Archive for The Motor Forum "We are mature men in the highest cadres of our careers"
 


       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Classified Information
Tim

Buyer questions

If you were going to phone up a private individual who was selling a used car what (sensible) questions would you ask?
JohnC

Has the car ever had an accident or had paintwork repaired?
How many owners?
Does it have a full service history and who from?
Have you had the car long?
What are you getting to replace it? (to see if they give away why they are selling it)
Would you buy another one?
What does it get to the gallon (lets you know how they treat it)

A lot of the time it is about how they answer rather than what they answer that matters.
Humphrey The Pug

best price for cash, innit?
PG

What paperwork do you have? eg invoices, service book, old MOT's.
Why are you selling it? I'd just ask straight out. If they avoid the question or waffle, assume it has a problem.
What tyres are fitted, and how many miles have they done? If not a matched set might show scrimped maintenance. And if you know how many miles they have done, will show you how they drive.
Any non-standard / non-OEM extras fitted?
Tim

Thanks for the replies.  
DetmoldDick

Say you are phoning about the car, not "I'm phoning about the Golf" for example.
If he asks "which one?" Do a runner.
gooner

DetmoldDick wrote:
Say you are phoning about the car, not "I'm phoning about the Golf" for example.
If he asks "which one?" Do a runner.


That's a good one to ask as there's a lot of traders pretending to be private sellers.
PG

Re: Buyer questions

Tim wrote:
If you were going to phone up a private individual who was selling a used car what (sensible) questions would you ask?


Actually Tim, having thought about it a bit more, surely the only question you need to ask is "is it a BMW?". What else do you need to know?
Tim

Re: Buyer questions

PG wrote:
Tim wrote:
If you were going to phone up a private individual who was selling a used car what (sensible) questions would you ask?


Actually Tim, having thought about it a bit more, surely the only question you need to ask is "is it a BMW?". What else do you need to know?


How about "Is it an Alfa?"  

       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Classified Information
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum