Archive for The Motor Forum "We are mature men in the highest cadres of our careers"
 


       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> General
PG

Bus Lane common sense at last?

I saw on the midlands news yesterday that Coventry city council are suspending some of their bus lanes for 6 months as an experiment to see if it helps traffic flow.

http://www.coventry.gov.uk/news/a...s_bus_lanes_for_a_six_month_trial

At last, maybe a bit of common sense? Bus lanes might be a good idea if they had been added as an extra lane and that buses were banned from the other lanes as a result. But they were nearly always just robbed of normal roads and my experience is that as soon as one bus stops, all the other buses and taxis just pull out into the normal traffic, further fucking everything up.

Of course all the bus and taxi operators were on the news complaining, but I do hope that this results in more bus lanes being taken away.
Humphrey The Pug

The problem with bus lanes is they are there so the busses have exclusive use, people are supposed to see this and go. "Hey the bus is making far more progress than I am in my car so I think I'll  get the bus to work instead of driving".

When in fact due to the cost, the time and inconvenience people don't use busses unless they absolutely have to, thus the roads are still congested and more so due to 1 less lane.

My daughter goes to college 7 miles away, she has to get 2 busses, now if the bus at the bottom of the road actually turned up (there are frequent no shows) she would have to get it at 7:15; she could get a later one however due to experience she wouldn't get to the bus station in town in enough time to get the 8:20 bus to college; contrary to what the time table actually says!

I take her to the bus station twice a week and she gets the bus direct to college from there, the bus from our road takes around 45 minutes to do 3 miles.

This return journey costs 9:00, it actually costs a fiver return to go just into town; 3 miles, when we were in Sardinia a 90 minute bus ticket cost 1.00.

When she passes her driving test and gets a car, the journey to college will take 20 minutes and cost a quid in fuel, plus she will save herself 3 odd hours a day.

Public transport in this country is crap and expensive.
Boxer6

Re: Bus Lane common sense at last?

PG wrote:
I saw on the midlands news yesterday that Coventry city council are suspending some of their bus lanes for 6 months as an experiment to see if it helps traffic flow.

http://www.coventry.gov.uk/news/a...s_bus_lanes_for_a_six_month_trial

At last, maybe a bit of common sense? Bus lanes might be a good idea if they had been added as an extra lane and that buses were banned from the other lanes as a result. But they were nearly always just robbed of normal roads and my experience is that as soon as one bus stops, all the other buses and taxis just pull out into the normal traffic, further fucking everything up.

Of course all the bus and taxi operators were on the news complaining, but I do hope that this results in more bus lanes being taken away.


There are quite a few roads in Glasgow where this would be a boon. Great Western Road for a lot of its length is terrible for them, and there are a few streets in the city centre that have the bus lanes designated as being in 24-hour use (they're not) with 24-hour camera surveillance; I know of a few people who have been 'done' for driving in them in the early hours with NO buses even on the road, far less in the bus lanes (Stockwell Street springs to mind, for those who know it).

Such is the intake from fines, though, I imagine the council would be loath to do away with them.
PhilD

I like bus lanes, but then I do take the bus a lot!
Humphrey The Pug

PhilD wrote:
I like bus lanes, but then I do take the bus a lot!


I like bus lanes when they are out of the bus lane times as I seem to be the only person who uses them, I can feel the burning in my back from the stares of the other drivers as I zoom down their inside, totally unhindered.
JohnC

Re: Bus Lane common sense at last?

Boxer6 wrote:


There are quite a few roads in Glasgow where this would be a boon. Great Western Road for a lot of its length is terrible for them, and there are a few streets in the city centre that have the bus lanes designated as being in 24-hour use (they're not) with 24-hour camera surveillance; I know of a few people who have been 'done' for driving in them in the early hours with NO buses even on the road, far less in the bus lanes (Stockwell Street springs to mind, for those who know it).

Such is the intake from fines, though, I imagine the council would be loath to do away with them.


Completely agree Ian. I hate the way the bus lanes go right up to the lights on Gt Western Road which means if you are trying to turn left you are stuck in a great big queue just to get to the lights when you can then cut across the bus lane. Traffic management madness directed by those who are clueless.

We also have a variety of bus lanes, some with camera enforced money making 24hr operation (Maryhill Rd) or those which are only at certain times (including Saturdays which is more madness). Those new to the city need about 3 sets of eyes to keep up with it all. Stockwell Street is also seriously badly signposted and on a dark wet night you wouldn't have a chance if you didn't know it was there. They should sack all the morons who think this is reasonable behaviour because State sponsored extortion was supposed to be ended several hundred years ago.
gooner

Humphrey The Pug wrote:
PhilD wrote:
I like bus lanes, but then I do take the bus a lot!


I like bus lanes when they are out of the bus lane times as I seem to be the only person who uses them, I can feel the burning in my back from the stares of the other drivers as I zoom down their inside, totally unhindered.


The worst round your neck of the wood is the section in Guildford that runs past the Friary. Trying to get across to the lane for the A281 is a right pain and when it's busy people are always disobeying it.

Of course what Guildford really needs is a north-south bypass!
Tim

Whenever I'm in Edinburgh I avoid the bus lanes as the signs that tell you when you can use them are unreadable, unless you actually stopped to get out and look.

I wish they'd bring back bus stops.
One broke down across from my work this morning and the resultant congestion saw us join a traffic jam halfway across the Tay Bridge whereas there's normally only a few cars at the lights after the bridge.
It caused problems for people heading into the city centre from Perth direction too.
Chris M Wanted a V-10

gooner wrote:

Of course what Guildford really needs is a north-south bypass!

What Guildford really needs is for the entire city/town centre to be demolished and a whole new start made including new roads - and a proper bus station (see Humph's earlier post).  Even going back to the 70's I had to change buses and bus stations in the centre to get to school and back.  They've changed the direction of some 1-way streets over time and still not sorted out the jams that occur every rush-hour as the town and road planners seem to have no idea about traffic patterns
PhilD

gooner wrote:


Of course what Guildford really needs is a north-south bypass!


and when that's done they can build a south-north one.
Big Blue

Bus lanes are generally crap for 20 hours a day as too many in London are 24/7 or 12/6 hours lanes meaning that during the day and at weekends the roads appear more congested than the are as half the road is taken up with emptiness. Another huge problem in London is conflicting operators using very similar routes thus leading to the "bus leaving bus lane to overtake another bus" scenario as opposed to just waiting behind.

I too love driving in bus lanes according to the blue signs. I reckon up to 98% of drivers have no idea about the blue signs, along with 98% of dickhead motorcycle and scooter riders not understanding that if there's no picture of a motorcycle in the blue sign you can't use the lane.
Frank Bullitt

Like others we have bus lanes forged out of existing carriageways with the obvious impact - a frustration for me is that local authorities can identify who is appropriate to use the lanes, and here at least you obviously get buses but also taxi's (why?) but they won't permit ambulances (blue light and PTS) to use the lanes unless on an Emergency Call; I've spoke with them on a number of occasions but got nowhere - the fact that PTS is like a big taxi service (often with multiple users on board) and Emergency Ambulances moving but not blue-light are invariably repositioning themselves to fill gaps on the grid (not an emergency but time is of the essence) when another is on a blue light call is utterly lost on them.
Big Blue

gooner wrote:


Of course what Guildford really needs is.....


.....for the whole of Ladymead developed into a massive multi storey shopping precinct including getting rid of the Porsche and Jaguar showrooms, building huge MS car parks on them, then leaving the town centre as a twee old town with coffee shops, restaurants, views and traffic flowing through it. This would mean the plague of shoppers would never need to go into Guildford: indeed Ladymead could be one way with one double-lane being for access to those new car parks. An on-ramp in the London-bound direction near the Wooden Bridge can be added so going round the roundabout at Ericsson goes back on the A3 whilst a down ramp at Merrow southbound would allow southerners to gain access to the new one-way LadyMead.

Anything else I've forgotten?
gooner

You've forgotten that common sense thinking within local town planning departments was outlawed years ago!
JohnC

Frank Bullitt wrote:
Like others we have bus lanes forged out of existing carriageways with the obvious impact - a frustration for me is that local authorities can identify who is appropriate to use the lanes, and here at least you obviously get buses but also taxi's (why?) but they won't permit ambulances (blue light and PTS) to use the lanes unless on an Emergency Call; I've spoke with them on a number of occasions but got nowhere - the fact that PTS is like a big taxi service (often with multiple users on board) and Emergency Ambulances moving but not blue-light are invariably repositioning themselves to fill gaps on the grid (not an emergency but time is of the essence) when another is on a blue light call is utterly lost on them.


One of the questions you should ask 999 callers is "do you work for the Council". If so they should have an ambulance dispatched from as far away as possible.
PG

Frank Bullitt wrote:
Like others we have bus lanes forged out of existing carriageways with the obvious impact - a frustration for me is that local authorities can identify who is appropriate to use the lanes, and here at least you obviously get buses but also taxi's (why?) but they won't permit ambulances (blue light and PTS) to use the lanes unless on an Emergency Call; I've spoke with them on a number of occasions but got nowhere - the fact that PTS is like a big taxi service (often with multiple users on board) and Emergency Ambulances moving but not blue-light are invariably repositioning themselves to fill gaps on the grid (not an emergency but time is of the essence) when another is on a blue light call is utterly lost on them.


That is just utterly stupid isn't it. But sadly rather typical I fear.
Boxer6

Re: Bus Lane common sense at last?

JohnC wrote:
Boxer6 wrote:


There are quite a few roads in Glasgow where this would be a boon. Great Western Road for a lot of its length is terrible for them, and there are a few streets in the city centre that have the bus lanes designated as being in 24-hour use (they're not) with 24-hour camera surveillance; I know of a few people who have been 'done' for driving in them in the early hours with NO buses even on the road, far less in the bus lanes (Stockwell Street springs to mind, for those who know it).

Such is the intake from fines, though, I imagine the council would be loath to do away with them.


Completely agree Ian. I hate the way the bus lanes go right up to the lights on Gt Western Road which means if you are trying to turn left you are stuck in a great big queue just to get to the lights when you can then cut across the bus lane. Traffic management madness directed by those who are clueless.

We also have a variety of bus lanes, some with camera enforced money making 24hr operation (Maryhill Rd) or those which are only at certain times (including Saturdays which is more madness). Those new to the city need about 3 sets of eyes to keep up with it all. Stockwell Street is also seriously badly signposted and on a dark wet night you wouldn't have a chance if you didn't know it was there. They should sack all the morons who think this is reasonable behaviour because State sponsored extortion was supposed to be ended several hundred years ago.


Stockwell Street s infamous; I think Glassford Street is another, but not certain.
Boxer6

Humphrey The Pug wrote:
PhilD wrote:
I like bus lanes, but then I do take the bus a lot!


I like bus lanes when they are out of the bus lane times as I seem to be the only person who uses them, I can feel the burning in my back from the stares of the other drivers as I zoom down their inside, totally unhindered.


The main arterial route near my office is called Balmore Road, and the bus lanes are part-time as you describe. Like you, I think I'm the only person who uses them outwith them active times; I am rather careful though, as I've lost count of the number of (cretins) people who move and indicate (in that order!) when they get to the end of the solid white line and simply move over to turn left at the lights at the end of the road. The car horn gets a lot of use some days for exactly that reason!
Frank Bullitt

JohnC wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:
Like others we have bus lanes forged out of existing carriageways with the obvious impact - a frustration for me is that local authorities can identify who is appropriate to use the lanes, and here at least you obviously get buses but also taxi's (why?) but they won't permit ambulances (blue light and PTS) to use the lanes unless on an Emergency Call; I've spoke with them on a number of occasions but got nowhere - the fact that PTS is like a big taxi service (often with multiple users on board) and Emergency Ambulances moving but not blue-light are invariably repositioning themselves to fill gaps on the grid (not an emergency but time is of the essence) when another is on a blue light call is utterly lost on them.


One of the questions you should ask 999 callers is "do you work for the Council". If so they should have an ambulance dispatched from as far away as possible.


Everyone you speak to is really very pleasant and understand the stupidity but nobody actually does anything about it
Giant

Frank Bullitt wrote:
JohnC wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:
Like others we have bus lanes forged out of existing carriageways with the obvious impact - a frustration for me is that local authorities can identify who is appropriate to use the lanes, and here at least you obviously get buses but also taxi's (why?) but they won't permit ambulances (blue light and PTS) to use the lanes unless on an Emergency Call; I've spoke with them on a number of occasions but got nowhere - the fact that PTS is like a big taxi service (often with multiple users on board) and Emergency Ambulances moving but not blue-light are invariably repositioning themselves to fill gaps on the grid (not an emergency but time is of the essence) when another is on a blue light call is utterly lost on them.


One of the questions you should ask 999 callers is "do you work for the Council". If so they should have an ambulance dispatched from as far away as possible.


Everyone you speak to is really very pleasant and understand the stupidity but nobody actually does anything about it


That is utterly insane! One of those things that'd never occur to me not to be allowed! How was that decision ever made?
Chris M Wanted a V-10

Giant wrote:

That is utterly insane! One of those things that'd never occur to me not to be allowed! How was that decision ever made?

+1.... I thought that "Blues and twos" meant that emergency service vehicles could do more-or-less what they want, ie drive through red lights, go down one-way-streets the wrong way when safe to do so etc.
On the A30 around Camberley there is a bus lane that is for buses and LGV's; so it's OK for a delivery truck to use it, but not for an ambulance on a 999 call..... utterly insane
PhilD

Chris M Wanted a V-10 wrote:
Giant wrote:

That is utterly insane! One of those things that'd never occur to me not to be allowed! How was that decision ever made?

+1.... I thought that "Blues and twos" meant that emergency service vehicles could do more-or-less what they want, ie drive through red lights, go down one-way-streets the wrong way when safe to do so etc.
On the A30 around Camberley there is a bus lane that is for buses and LGV's; so it's OK for a delivery truck to use it, but not for an ambulance on a 999 call..... utterly insane


When not on an emergency call Chris, do keep up  
Frank Bullitt

Chris M Wanted a V-10 wrote:
Giant wrote:

That is utterly insane! One of those things that'd never occur to me not to be allowed! How was that decision ever made?

+1.... I thought that "Blues and twos" meant that emergency service vehicles could do more-or-less what they want, ie drive through red lights, go down one-way-streets the wrong way when safe to do so etc.
On the A30 around Camberley there is a bus lane that is for buses and LGV's; so it's OK for a delivery truck to use it, but not for an ambulance on a 999 call..... utterly insane


Each authority has the ability to set the criteria, in our case nobody though to consult when it was set up and nobody seems to be able to change this on reflection. I've no doubt in other towns PTS and Emergency Ambulances that are not on a blue light will be able to.

When on Blue's and Two's it is correct they can essentially go where they want but the driver is still fully accountable for their actions (i.e. going through a red light), so going down one-way roads is not terribly common
Roadsterstu

Tidal flow bus lanes that are operating only at morning peak times in and evening peak times out, are OK in my opinion. Or bus lanes that are suspended off peak.

I like catching private hire drivers who think they are a hackney carriage driver using the bus lanes. They know they shouldn't but they do.
Bob Sacamano

Frank Bullitt wrote:
Like others we have bus lanes forged out of existing carriageways with the obvious impact - a frustration for me is that local authorities can identify who is appropriate to use the lanes, and here at least you obviously get buses but also taxi's (why?) but they won't permit ambulances (blue light and PTS) to use the lanes unless on an Emergency Call; I've spoke with them on a number of occasions but got nowhere - the fact that PTS is like a big taxi service (often with multiple users on board) and Emergency Ambulances moving but not blue-light are invariably repositioning themselves to fill gaps on the grid (not an emergency but time is of the essence) when another is on a blue light call is utterly lost on them.


It must be tempting to instruct them to use the bus lanes and just ignore the fines - much like the foreign embassies do in London with the congestion charge.
Roadsterstu

Chris M Wanted a V-10 wrote:
Giant wrote:

That is utterly insane! One of those things that'd never occur to me not to be allowed! How was that decision ever made?

+1.... I thought that "Blues and twos" meant that emergency service vehicles could do more-or-less what they want, ie drive through red lights, go down one-way-streets the wrong way when safe to do so etc.
On the A30 around Camberley there is a bus lane that is for buses and LGV's; so it's OK for a delivery truck to use it, but not for an ambulance on a 999 call..... utterly insane


There are only limited exemptions from The Road Traffic Act for emergency vehicles.

       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> General
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum