Archive for The Motor Forum "We are mature men in the highest cadres of our careers"
 


       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Racing Posts
Dr. Hfuhruhurr

F1 Game 2014 - China

Same deal as before - top ten places, pole and fastest lapper.

Bonus question: fastest race lap time (one point for the closest)

Deadline: Friday 18 April 2359 GMT

All results and scores will be published after the Ricciardo appeal on April 14
Big TC

Pole: Hamilton
F/L: Rosberg
Bonus: 1:39.404

1. Hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Button
4. Vettel
5. Bottas
6. Raikkonen
7. Massa
8. Hulkenburg
9. Ricciardo
10. Perez
Eff One

Pole: Hamilton
F/L: Rosberg
Bonus: 1:38.909

1. Rosberg
2. Hamilton
3. Bottas
4. Vettel
5. Ricciardo
6. Massa
7. Alonso
8. Hulkenburg
9. Kvyat
10. Perez
Scouse

Pole: Hamilton
F/L: Rosberg
Bonus: 1.38.544

1: Hamilton
2: Rosberg
3: Button
4: Alonso
5: Vettel
6: Massa
7: Raikonen
8: Hulkenberg
9: Ricciardo
10: Kvyat
JohnC

Pole: Hamilton
F/L: Hamilton
Bonus: 1:39.013

1. Rosberg
2. Hamilton
3. Vettel
4. Alonso
5. Ricciardo
6. Perez
7. Magnussen  
8. Hulkenburg
9. Bottas
10. Massa
Dr. Hfuhruhurr

Pole Hamilton
Lap Hamilton
Bonus 1:38.752

1 Hamilton
2 Rosberg
3 Vettel
4 Ricciardo
5 Alonso
6 Raikkonen
7 Button
8 Magnusson
9 Bottas
10 Massa
BeN

Pole: Rosberg
Fastest: Hamilton
Bonus: Pass

1) Rosberg
2) Hamilton
3) Alonso
4) Ricciardo
5) Button
6) Bottas
7) Vettel
8) Massa
9) Hulkenberg
10) Perez
Chocy Rocky

Pole: Rosberg
Fastest: Rosberg
Bonus: 1.36.969

1. Rosberg
2. Alonso
3. Raikkonen
4. Ricciardo
5. Button
6. Massa
7. Hulkenberg
8. Bottas
9. Magnussen
10. Perez
Humphrey The Pug

Pole: Hamilton
F/L: Rosberg
Bonus: 1.36.45

1. Hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Alonso
4. Button
5. Raikkonen
6. Perez
7. Ricciardo
8. Massa
9. Magnussen
10. Bottas.
gooner

1. Rosberg
2. Hamilton
3. Massa
4. Bottas
5. Vettel
6. Magnussen
7. Alonso
8. Button
9. Raikkonen
10. Button

Pole Rosberg
F/L Massa
Bonus. 1m 37.5s.
Skyhook

Pole: Hamilton
Fastest lap: Rosberg
Bonus: 1 minute 37.2 seconds

1st: Hamilton
2nd: Rosberg
3rd: Vettel
4th: Ricciardo
5th: Magnussen
6th: Alonso
7th: Massa
8th: Button
9th: Bottas
10th: Raikkonen
Chris M Wanted a V-10

Pole: Hamilton
F/Lap: Rosberg
Bonus: 1:39:64

1. Hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Alonso
4. Ricciardo
5. Massa
6. Vettel
7. Button
8. Bottas
9. Magnusson
10. Perez
Mrs Skyhook

Pole Hamilton
FL Hamilton
Bonus 1.36.78

1 Hamilton
2 Rosberg
3 Ricciardo
4 Magnussen
5 Alonso
6 Massa
7 Vettel
8 Bottas
9 Hulkenberg
10 Button
Nice Guy Eddie

Pole hamilton
fl hamilton
bonus 1.37.345

1. Hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Hulkenberg
4. Vettel
5. Riccardo
6. Perez
7. Magnussen
8. Button
9. Bottas
10. Massa
PhilD

Pole: Ham
FL: Ham
Bonus: 1.37.23

1-Hamilton
2-Vettel
3-Rosberg
4-Ricciardo
5-Alonso
6-Button
7-Kimi
8-Bottas
9-Magnussen
10-Hulkenberg
the other ct

Pole: Rosberg
F/L: Hamilton
Bonus: 1:37.755

1. Hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Alonso
4. Ricciardo
5. Massa
6. Hulkenberg
7. Raikkonen
8. Bottas
9. Button
10. Magnussen
Sav

Pole: Rosberg
Fastest lap: Hamilton
Bonus: 1:40.800

1. Hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Ricciardo
4. Massa
5. Vettel
6. Alonso
7. Hulkenberg
8. Button
9. Raikkonen
10. Magnussen
PhilD

Watching the highlights I noticed a lot of negative camber on all the cars. Can't recall seeing this on a F1 car before, what's going on?
Tim

It's nothing new - maybe you've been distracted/sleeping and missed it before?
PhilD

Tim wrote:
It's nothing new - maybe you've been distracted/sleeping and missed it before?


sleeping is a possibility! I know that some camber is normal but it really stood out.
Twelfth Monkey

Perhaps you were distracted by those pesky 'interesting' sounds the cars used to make?

Rather deja vu in terms of Alonso making a great start and finishing further up than the car warrants, but with a different team heading off into the distance.
Big Blue

Twelfth Monkey wrote:

Rather deja vu in terms of Alonso making a great start and finishing further up than the car warrants, but with a different team heading off into the distance.


+1

If anyone doubts he is the best driver out there they really have no clue.

I forgot to enter this race due to being on holiday in France. I'll live.....
Bob Sacamano

How the hell can Hamilton win three GPs in a row and not be leading the Championship?

Great to see Vettel getting his arse handed to him by another Aussie.
BeN

Bob Sacamano wrote:
How the hell can Hamilton win three GPs in a row and not be leading the Championship?


Because he retired in Aussie (where Rosberg won) and Rosberg has been following Lewis closely in second place in the subsequent three races. The 25 point head start helped Rosberg thus far.

Lewis will take the lead if he wins the next race though, regardless of Nico's position.
PhilD

BeN wrote:
Bob Sacamano wrote:
How the hell can Hamilton win three GPs in a row and not be leading the Championship?


Because he retired in Aussie (where Rosberg won) and Rosberg has been following Lewis closely in second place in the subsequent three races. The 25 point head start helped Rosberg thus far.

Lewis will take the lead if he wins the next race though, regardless of Nico's position.


Factually spot on BeN but I think Bob was asking a rhetorical question!
Big Blue

I think what Bob is referring to is that previously it would have been:

0+9+9+9 = 27
9+6+6+6 = 27
as was the case from 1961 - 1990

or even

0+10+10+10 = 30
10+6+6+6 = 28
as was the case from '91 - '02

Obviously after the Schumacher domination years we had:

0+10+10+10 = 30
10+8+8+8 = 34

and now the motoGP inspired

0+25+25+25 = 75
25+18+18+18 = 79.

The latter 2 are trying to reward consistency but fail to accept that F1 cars are now desperately more reliable so we really need a return to winner takes more before someone wins the title without ever winning a race.
Nice Guy Eddie

I'm sure there was a series or formula at one time where you could bin your worst 2 results?

Alonso's good no doubt but I think Hamilton has to be his equal, I'd love to see those 2 in equal machinery again.

Whats happened to Raikonnen this season, it could be his last season if he doesn't step it up soon. I doubt he wants to be Alonso's whipping boy next year.
Tim

Nice Guy Eddie wrote:
I'm sure there was a series or formula at one time where you could bin your worst 2 results?


F1 used to dropped scores in the early 80s didn't it?
Nice Guy Eddie

Rings a bell, I was thinking something like WTCC until very recently.
Bob Sacamano

Big Blue wrote:
I think what Bob is referring to is that previously it would have been:

0+9+9+9 = 27
9+6+6+6 = 26
as was the case from 1961 - 1990

or even

0+10+10+10 = 30
10+6+6+6 = 28
as was the case from '91 - '02

Obviously after the Schumacher domination years we had:

0+10+10+10 = 30
10+8+8+8 = 34

and now the motoGP inspired

0+25+25+25 = 75
25+18+18+18 = 79.

The latter 2 are trying to reward consistency but fail to accept that F1 cars are now desperately more reliable so we really need a return to winner takes more before someone wins the title without ever winning a race.


It has to be wrong if the outright winner of 3 GPs out of 4 is still behind someone who has won only 1 out of 4. It sticks out like a sore thumb that there's a problem with the scoring.
Big Blue

Apologies for my piss-poor arithmetic in my post (9+6+6+6 is 27 )

I reckon it should be 20, 12, 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 so a win is win. I also reckon there should be a worst one or maybe two scores dropped (as there used to be) so a mechanical failure or a Roman Gros-error-Belgium-jean / Pastor Maldo-crash-ding-ado can be discounted.
Twelfth Monkey

The new scoring system clearly doesn't reward as it should, and I take it the double points Vettelitis antidote is still in place even though the disease is in remission...
PhilD

Twelfth Monkey wrote:
The new scoring system clearly doesn't reward as it should, and I take it the double points Vettelitis antidote is still in place even though the disease is in remission...


would be funny if Vettel won the title with the double points races!
Humphrey The Pug

PhilD wrote:
Twelfth Monkey wrote:
The new scoring system clearly doesn't reward as it should, and I take it the double points Vettelitis antidote is still in place even though the disease is in remission...


would be funny if Vettel won the title with the double points races!


Can you imagine the uproar; this whole double points thing is shit in the extreme and to think Bernie wanted the last three races to be double points!!
Twelfth Monkey

PhilD wrote:
Twelfth Monkey wrote:
The new scoring system clearly doesn't reward as it should, and I take it the double points Vettelitis antidote is still in place even though the disease is in remission...


would be funny if Vettel won the title with the double points races!


No!
Tim

Big Blue wrote:
Apologies for my piss-poor arithmetic in my post (9+6+6+6 is 27 )

I reckon it should be 20, 12, 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 so a win is win. I also reckon there should be a worst one or maybe two scores dropped (as there used to be) so a mechanical failure or a Roman Gros-error-Belgium-jean / Pastor Maldo-crash-ding-ado can be discounted.


I think they should add a point for pole and one for fastest lap too.
Chris M Wanted a V-10

Tim wrote:
I think they should add a point for pole and one for fastest lap too.

+1
Eff One

Humphrey The Pug wrote:
Can you imagine the uproar; this whole double points thing is shit in the extreme and to think Bernie wanted the last three races to be double points!!


In the WEC, Le Mans is worth double points which is reasonable, since it's a 24 hour race and all the others (I think) are 6 hours.

If they want to award double points for the F1 finale they should make it tougher on man and machine. Turn qualy into a one hour race with grid positions determined by reverse championship order; the finishing order sets the grid for the GP.
Big Blue

The double points thing is seriously misguided shite.

At the end of the season all the cars are effectively in some solid-state-status, in that that there are not many new bits, step changes etc. (that R&D is all being piled into the next-year car) so the most likely scenario is that the championship leading car will romp off and the points leader will likely just look like even more of a winner.
PhilD

Big Blue wrote:
The double points thing is seriously misguided shite.

At the end of the season all the cars are effectively in some solid-state-status, in that that there are not many new bits, step changes etc. (that R&D is all being piled into the next-year car) so the most likely scenario is that the championship leading car will romp off and the points leader will likely just look like even more of a winner.


Unless... one team has a particular advantage which establishes a big lead and then the other teams play catch up because it is something they can copy and it fits/suits their car (Iím thinking of Buttons championship year here). As the Mercs have a massive engine advantage (and according to this itís about the relationship between the engine and the energy recovery systems http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/26946444 ) and if (I know itís a big if) the others can copy or at least incorporate part of this then it could happen again. I reckon (based on not a lot) that the Red Bulls remain the best chassis so if they can get more out of the engine I can see Vettel starting to claw back . Letís hope De Ham has a big enough lead by then.
Big Blue

PhilD wrote:
I reckon (based on not a lot) that the Red Bulls remain the best chassis so if they can get more out of the engine I can see Vettel starting to claw back . Letís hope De Ham has a big enough lead by then.


No, let's hope Alonso is doing the catching up
Tim

PhilD wrote:
I reckon (based on not a lot) that the Red Bulls remain the best chassis so if they can get more out of the engine I can see Vettel starting to claw back . Letís hope De Ham has a big enough lead by then.


On current performance if the Red Bulls do get better it will be Ricciardo catching Da Ham, not Vettel.
Eff One

Some interesting trackside observations from the Autosport scribblers suggest that Vettel is still trying to drive as if he has an exhaust-blown diffuser, ie with the rear nailed to the road under braking and turn-in. He was better than anyone at extracting pace from that technology.

But now the car is much more unstable on turn-in, and his advantage is gone. Ricciardo's technique is straight out of the textbook (and a joy to behold) and better suited to the RB10. Vettel will figure it out though, as will Raikkonen.
Scouse

PhilD wrote:
Big Blue wrote:
The double points thing is seriously misguided shite.

At the end of the season all the cars are effectively in some solid-state-status, in that that there are not many new bits, step changes etc. (that R&D is all being piled into the next-year car) so the most likely scenario is that the championship leading car will romp off and the points leader will likely just look like even more of a winner.


Unless... one team has a particular advantage which establishes a big lead and then the other teams play catch up because it is something they can copy and it fits/suits their car (Iím thinking of Buttons championship year here). As the Mercs have a massive engine advantage (and according to this itís about the relationship between the engine and the energy recovery systems http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/26946444 ) and if (I know itís a big if) the others can copy or at least incorporate part of this then it could happen again. I reckon (based on not a lot) that the Red Bulls remain the best chassis so if they can get more out of the engine I can see Vettel starting to claw back . Letís hope De Ham has a big enough lead by then.


Speaking or Mercedes' engine, did anyone see that piece on it the other week? Apparently the turbine housing is at the back of the engine near the exhaust and the compressor housing is at the front away from the extreme heat so doing away with the need for a bigger intercooler. A brilliant piece of design & packaging.
Big Blue

Scouse wrote:


Speaking or Mercedes' engine, did anyone see that piece on it the other week? Apparently the turbine housing is at the back of the engine near the exhaust and the compressor housing is at the front away from the extreme heat so doing away with the need for a bigger intercooler. A brilliant piece of design & packaging.


But the pipework must look like one of Bazalgette's London sewer drawings from the 19th century.
Scouse

Big Blue wrote:
Scouse wrote:


Speaking or Mercedes' engine, did anyone see that piece on it the other week? Apparently the turbine housing is at the back of the engine near the exhaust and the compressor housing is at the front away from the extreme heat so doing away with the need for a bigger intercooler. A brilliant piece of design & packaging.


But the pipework must look like one of Bazalgette's London sewer drawings from the 19th century.


That's just it, by separating the turbine & compressor they cut down the pipework. They run the shaft along the top of the V on the engine block.
Dr. Hfuhruhurr

Pole Hamilton
Lap Rosberg
Bonus 1m 40.402s (Sav was closest with 1m 40.8)

1 Hamilton
2 Rosberg
3 Alonso
4 Ricciardo
5 Vettel
6 Hulkenberg
7 Bottas
8 Raikkonen
9 Perez
10 Kvyat
11 Button

Scores

17 - Chris M, the other ct
16 - Scouse
13 - Sav
11 - Humphrey, Skyhook
10 - Big TC, Dr H, BeN, Mrs Skyhook, PhilD
9 - Chocy Rocky, Nice Guy Eddie
8 - Eff One
7 - Gooner
5 - JohnC

Deemed (5 points)

Tim, Big Blue, Giant

Standings

56 - Chris M
48 - the other ct
40 - Sav, Mrs Skyhook
39 - Skyhook
38 - PhilD
35 - JohnC, Humphrey
33 - Dr H, Eff One
30 - Nice Guy Eddie, Big TC
25 - Gooner, Chocy Rocky
24 - BeN
23 - Scouse
22 - Tim
21 - Big Blue
18 - Giant
BeN

Slow start. As usual...
Chris M Wanted a V-10

...and I'd be happy if the season stopped now !
The only way is down
Scouse

16 Points?!? Fuck me I'm disappointed after my consistent start to the season....
Chocy Rocky

I don't know much about F1......but I know more than BeN.
BeN

Chocy Rocky wrote:
I don't know much about F1......but I know more than BeN.


Not by a lot, mind!

Chocy Rocky

BeN wrote:
Chocy Rocky wrote:
I don't know much about F1......but I know more than BeN.


Not by a lot, mind!



True, I think I'll still be battling at the rear of the field.

Best wishes.
Chocy Chilton Rocky.
Sav

Alonsoís first lap was mega in China Ė that should be shown to rookies.

The Ferrari was definitely a better car in Shanghai. The higher degradation and graining seemed to suit the car as well Ė like last year. It was interesting how Alonso could hang with Vettel in the mid-sector, people were praising the Red Bull chassis in that section, but the Ferrari appears to be handy in high speed sweepers imo.

Surprised Red Bull didnít react to Ferrari cleverly doing the undercut on fresh tyres. Alonso was stalking Vettel before the first phase of pitstops, but pulled away from him after that phase despite having older tyres towards the end of the first stint.

I think Ferrari would have preferred the old Barcelona layout with those fast final corners Ė it would disguise the carís lack of tractionÖor for every layout to be like Suzuka.  

Imo, the Mercedes-Benz advantage is bigger than Christian Horner like to think. It isnít just a clear-cut power advantage. In Bahrain, both drivers pulled a 25 second gap in the space of about 10 laps after the restart. It was pretty amazing to watch.

I doubt I will ever like the way they sound. However, I am glad that the powertrain is once again a deciding factor in Formula 1. Without sufficient development, the powertrain builders might as well not bother being involved in the sport if the development permitted is so limited. Choose the right package, as Williams have Ė and it can reward customer teams as well.

Red Bull and Neweyís response is predictable - Red Bull donít like powertrain development, they only like F1 when the decisive development centreís around the chassis and aero.

       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Racing Posts
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum