, I don't think the extra HP is all that necessary.
PhilD

Chris M Wanted a V-10 wrote:
Much as car #1 (the GC) looks great, surely for a true "sense of occasion" when he travels he should be looking at something like a Bentley


Which one falls within budget?
PG

I love that blue colour and the GC is the best looking BMW.

If you stick the blue one into webuyanycar, it gives 46,400. So he should start with a cheeky bid and go from there.
Giant

PG wrote:
I love that blue colour and the GC is the best looking BMW.


+1

Love the 6GC, and that's the best colour. Would far prefer that to a year newer M4, also I presume martins observations of quality and spec 3 vs 5 series equally applies to 4 vs 6.
JohnC

Giant wrote:
PG wrote:
I love that blue colour and the GC is the best looking BMW.


+1

Love the 6GC, and that's the best colour. Would far prefer that to a year newer M4, also I presume martins observations of quality and spec 3 vs 5 series equally applies to 4 vs 6.


The 6 series feels several degrees plusher than a 4 series especially with the higher centre tunnel which blends with the dash and all the leather. I very nearly went down the 6 series route instead of mine but at over 5 mtrs long, it was just a bit big for the places I go.
Martin

I was very tempted by a 6 GC as well, but the rear access was a bit tight, it wasn't quite spacious enough once inside and I was concerned about boot space as it needed to be the practical car.  Boring practical reasons I know, but my 14 year old has already passed 6 foot (size 11) and I'm sure my 10 year old will start to catch him up.  I think I'd make them squeeze in for an M6 GC.
Tim

At around 50k doesn't that car have a LOT of depreciating still to do?
Racing Teatray

Tim wrote:
At around 50k doesn't that car have a LOT of depreciating still to do?


Yes...but it is just so niiiiiiiiiiiice.... (where's a hypnotised rabbit emoticon when you need one)....
Boxer6

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i...tsH86pvg&ust=1470936295675275
JohnC

Tim wrote:
At around 50k doesn't that car have a LOT of depreciating still to do?


It does but I reckon it would still be worth mid 30Ks in 2 to 3 years which whilst still quite heavy depreciation, is far less than you would suffer on a new one.

I think decisions like this need man maths. It is much more of an emotional purchase than a logical one but at c5K depreciation a year it's hard to see where you would get a similar experience with a car still under warranty, tarmac melting performance and opulent luxury.
gooner

I prefer this one:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201606154949653
Racing Teatray

gooner wrote:
I prefer this one:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201606154949653


I prefer the look of the later impact-bumper E24s myself.

       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Classified Information
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum