Archive for The Motor Forum "We are mature men in the highest cadres of our careers"
 


       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Classified Information
Racing Teatray

Discuss

Value?

http://www.4starclassics.com/porsche-356a-speedster-for-sale/
tali

What's with the weird canvas window frame ? -some seem to have it but not all
Roadrunner

Re: Discuss

Racing Teatray wrote:
Value?

http://www.4starclassics.com/porsche-356a-speedster-for-sale/


I have no idea what these normally go for, so cannot comment on value, other than it looking rather a lot for a replica fast Beetle; lovely thing that it is.

My 40k would go elsewhere, but I can understand why someone who wants a stylish 'classic', without maintentance issues would be drawn to it.
TreVoR

I think so.  It isn't a horrible replica using cheap parts.  The original donor car was a Speedster according to the ad and a lot of original parts are used.

There was a 1970s 911 Carrera RS on a TVR run last year which was a very nice replica.  The guy who owned it said he simply couldn't afford a proper one but put the work in with original replacement body parts to produce a very convincing replica that he could afford and would fool most people unless they went digging into the V5.

I do think these are very different to MR2 Ferrari lash ups.
JohnC

Being brought up on Beetles/Karmaan Ghias/Type 2, 3 and 4 I find that rather attractive.

I not sure the vacuum advance pipe will hold a vacuum though and the Solex carb will ice up with that kind of air filter.

I would want it properly looked over to make sure it wasn't a cobbled together wreck masquerading as a rejuvenated athlete.

60hp isn't going to make for very rapid progress although the gearing will make it quite adequate. I'd like to know if that is just a Beetle engine or a genuine Porsche version. I thought the Porsche ones poked out a bit more than 60hp although probably only 70/75hp.

It is a car to enjoy lovely sunny days in the country at a modest pace which will feel at least 20mph faster than it actually is. In many ways a more enjoyable drive than current cars.

40K is a lot of money though and if push came to shove I'd be putting a Boxster in the garage for that money.
Chris M Wanted a V-10

In gerenal terms, old cars tend to be noisy, unreliable, leak oil/fluids, have seals that could perish and disintegrate at any moment and require spares that are often hard, or next-to-impossible to source.   Can't see the appeal of tis one myself; I'd rather have a new Mustang
Nice Guy Eddie

What's a real one 500k? Looks a bargain when you put it up against that.

60 bhp though, forget it. I've driven my fathers 356 which dishes out a heady 95bhp and that feels too slow as it is.
Racing Teatray

Yes, I couldn't gather whether it was based on a genuine (non-Speedster 356) or a period Beetle.
Big Blue

Just makes me want to go back to 1985 and take out a massive loan to buy up used old cars and a dry-storage barn.
PhilD

Big Blue wrote:
Just makes me want to go back to 1985 and take out a massive loan to buy up used old cars and a dry-storage barn.


do us a favour BB, buy a few houses for me in run down South London while you are there.
Tim

It's horrible (as is the real thing IMO).
My 40k would go elsewhere.
Roadrunner

Re: Discuss

Roadrunner wrote:
Racing Teatray wrote:
Value?

http://www.4starclassics.com/porsche-356a-speedster-for-sale/


I have no idea what these normally go for, so cannot comment on value, other than it looking rather a lot for a replica fast Beetle; lovely thing that it is.

My 40k would go elsewhere, but I can understand why someone who wants a stylish 'classic', without maintentance issues would be drawn to it.


I think this represents far better value for the same money

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C674450
JohnC

When I was a boy (pre 10 I think) a neighbour had a large garage with 2 Bristols which he used to work on all the time. He had one of those.
PG

Re: Discuss

Roadrunner wrote:
I think this represents far better value for the same money

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C674450


Definitely.

       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Classified Information
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum