Archive for The Motor Forum "We are mature men in the highest cadres of our careers"
 


       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> General
Martin

Great Location

Lindsay and her team have always been based in a satellite office, but with some restructuring and general growth, they were starting to run out of space.  As she heads up their indirect procurement function she was given the job of finding somewhere, although her boss took a keen interest and that helped when it came to the budget as he decided he wanted an office in the new site as well.

They've just moved into a place called Colworth House, which has been owned by Unilever for a number of years, but as they no longer need the space they are letting parts of it out.  They have moved into the original building which has just been sympathetically refurbished, so it's a great space with a nice view,  but it's the facilities and location that really stand out.  It's got all the things you'd get in a large city office (gym, different restaurants, coffee shop etc) but is out in the countryside so she can go for a run in the grounds or use the gym before work, go for a walk at lunchtime, it's a bit like a fancy holiday camp!  

The only downside is that it's not really in cycling distance like the last place.  It's not he distance, we regularly ride further and she is in training for a marathon, it's the roads that aren't ideal / particularly safe.  It's only 15mins from home, so could be a lot worse.

It puts my office to shame.




http://www.colworthpark.com/colworth-house/
PG

Re: Great Location

Martin wrote:
It puts my office to shame.


That's not an office. It's a stately home. Looks bloody amazing.

Are Amazon into offices. How passe. Don't you just have a desk in a quiet corner of the warehouse?  
Humphrey The Pug

Similar to our place then!!
Racing Teatray

Re: Great Location

PG wrote:
Martin wrote:
It puts my office to shame.


That's not an office. It's a stately home. Looks bloody amazing.

Are Amazon into offices. How passe. Don't you just have a desk in a quiet corner of the warehouse?  


Yes. Their London mother ship is next to ours. Brand-spanking-new and rather fancy.

That looks jolly nice!
Martin

I don't work directly for Amazon and aren't even based in our Head Office.  My office is just off the general office in a warehouse in Daventry, a long long way from being fancy in any way but it's my own space which is a new experience.

Racing, I was in their offices at 60 Holborn Viaduct a couple of weeks ago.  Which side are you based?   It's a very relaxed atmosphere as you'd expect, even more so on 'Thirsty Thursday', I came out of a meeting room at 6pm to the sound of dance music and people drinking beer, wine etc!

Their offices in Luxembourg are very nice, similar modern look but in a lovely area.
Frank Bullitt

The set up is normally popular with small businesses, she must work for a very 'satellite' bit! I can imagine the cost per ft2 and it won't be the cheapest way to provide an office but does reduce some of the common costs.

It's a nice part of the world
Martin

I think here are only 30 or so of them moving, so not a big team and it should only be for 12 months as its a large project that's taking up office space.  I bet they will be there for longer
JohnC

What a wonderful looking building. Lucky Lindsay.
Racing Teatray

Martin wrote:
I don't work directly for Amazon and aren't even based in our Head Office.  My office is just off the general office in a warehouse in Daventry, a long long way from being fancy in any way but it's my own space which is a new experience.

Racing, I was in their offices at 60 Holborn Viaduct a couple of weeks ago.  Which side are you based?   It's a very relaxed atmosphere as you'd expect, even more so on 'Thirsty Thursday', I came out of a meeting room at 6pm to the sound of dance music and people drinking beer, wine etc!

Their offices in Luxembourg are very nice, similar modern look but in a lovely area.


Our London HQ is on the same side of the road on the other end of the bridge (no.50) if that makes sense, and our second building (no.21) is bang opposite on the other side of the road. Then we have a third down on Farringdon road... In fact our HQ used to be on the Amazon site before moving to our current HQ in I think 2003. Our old building was then eventually demolished and the Amazon one went up in its place.
Martin

I know exactly where you mean.  I thought it was a nice area to work and was disappointed that I had to walk straight to the station to catch my train, as I passed many bars with people outside in the sunshine having a beer.
Roadsterstu

Rather a contrast to the vile office I work in/out of, which is comfortably the worst I have known in over 18 years!
Big Blue

Nice. I like the idea of an office like that but would miss wandering about town at Lunchtime. I've had jobs in business parks before and just think you're trapped there for the day: I'm not dedicated enough for that; a trip to the club at lunchtime or to meet someone for a coffee in non-office surroundings is a part of my day.
Grampa

Re: Great Location

Martin wrote:
The only downside is that it's not really in cycling distance


Presumably there's one more downside - that she has to work for some of the time she's there?  

Big Blue wrote:
Nice. I like the idea of an office like that but would miss wandering about town at Lunchtime. I've had jobs in business parks before and just think you're trapped there for the day: I'm not dedicated enough for that; a trip to the club at lunchtime or to meet someone for a coffee in non-office surroundings is a part of my day.


Same here, except I like to go the beach for a catch up with people (just who happens to be there, no arranged meetings) and a tea etc

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/57/196164856_826b41b7aa_z.jpg?zz=1
gonnabuildabuggy

That is a fantastic location! I like mine for being right in the middle of town but still in an old building, beats the days of being right in the middle of MK.
Richard (ex-MB)

I'm currently working a few miles down the road from there. My employer rents the land from Unilever for farming. I imagine the smell can be a bit unpleasant when we are spraying digestate on the fields!
Frank Bullitt

We look after a team based in a lovely location on the former RAF Chicksands site but for a couple of weeks in th Autumn when the farmer next door pulls his onions...pheeeeeewww!
Martin

First one in this morning.....

Roadsterstu

Didn't cycle in then?
Martin

It was hard enough for her getting up at 6am!  She was in early to go to the gym, so excercise is covered for the day.
Roadsterstu

Martin wrote:
It was hard enough for her getting up at 6am!  She was in early to go to the gym, so excercise is covered for the day.


That in itself is impressive and I'm certainly in no position to criticise.
Frank Bullitt

Roadsterstu wrote:
Martin wrote:
It was hard enough for her getting up at 6am!  She was in early to go to the gym, so excercise is covered for the day.


That in itself is impressive and I'm certainly in no position to criticise.


I get to the gym for 6 for the same reason - by 7:10, I'm done for the day.

       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> General
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum