Archive for The Motor Forum "We are mature men in the highest cadres of our careers"
 


       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Your Motor
Giant

'66 plates

Hadn't realised this was today, until I saw an astral estate at 7am[/code]
Bob Sacamano

We're picking ours up Sat and the hire company is supposed to be dropping another off to me next week.
gonnabuildabuggy

Bob Sacamano wrote:
We're picking ours up Sat and the hire company is supposed to be dropping another off to me next week.


Two cars?

Next door neighbour has a brand new Ford Edge arriving today.

I'm excited to see it and really like them, but fear he might find it rather large (replaces a Hyundai SUV).

I find the idea of a large SUV with a 2l 4 pot diesel quite strange
Nice Guy Eddie

Saw 9 66 plate Transits in convoy on the M25 yesterday.
Frank Bullitt

My first was in the dealer compound at Perrys CitroŽn in MK last Wednesday.

Mrs FB saw one yesterday being driven, I assume on trade plates.
PG

gonnabuildabuggy wrote:
Next door neighbour has a brand new Ford Edge arriving today.

I'm excited to see it and really like them, but fear he might find it rather large (replaces a Hyundai SUV).

I find the idea of a large SUV with a 2l 4 pot diesel quite strange


I thought the Edge was X3 / Discovery Sport sized? In which case a 2.0L diesel seems de rigeur (if rather dull). I drove a previous generation Edge in the US several years ago and it was much nicer with a petrol engine.
Roadsterstu

Saw se eral lined up and ready to go, yesterday, at the Fiat/Kia/Renault dealer. Nkt been out yet today so not seen any on the roads.
Roadsterstu

PG wrote:
gonnabuildabuggy wrote:
Next door neighbour has a brand new Ford Edge arriving today.

I'm excited to see it and really like them, but fear he might find it rather large (replaces a Hyundai SUV).

I find the idea of a large SUV with a 2l 4 pot diesel quite strange


I thought the Edge was X3 / Discovery Sport sized? In which case a 2.0L diesel seems de rigeur (if rather dull). I drove a previous generation Edge in the US several years ago and it was much nicer with a petrol engine.


It is. I guess it's no different, really. That said, they should have a V6 or a V8 to be a "proper" American SUV.
Bob Sacamano

I think the Edge is X5 size. They have the Kuga to compete with the X3, Qashqai etc
Michael

Doesn't the X5 kick off with a 2ltr diesel these days?
Humphrey The Pug

Bob Sacamano wrote:
I think the Edge is X5 size. They have the Kuga to compete with the X3, Qashqai etc


New Koleos is out next year; I think, it's a larger Kadjar in the vein of an X-Trail, given Renault's current engine line up I can't see that having anything larger than a 1.6 diesel.
Martin

Michael wrote:
Doesn't the X5 kick off with a 2ltr diesel these days?


It does, the 25d with 230bhp. †It only saves you £1600 to get one instead of the 30d or slightly more if you have the 2WD version, not worth the saving.

I thought the Ford Edge was slightly smaller than an X5 but I might be wrong. †You can have a 180 or 210hp engine, so it could be worse.

I've not seen a 66 yet, Lindsay saw a Boxster last week but that doesn't count as it was in the showroom awaiting collection
gooner

Martin wrote:
Michael wrote:
Doesn't the X5 kick off with a 2ltr diesel these days?


It does, the 25d with 230bhp. †It only saves you £1600 to get one instead of the 30d or slightly more if you have the 2WD version, not worth the saving.

I thought the Ford Edge was slightly smaller than an X5 but I might be wrong. †You can have a 180 or 210hp engine, so it could be worse.

I've not seen a 66 yet, Lindsay saw a Boxster last week but that doesn't count as it was in the showroom awaiting collection


I imagine the fuel saving and lower tax liability is the driver behind offering a 2.0ltr in such a big car and 230bhp is 50 more than the original 3.0ltr diesel had!
PhilD

66 is a good number. Will there be a 69?
Bob Sacamano

PhilD wrote:
66 is a good number. Will there be a 69?


Not in this house there won't.
Racing Teatray

The partner I work for was late in this morning and it transpired that it was because he has just picked up his new 66-plate Lexus RX450h.
Chip Butty

In the US, Edges come with the ecoboost V6 (and the ecoboost 4 pot if want)

Europe gets diesel mince only
gooner

Just saw a brand new Scirocco being filled up by the local VW dealer at the petrol station across from work.
Frank Bullitt

gooner wrote:
Martin wrote:
Michael wrote:
Doesn't the X5 kick off with a 2ltr diesel these days?


It does, the 25d with 230bhp. †It only saves you £1600 to get one instead of the 30d or slightly more if you have the 2WD version, not worth the saving.

I thought the Ford Edge was slightly smaller than an X5 but I might be wrong. †You can have a 180 or 210hp engine, so it could be worse.

I've not seen a 66 yet, Lindsay saw a Boxster last week but that doesn't count as it was in the showroom awaiting collection


I imagine the fuel saving and lower tax liability is the driver behind offering a 2.0ltr in such a big car and 230bhp is 50 more than the original 3.0ltr diesel had!


Indeed, it might warp our minds a little but even the V8 Range Rover had something like 185bhp and much less torques than a modern 4-pot petrol; okay, the experience may be lacking but I don't suppose the performance is.
Michael

As I noted in my XC90 bit, cylinder count doesn't bother a lot of people as long as it goes. I'd happily have the T8 drivetrain over a six cylinder diesel.
Roadsterstu

Chip Butty wrote:
In the US, Edges come with the ecoboost V6 (and the ecoboost 4 pot if want)

Europe gets diesel mince only


In the land of turbo 3.5 V6 Transits, it's not surprising, really.
Martin

More and more Amercian cars are 4 pots these days, seeing a Cadillac with a 2.0T badge looks so wrong.
Chip Butty

Quote:
I'd happily have the T8 drivetrain over a six cylinder diesel.


If I was being BIK'd - most definitely.
Stuntman

I saw a 66 plate BMW 3 series convertible today in a nice dark metallic blue.
tali

Drove a 66 reg VW  Transporter today - (so that's a consecutive run  New -reg Sept  1  
Transporter was afaik 105bhp.Fine van.As long as you don't want to carry anything........
66 reg spots
BMW I3
VW Passat
Merc S class
A couple of vans and cars i can't recall i had difficulty keeping track  -think this has been my best first day sightings


Martin wrote:
Michael wrote:
Doesn't the X5 kick off with a 2ltr diesel these days?


It does, the 25d with 230bhp. †It only saves you £1600 to get one instead of the 30d or slightly more if you have the 2WD version, not worth the saving.

I thought the Ford Edge was slightly smaller than an X5 but I might be wrong. †You can have a 180 or 210hp engine, so it could be worse.

I've not seen a 66 yet, Lindsay saw a Boxster last week but that doesn't count as it was in the showroom awaiting collection





Range Rover to get 4 pot  aswell
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land...-gets-cheaper-cleaner-4cyl-diesel
Martin

Saw my first 66 this morning, a 408 RXH.
Michael

Saw one, a Macan. I must say they're not ageing so well.
Roadsterstu

My first 66 plate on the road was last night. A twattishly-driven 320d (not sure what spec, but had a very small, black lip spoiler on the bootlid. Sport? M Sport?) being driven by some tattooed ape with enormous biceps. It forced it's way out of a junction and was then driven very erratically - speeding up, slowing down, wandering about the road. In the end I overtook it when it dithered for too long and the traffic ahead left us.
Martin

Just been looking around my Project Managers new company car, an X1 25d M Sport with some options.  It's a huge improvement on the old model.
Roadsterstu

Martin wrote:
Just been looking around my Project Managers new company car, an X1 25d M Sport with some options. †It's a huge improvement on the old model.


Never mind that, what was the spec of the 3-Series I mentioned?!
Martin

No idea, it will be a dealer accessory, so you can stick a spoiler on any one.  Probably an M Sport but need more detail.....
simonp

Saw my first and only yesterday on the M3. A red Golf GTD.
Andy C

Saw my first today, a grey A3 saloon.  What a good looking car that is.
tali

66 reg Qashqai, Kia estate ,Evoque.
PG

In the Jag dealer yesterday (while getting some oil), three 66 plate F-Pace's all ready to go out.

And somebody has actually bought a gold one with black wheels.


Roadsterstu

Martin wrote:
No idea, it will be a dealer accessory, so you can stick a spoiler on any one. †Probably an M Sport but need more detail.....


I think only 1 exhaust and I have absolutely no idea which headlights it had!!
Blarno

Bright orange Evoque cabrio. In Cheshire.

Nuff said.
Martin

Roadsterstu wrote:
Martin wrote:
No idea, it will be a dealer accessory, so you can stick a spoiler on any one. †Probably an M Sport but need more detail.....


I think only 1 exhaust and I have absolutely no idea which headlights it had!!


Likely to be a 318d then as the 320d gets twin pipes now.
Boxer6

My one and only '66 plate so far was this morning on the way to the Scottish Air Show, and it was a corker.

V12 Vantage 'S', and very nice it was too.

I think it's the first one I've ever seen on the road at all, actually.
Chip Butty

That's a first edition in Halcyon Gold - fab colour, but not officially available in the UK
Boxer6

Chip Butty wrote:
That's a first edition in Halcyon Gold - fab colour, but not officially available in the UK


I presume you speak of the F-Pace?

The Aston was the same colour scheme as on their website - grey with yellow mirrors and highlights.
Chris M Wanted a V-10

Last night... an Audi TT but it was being driven in a way that you wouldn't think such a new car should be driven
Humphrey The Pug

First spot was an Aston DB11; very nice too.
Boxer6

Welsh-registered 330e this morning.

It was behind me when I got on the M80 and it took until he passed me for me to realise the rather exotic DRL's belonged to the hybrid variant!

It was a gent in his 60's driving it, though he did adhere to BMW-spec lane discipline; stayed in the outside lane aalllllll the way, despite by then travelling a good 10mph slower than anyone else!  
Tim

I still haven't spotted any!
DetmoldDick

Saw two on Friday, both JLR products; an F-Pace and a Discovery Sport. That's here in the Fatherland.
Grampa

First time I've seen a new reg on the day they're issued for about 7 or 8 years.
Roadsterstu

Boxer6 wrote:
Welsh-registered 330e this morning.

It was behind me when I got on the M80 and it took until he passed me for me to realise the rather exotic DRL's belonged to the hybrid variant!

It was a gent in his 60's driving it, though he did adhere to BMW-spec lane discipline; stayed in the outside lane aalllllll the way, despite by then travelling a good 10mph slower than anyone else! †


Isn't that just the "M80 way"?
Boxer6

Roadsterstu wrote:
Boxer6 wrote:
Welsh-registered 330e this morning.

It was behind me when I got on the M80 and it took until he passed me for me to realise the rather exotic DRL's belonged to the hybrid variant!

It was a gent in his 60's driving it, though he did adhere to BMW-spec lane discipline; stayed in the outside lane aalllllll the way, despite by then travelling a good 10mph slower than anyone else! †


Isn't that just the "M80 way"?


There is that, indeed.
Michael

I've seen a few now and every single one has been some sort of SUV. I haven't seen a single regular Astra/Focus new plate which is quite unusual but perhaps a sign of the times.
Bob Sacamano

I saw a 66 plate TT yesterday and when I get a few minutes, and remember how to, I'll upload pics of Mrs Sacamano's new Qashqai.
PR

I've only noticed two so far - a grey Octavia vRS estate first thing in the morning on the 1st; and a McLaren something-or-other today, travelling in convoy with a Cayman GT4.
tali

66 reg BMW X3, Passat Estate,Ford Transit
gooner

I've only seen two 66 plates so far, both of them Sciroccos. Bit odd to see such an old model as the only new registration car on my rounds.
Grampa

gooner wrote:
I've only seen two 66 plates so far, both of them Sciroccos. Bit odd to see such an old model as the only new registration car on my rounds.


New ones seem very rare now - I've only seen a handful of the facelifted model (thank goodness) - aside from adding the ugly front and mismatched rear lights, they've rather fucked up the buying choices as well.

I would never replace like for like anyway, but there is no way I would replace mine with what's now on offer.
tali

66 reg Yeti, something else can't recall  and this  with a badly scuffed rear alloy

Boxer6

Saw a new Yeti driving down our (cul-de-sac) road last night; wonderfully, it was in Twelfth's favourite scheme - red with black roof and alloys!
Giant

Saw an F Pace with a plate something along the lines of WA6 6AL
Chris M Wanted a V-10

tali wrote:
66 reg Yeti, something else can't recall †and this †with a badly scuffed rear alloy



You can tell you are in the UK - views blighted by a multitude of wheelie bins. High time that we forced councils to collect rubbish from back/side doors, as they used to until fairly recently (IMHO)
Boxer6

225 miles from home to Southport and saw ONE 66 plate - a rather grubby Ford Ranger in a sort of burnt orange colour. Nasty.
JohnC

I saw my first 66 plate last night - a Merc B Class Hybrid which I didn't even know existed. It had a sign in the back window where you would expect to see a dealer's sticker, which said Electric Vehicle!

EDIT: I have just looked it up and it isn't a hybrid, it is an electric only car with a range of up to 124 miles!
Tim

Finally saw one - a BMW 520d.
That's it though.
Boxer6

Trailer-load of Nissans this afternoon. Do they count?
Bryan M

Not seen one yet but that will be rectified on Friday if nothing else turns up in the meantime!
tali

Would be easier for me to list days where i HAVEN'T seen a 66 reg
Tim

I saw the same Mazda 3 twice yesterday and then a bus this morning so that makes 3 in total in 2 weeks.
Giant

Today I find myself in a 66 plate Fiesta. Sourcing a rear screen for the astra has taken so long that the lease on the courtesy 2008 has run out so had to swap to the fiesta this morning.

Epic fun to drive
Utterly gutless engine (petrol, 4cyl, only 200 miles on the clock)
Hate the seats, neither lumbar nor shoulders supported.
Interior betrays every day of it's 9years+age
Boxer6

My boss has today taken delivery of a Merc A180d. In grey.

At the dealer first thing this morning for a supposed hassle-free swap of her traded-in Rav4. Some sort of issue, which could be resolved by them only, resulted in her not getting to the office until 11:30!! We're literally only 5 minutes from the dealer here - someone would have taken her down when they eventually got things sorted, instead of "it'll be ready soon" every 10 minutes!  

It's rather taken the shine off her new car, even if it is a boggo A-class!
Chris M Wanted a V-10

Giant wrote:
Today I find myself in a 66 plate Fiesta.....
Epic fun to drive
Utterly gutless engine (petrol, 4cyl, only 200 miles on the clock)
Hate the seats, neither lumbar nor shoulders supported.
Interior betrays every day of it's 9years+age

The loan Fiesta I had when the Ka was being attended to had a gutless 4-cylinder engine but was epic fun to drive, hence the test drive in an Ecoboost which was a revelation.
Not had a problem with the seats in mine, but opting for Titanium spec brought climate control, avoiding having to do daily battle with the badly positioned and hard-to-read manual system controls
Roadsterstu

Boxer6 wrote:
My boss has today taken delivery of a Merc A180d. In grey.

At the dealer first thing this morning for a supposed hassle-free swap of her traded-in Rav4. Some sort of issue, which could be resolved by them only, resulted in her not getting to the office until 11:30!! We're literally only 5 minutes from the dealer here - someone would have taken her down when they eventually got things sorted, instead of "it'll be ready soon" every 10 minutes! †

It's rather taken the shine off her new car, even if it is a boggo A-class!


Arnold Shark?
Boxer6

Roadsterstu wrote:
Boxer6 wrote:
My boss has today taken delivery of a Merc A180d. In grey.

At the dealer first thing this morning for a supposed hassle-free swap of her traded-in Rav4. Some sort of issue, which could be resolved by them only, resulted in her not getting to the office until 11:30!! We're literally only 5 minutes from the dealer here - someone would have taken her down when they eventually got things sorted, instead of "it'll be ready soon" every 10 minutes! †

It's rather taken the shine off her new car, even if it is a boggo A-class!


Arnold Shark?


Surprisingly not - Mercedes Benz of Glasgow at Dobbie's Loan.
JohnC

Boxer6 wrote:

Surprisingly not - Mercedes Benz of Glasgow at Dobbie's Loan.


I have never liked going in to that garage.

There is an older guy in charge in the used car section who seems to do everything he can to make sure you are so pissed off that you won't buy anything from them.

The new guys are so sales driven that they forget they are dealing with people and not everyone is prepared or willing to agree to sign on the dotted line after 5 minutes without seeing the colour or a similar car. I still remember being in the garage and there was a very upset woman picking up her new C Class who found her car didn't have parking sensors when she was told the demonstrator she had driven was exactly the same as the car she was buying.
Tim

Boxer6 wrote:
Roadsterstu wrote:
Arnold Shark?


Surprisingly not - Mercedes Benz of Glasgow at Dobbie's Loan.


Is it John weir because if it is AC took them over about 3 years ago but as far as I'm aware they haven't put AC branding anywhere (I don't recall seeing any at Merc in Perth a couple of weeks ago).
Boxer6

Tim wrote:
Boxer6 wrote:
Roadsterstu wrote:
Arnold Shark?


Surprisingly not - Mercedes Benz of Glasgow at Dobbie's Loan.


Is it John weir because if it is AC took them over about 3 years ago but as far as I'm aware they haven't put AC branding anywhere (I don't recall seeing any at Merc in Perth a couple of weeks ago).


Not sure Tim, not a place I even pass by very often recently; I will have a look when I'm out later.

I think you're right about Perth too, as I'm sure they're still branded as John Weir there.
Tim

Hopefully I'll be able to check on Sunday as I drift past sideways on my Mustang test drive  
JohnC

I thought that Stratstone now owned Glasgow Mercedes.

       The Motor Forum Forum Index -> Your Motor
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum