Archive for The Motor Forum "We are mature men in the highest cadres of our careers"
 


       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> The Lounge
Bob Sacamano

Fitted kitchens

I know this is probably a long shot, but does anyone know where I can get a good, cheap, fitted kitchen?
Martin



I do, but it's not the company that's sponsoring this forum!!
Frank Bullitt

I'm not sure, but on a limited-use forum with few active members there is no doubt that somebody would spend the time and effort to make sure we all find out.

Anyway, if we wanted a good value fitted kitchen (as opposed to a cheap one) we probably know where to go...







...B&Q

Martin

Now that's not very nice and according to independent surveys, you're wrong!    

You won't get something like this in the orange sheds!  

And if you're an older / more traditional forum member, then don't worry, we can cater for you as well.....



PhilD

Martin wrote:
Now that's not very nice and according to independent surveys, you're wrong!    

You won't get something like this in the orange sheds!  

And if you're an older / more traditional forum member, then don't worry, we can cater for you as well.....





I can't see any pics, anyone know how to turn the shite blocker off on a PC?


Martin

PhilD wrote:
Martin wrote:
Now that's not very nice and according to independent surveys, you're wrong!    

You won't get something like this in the orange sheds!  

And if you're an older / more traditional forum member, then don't worry, we can cater for you as well.....





I can't see any pics, anyone know how to turn the shite blocker off on a PC?




Don't do that, you'll lose most of your posts!    
PhilD

Martin wrote:
PhilD wrote:
Martin wrote:
Now that's not very nice and according to independent surveys, you're wrong!    

You won't get something like this in the orange sheds!  

And if you're an older / more traditional forum member, then don't worry, we can cater for you as well.....





I can't see any pics, anyone know how to turn the shite blocker off on a PC?




Don't do that, you'll lose most of your posts!    


touche!  
Boxer6

PhilD wrote:
Martin wrote:
PhilD wrote:
Martin wrote:
Now that's not very nice and according to independent surveys, you're wrong!    

You won't get something like this in the orange sheds!  

And if you're an older / more traditional forum member, then don't worry, we can cater for you as well.....





I can't see any pics, anyone know how to turn the shite blocker off on a PC?




Don't do that, you'll lose most of your posts!    


touche!  


Nice one Martin!

Sadly, they're not showing on mine either (Mac)
Martin

PhilD wrote:


touche!  


 

Martin

They were picture taken of our kitchens in store, but might not show because their on our internal social network....

These are some examples.....just because you asked!  







http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/...s.html&int_cmp=kitchens_odina[img][/img]
Nice Guy Eddie

Its the pricing when shopping for Kitchens I can't stand. Last time I bought a kitchen it was from Magnet which had as an offer 50% off plus another 10%. I then managed to get a further 8% off so it seems that unless your not embarrassed with your initial offer then your not bargaining hard enough.
Frank Bullitt

Rio Oak Provence?

Does the pope shit in the woods and can anyone hear him?

That's a scatter gun approach to marketing if there ever was one...
Martin

Frank Bullitt wrote:
Rio Oak Provence?

Does the pope shit in the woods and can anyone hear him?

That's a scatter gun approach to marketing if there ever was one...


That's marketing for you!

There is always a bit extra you can shave off no matter what the headline discount is. Some retailers will buy market share by making no money, but we're not in that game. Our market share is up year on year, but its through quality and service!  
TreVoR

I may be interested in one actually.  We are looking to get the apartment in Mallorca kitchen refurbished.  The cost/quality out there is nothing to write home about.

Would you ship a kitchen to an international movers as it is cheaper to rent some truck space than buy a decent one over there?
Roadrunner

I like the red and white ones above. They remind me of the kitchens my parents were looking at in the '70s, but with a modern twist.
Martin

TreVoR wrote:
I may be interested in one actually.  We are looking to get the apartment in Mallorca kitchen refurbished.  The cost/quality out there is nothing to write home about.

Would you ship a kitchen to an international movers as it is cheaper to rent some truck space than buy a decent one over there?


I can't see why not. We've delivered to the docks before now, although that wasn't a kitchen.

I can find out if you want me to.
TreVoR

Martin wrote:
TreVoR wrote:
I may be interested in one actually.  We are looking to get the apartment in Mallorca kitchen refurbished.  The cost/quality out there is nothing to write home about.

Would you ship a kitchen to an international movers as it is cheaper to rent some truck space than buy a decent one over there?


I can't see why not. We've delivered to the docks before now, although that wasn't a kitchen.

I can find out if you want me to.


I need to check the depth of the wall cabinets first but it would be useful to know.

The kitchen is tiny and one run of floor cabinets will have to be wall cabinets with feet attached.  I only have 340mm to work with depth wise.
Martin

I've spoken to Home Delivery this morning and we'll deliver to any vaild UK address as long as there is somebody there who you've authorised to sign for it.
TreVoR

Martin wrote:
I've spoken to Home Delivery this morning and we'll deliver to any vaild UK address as long as there is somebody there who you've authorised to sign for it.


Thanks for that. I can add Homebase to the possible list.
Martin

TreVoR wrote:
Martin wrote:
I've spoken to Home Delivery this morning and we'll deliver to any vaild UK address as long as there is somebody there who you've authorised to sign for it.


Thanks for that. If I do decide to buy a kitchen or bathroom, I will get it from Homebase.


FYP  
Big Blue

What I'm (still) struggling to comprehend is how bad must a spambot software programme be to spam kitchens to a forum called the motor forum?  I'd be suing the software company for all those lost leads for not spamming the Homes and Gardens forum.
gonnabuildabuggy

Nice Guy Eddie wrote:
Its the pricing when shopping for Kitchens I can't stand. Last time I bought a kitchen it was from Magnet which had as an offer 50% off plus another 10%. I then managed to get a further 8% off so it seems that unless your not embarrassed with your initial offer then your not bargaining hard enough.


Don't try buying Double Glazing or Guttering from one of the nationals then.

IIRC we got it down to about 1/3rd (ie. 75% off ish) of the initial price and that was just with then lowering the price as we were showing we were patently not interested. Who knows what was negotiable but given their approach to pricing (and ripping people off) then I wasn't going to do business with them.

I wonder how many people pay without any real negotiation (though the prices do get an intial 20% automatic discount for "this months special" "reference home" etc.

I've a book called "Priceless" recommended reading for anyone who ever spends money, ever.
Blarno

My kitchen is a B+Q/Ikea hybrid - B+Q cupboards, Ikea worktops, all done by my fair hands and I think it looks damn good. Or it will when I've finished tiling, painting and fitting the ceiling.
Big Blue

We're looking at doing the kitchen/dining area this year, which involves knocking a wall down, rerouting some electrics, moving (probably replacing) 2 radiators, changing floor levels in 25% of the space (don't ask!), moving (and probably replacing) the Honeywell controller, rerouting the plumbing elements and decorating the entire space (7m x 5½m) including new ceiling lighting layout, flooring and walls.

Then maybe we'll put some kitchen units in (sorry Martin, we've chosen Schmidt units with Gorenje appliances already ).

I'm looking forward to the project and want to get the demo and decs done asap but W2.0 is more reserved than I am. Plus she can't make up her mind on red, white and black or Zebrano wood or Walnut everywhere.
Martin

Big Blue wrote:
Then maybe we'll put some kitchen units in (sorry Martin, we've chosen Schmidt units with Gorenje appliances already ).


That's OK, my parents recently had an expensive kitched installed (also with Gorenje appliances as it happens) and I've forgiven them!  
Mark

Martin wrote:
Big Blue wrote:
Then maybe we'll put some kitchen units in (sorry Martin, we've chosen Schmidt units with Gorenje appliances already ).


That's OK, my parents recently had an expensive kitched installed (also with Gorenje appliances as it happens) and I've forgiven them!  


Funny how Gorenje appliances are now considered quality/cool (or whatever). A couple of years ago they were widely regarded as a cheap, Eastern European also-ran.
gonnabuildabuggy

Mark wrote:
Martin wrote:
Big Blue wrote:
Then maybe we'll put some kitchen units in (sorry Martin, we've chosen Schmidt units with Gorenje appliances already ).


That's OK, my parents recently had an expensive kitched installed (also with Gorenje appliances as it happens) and I've forgiven them!  


Funny how Gorenje appliances are now considered quality/cool (or whatever). A couple of years ago they were widely regarded as a cheap, Eastern European also-ran.


That's marketing for you!
Big Blue

I reckon it's long-warranty backed reliability and the fact that the factory in Slovenia is basically an ex-Siemens facility with different end stickers. We have the Gorenje retro fridge that looks like the SMEG one. Aside from the fact that it doesn't say "smeg" on the front of it (something I've been trying to explain is a problem to W2.0 for some time) it has a larger capacity and was £200 less. A lot of those SMEG ones are going pop at 2-3 years so I'll keep you posted on the Gorenje one.
gonnabuildabuggy

Big Blue wrote:
I reckon it's long-warranty backed reliability and the fact that the factory in Slovenia is basically an ex-Siemens facility with different end stickers. We have the Gorenje retro fridge that looks like the SMEG one. Aside from the fact that it doesn't say "smeg" on the front of it (something I've been trying to explain is a problem to W2.0 for some time) it has a larger capacity and was £200 less. A lot of those SMEG ones are going pop at 2-3 years so I'll keep you posted on the Gorenje one.


Interesting. Sounds like a quality product that was under-valued initially perhaps. I'm guessing the warranties might have swayed people's opinions (a bit like Kia in the UK)
Martin

I think that's what helped sway my parents, along with the quality, because they hadn't heard of the brand before they started looking.  

The ovens, hob and warming drawers are AEG though iirc.
Mark

Big Blue wrote:
I reckon it's long-warranty backed reliability and the fact that the factory in Slovenia is basically an ex-Siemens facility with different end stickers. We have the Gorenje retro fridge that looks like the SMEG one. Aside from the fact that it doesn't say "smeg" on the front of it (something I've been trying to explain is a problem to W2.0 for some time) it has a larger capacity and was £200 less. A lot of those SMEG ones are going pop at 2-3 years so I'll keep you posted on the Gorenje one.


Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking them - I have an integrated/enclosed fridge-freezer unit (which is also a funny size) and the 18 month Whirlpool that was in there started to drink its own compressor oil. I had a Gorenje installed and it has been great (touch wood!).
gonnabuildabuggy

When we bought our kitchen we went for fairly unbranded appliances except the Dishwasher which was Bosch. The first one to pack up....the Dishwasher.
Martin

Our landlord has replaced the Bosch integrated freezer (latest 5 years) with a Beko from Boots.  It's crap.  Twice as loud as the Bosch, seems to run for much longer and started to frost up within a week.

Our Dishwasher is a Bosch and it's brilliant, much better than the Hotpoint Ultima I had in the old house.
gonnabuildabuggy

Martin wrote:
Our landlord has replaced the Bosch integrated freezer (latest 5 years) with a Beko from Boots.  It's crap.  Twice as loud as the Bosch, seems to run for much longer and started to frost up within a week.

Our Dishwasher is a Bosch and it's brilliant, much better than the Hotpoint Ultima I had in the old house.


Ours is useless, we had a Bosch before and this one is far poorer at drying, though I'm sure a lot better in terms of energy performance rating!
martinwilbert

I liked the Rio Oak Provence its decent and simple. I am planning to remodel my kitchen and from this post i got great ideas for my remodeling process. :)
simonp

There's an idea, I might put my entire address including postcode in my location details...
michelleronald

We have recently remodeled our kitchen with Spicy fuckpigs and it looks amazing with great finishing.


Bellend.
Martin



God that's awful!!  Is this a delayed post from the 80s?
Michael

That is a horrible kitchen - it looks like ours!
simonp

Why the bowl full of tennis balls, michelle?
Big Blue

simonp wrote:
Why the bowl full of tennis balls, michelle?


They're for firing across the room from an amply-sized pussy.
Giant

Big Blue wrote:
simonp wrote:
Why the bowl full of tennis balls, michelle?


They're for firing across the room from an amply-sized pussy.


Isnt it normally pingpong balls for that, The friction burns would be nasty!
Big Blue

Giant wrote:
Big Blue wrote:
simonp wrote:
Why the bowl full of tennis balls, michelle?


They're for firing across the room from an amply-sized pussy.


Isnt it normally pingpong balls for that, The friction burns would be nasty!


I'm sure she's wet and wide enough for tennis balls.

       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> The Lounge
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum