Archive for The Motor Forum "We are mature men in the highest cadres of our careers"
 


       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Test Driven
Michael

BMW M3 (e92)

A bit of history about this car. A friend of a friend had it for sale and I was directed to it having expressed an interest in getting one. I went along to test it a few months ago but decided it wasn't the right car. However, the other friend I took along decided it was the car for him and bought it. When he went on holiday he left the car with me to persuade me into getting one.

So, for the last week I've been enjoying this M3. Some will have clocked the non standard wheels, the dechromed grills and the white paintwork and be horrified. I however love it. I think this is a truly good looking car, wide, low and suitably purposeful. The standard e92 is a lovely shape but the M additions pump it up just so.

It sounds wonderful. Properly burbling and all V8. Even a feathering of the throttle has the engine freely revving but of course I am used to diesel.
The drive, familiar to the Alpina in places but sat lower, on better seats and a greater sense of solidity to the controls. Oh, and it goes. This is a properly fast car, there is no doubting it's speed as it conveys the sensation of it very well but the familiar 3 series cabin makes it even more startling. Lines of traffic are easily dispatched and the way it keeps piling on the mph up to and including the national speed limit (officer) is quite remarkable. The fuel economy is obviously terrible but the fuel tank isn't huge so the real pain is having to fill it up quite often.

So, it's sort of when rather than if I'll get one. I want the competition pack and I'd like to try an SMG to see if I get on with it. I think I'd go for black or blue rather than white, also.

It went home today and I miss it.  Great car.




A fine pairing
gooner

It does look pretty good in that colour combo and I don't mind the black grills (they'd look shit on a 320d version though!)
Chris M Wanted a V-10

Re: BMW M3 (e92)

Michael wrote:

A fine pairing

in black and white
Twelfth Monkey

The high-revving nat asp lump's heyday has passed.  Don't leave it too long...
cbeaks1

Do you want the double can in can dog carrier quote?

Or even double cab in van.
Stuntman

Glad you liked it.  7 years and 53k miles later, mine's rather grown on me.  Many people say that the DCT gearbox really suits the high-revving nature of the engine and the shifts are meant to be really good (much better than the SMG technology of the E46).
JohnC

Cars with the Competition Pack are hard to find especially at the right price but there are plenty of one/two owner well looked after examples in non Competition Spec at reasonable prices.

As Twelfth said, don't leave it too long otherwise the only ones left will be the blinged up ones with non standard bits added or black wheels (which, personally I think look horrendous on an M3)
gonnabuildabuggy

That is good timing. I'd been browsing these earlier this week, together with 335i's.

IMHO the E92 is the best looking 3 series of all time, which is odd as I'd say the E90 is the worse looking.

As you say the M3 version lifts the shape even more.

Right now I'd be torn between a 335i and an M3 purely on price difference but the V8 burble (is the E92 M3 the smallest V8 you can buy?) and fact most are highly speced might be the deciding factor.

Following on from the "life's too short" comments, then an E92 is easily justifiable as an addition to the fleet but I fear lack of space will mean it's not on the cards for another few years if I am realistic, by which time I'm hoping 5.0 Mustangs are within reach.
Michael

gonnabuildabuggy wrote:


Right now I'd be torn between a 335i and an M3 purely on price difference but the V8 burble (is the E92 M3 the smallest V8 you can buy?) and fact most are highly speced might be the deciding factor.


I don't think it's the smallest V8 but happy to be proven wrong. Think you know the correct answer is do it properly, get an M3.

Stuntman, DCT, thats the one. I need to try one with it. There is more choice particularly amongst the competition pack cars. I'm going to wait to later in the year but as mentioned I can't leave it too long as I think the window of opportunity is closing.
Cbeaks the van won't be far away.
Martin

Not keen on it in white, but in blue or black they still look great.  The infotainment system is much improved in the later cars, late 2009 onwards, so they're the ones to go for.

GBB - if you reall want a Mustang, then I'd stick with what you have, so it feels even more special when you get one.
gonnabuildabuggy

Martin wrote:
GBB - if you reall want a Mustang, then I'd stick with what you have, so it feels even more special when you get one.


Good point. Though after driving the FRV (which is what I end up doing during the week if I need a car generally) then even the Cooper D feels incredibly special.

Right now I'm being way to sensible!!!

Michael - I was thinking car length rather than engine size. My work parking situation means size matters! It's the only downer of a Mustang.
Racing Teatray

When I drove a manual E92 M3 I wasn't blown away. But I do like the look and general package, so would need to try the DCT version.
Stuntman

Martin wrote:
Not keen on it in white, but in blue or black they still look great.  The infotainment system is much improved in the later cars, late 2009 onwards, so they're the ones to go for.


It's rare for me to trump Martin on the BMW anorak front, but it's late 2008 onwards (58 plate).  My car is a March 09 build and is an LCI car.  LCIs have the better iDrive and Nav.  I've seen a couple of 58 plate LCI M3s.  

However, most of the 58 and 09 registered M3s were the pre-LCI cars that were sat in showrooms or registered with delivery mileage at the time of the Financial Crisis.  In late 08/early 09 you could buy one of these cars for between £36k and £39k depending how hard you haggled.  However, I wanted an LCI car, new and ordered to my own spec.
Racing Teatray

Stuntman wrote:
 LCIs have the immeasurably better iDrive and Nav.  


FYP...

I don't think I could go back to the old iDrive/Nav interface. The revised one is as good as the old one was unfathomable.
Martin

Stuntman wrote:
Martin wrote:
Not keen on it in white, but in blue or black they still look great.  The infotainment system is much improved in the later cars, late 2009 onwards, so they're the ones to go for.


It's rare for me to trump Martin on the BMW anorak front, but it's late 2008 onwards (58 plate).  My car is a March 09 build and is an LCI car.  LCIs have the better iDrive and Nav.  I've seen a couple of 58 plate LCI M3s.  

However, most of the 58 and 09 registered M3s were the pre-LCI cars that were sat in showrooms or registered with delivery mileage at the time of the Financial Crisis.  In late 08/early 09 you could buy one of these cars for between £36k and £39k depending how hard you haggled.  However, I wanted an LCI car, new and ordered to my own spec.


Exactly, there are 09 reg pre LCI cars out there, hence why you're fairly safe if you go for a late 2009 car.  So that's why I suggested it.  

I've also seen cars with the later idrive controller but the original system.
Stuntman

My M3 purchase and delivery threads from the forum archives for Michael:

http://themotor.myfastforum.org/about10168.html

http://themotor.myfastforum.org/about10899.html
Big Blue

Michael you Bastard!

I still really want one (and was doubly pissed off when W2.0 looked at a Java Green one after I didn't buy it for her and said "Oh yeah, I love that" when I had already bought the Gorilla).

Comp pack and extended leather with DCT are the must haves. Mostly around £30k but too many with black wheels.

Glad you've confirmed that I still really need to buy one
cbeaks1

Doesn't cost much to repaint wheels. Get 1 bought!
Tim

I'd have one of these like a shot but I also want a Mustang and another Alfa GT V6 plus I don't want to get rid of any of the cars I already have.

I think I'll have to peruse Matchbox's range  

I think it would make a perfect partner for the Volvo as it's such a huge contrast.
Michael

gonnabuildabuggy wrote:

Michael - I was thinking car length rather than engine size. My work parking situation means size matters! It's the only downer of a Mustang.


I think there are shorter V8s and work space parking is one of the high things on my list of considerations, too. For that reason the AMV8 would fit your bill as would a Ferrari 355 or an SLK AMG if you need to be practical. They're all two seats but I assume your kids will be at uni soon anyway and it's not like you don't have other cars. If you need more seats I think Audi S4s, the older model, and 12ths RS4 are likely shorter than an M3. You're welcome.

For my M3 it will have to be an LCI and having set a firm budget of £20k and moving it incrementally (as was only adding a little more) it seems 28 will get a good one from a BMW dealer leaving enough money to repaint the wheels.
Stuntman

Competition Pack would indeed be nice to have, but unless you're going to doorhandle the car regularly I wouldn't be overly concerned about needing it.  The standard car is mighty fine, as you know.  Find one in a nice colour that's been looked after.  I think mine would make a good buy for someone one day...
Michael

I have no qualms about admitting the competition pack is entirely about the wheels.
Chris M Wanted a V-10

Tim wrote:
I think it would make a perfect partner for the Volvo as it's such a huge contrast.

That's still 2 fairly large cars; a better partner would be a Fiesta Ecoboost, ideal as a city car plus it's got the power and refinement for longer journeys too  
Martin

And he could just about get half of one dog in the boot.....
Andy C

Stuntman wrote:
 I think mine would make a good buy for someone one day...


Any ideas when ?
Big Blue

Careful on the LCI date. Loads of 2010 cars are actually pre-LCI and you're better looking at 2011s.

The Comp Wheels are £2800 I think.
Sav

The E92 Competition wheels are my second favourite design, the first being the original E46 CSL wheels.

A neighbour of mine used to have an E90 M3 Saloon, then had an E91 335i Touring, but has now returned to an M3 albeit in E92 guise.
Stuntman

Andy C wrote:
Stuntman wrote:
 I think mine would make a good buy for someone one day...


Any ideas when ?


Ages yet, hopefully...  
Giant

Looks great and sounds like it's lured you in! I prefer the E90 M3 over the E92 but that's just personal preference.

Has swapping Alpina to Volvo driven you towards wanting a fun second car, perfectly fit for purpose though it is?
Michael

When I got the Volvo it was also going to be a work horse in a two car strategy, the family hack to borrow a terrible phrase from  Autocar. I just need to arrange the finances now then the next stage is to add a van.

       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Test Driven
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum