Archive for The Motor Forum "We are mature men in the highest cadres of our careers"
 


       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Racing Posts
Chocy Rocky

2015 Driver numbers.

I love the picture they have for Max Verstappen.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news...gits-to-look-for-on-the-cars?3456
Boxer6

I find a few things about this list odd tbh (and not just Verstappen's photie!)

First, why is Hamilton racing with No. 44? If he must, it should at least be a smaller number at the base of the 1, much as Valentino and Schwantz (among others) did in Moto GP.

Second, when did No. 13 make an appearance? My memory (which isn't the best, I admit) would tell me that 13 was specifically ignored for years, due to the "unlucky" connotations associated with it; hence, the numbers after 12 in respect of team pairings were always "one out", so to speak.

I suspect I'm at risk of turning into some sort of old fuddy-duddy, but I can't help thinking 1-23 or 1-25 as a numbering sytem (minus the "13" of course!) is quite sufficient.

[I'm wondering now if this shouldn't be in the "Rants" thread!]
DetmoldDick

I don't remember Rossi carrying any number other than 46.
Boxer6

DetmoldDick wrote:
I don't remember Rossi carrying any number other than 46.


I'm fairly sure he had #46 at the base of the Champions "1" for at least one season, if not more. Like I said, my memory for these things is getting worse every day it seems!
PhilD

Boxer6 wrote:


First, why is Hamilton racing with No. 44?



Because drivers were allowed to pick their own number to use for the rest of their career and he chose his old karting number (and no doubt an expert advised that 44 is more marketable in some way)
Big Blue

Yes, the drivers got to choose numbers as this gives them some additional marketing.  The rider numbers in MotoGP have been flexible like this for ages (Schwantz always rode 34 in the 80s for instance and Sheene wanted 7 in the 70s). As with the fiasco that was the delayed implication of on board cameras in the 80s and the official shiteness of the social media and streaming abilities F1 is late to catch up with the times.
Chris M Wanted a V-10

Boxer6 wrote:
First, why is Hamilton racing with No. 44? If he must, it should at least be a smaller number at the base of the 1, much as Valentino and Schwantz (among others) did in Moto GP.


As World Champion, he has the choice of using either "1" or his own racing number; he's chosen the latter (even if his team would prefer "1" to signify that the WC is driving for them, I believe his wish over-rides this)
Boxer6

Big Blue wrote:
Yes, the drivers got to choose numbers as this gives them some additional marketing.  The rider numbers in MotoGP have been flexible like this for ages (Schwantz always rode 34 in the 80s for instance and Sheene wanted 7 in the 70s). As with the fiasco that was the delayed implication of on board cameras in the 80s and the official shiteness of the social media and streaming abilities F1 is late to catch up with the times.


Your memory being better than mine, did Rossi ride with #46 in the 1 or not? I'm wondering now if I was actually thinking of Schwantz's #34 in the 1, or maybe #1 in the 34? Or Rossi with #1 in his 46?

My head hurts now…...
Big Blue

Apparently Rossi has worn the number 1 on the shoulder of his leathers and never had "1" on his bike. Lorenzo was cool as champion, having his initials "JL" formed to make a number 1.

This has just made me look back at some photos on the web of the 2 stroke era. Some fab 250 shots of Kocinski and my utter hero of the era Luca Cadalora. Nothing will ever come close to 250 2-stroke road racing.

simonp

Are those 2 team mates? Just noticed they have different oil sponsors on their screens.
Big Blue

No

One was run by Kenny Roberts snr (19, Kocinski) and the other by Agostini (Cadalora). So 2 Yamaha champions running 2 future champions. One sponsored by Philip Morris USA one by Philip Morris in Europe, them what pay for much of Ferrari F1 and who have just handed their main man to Ferrari as principle.

       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Racing Posts
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum